Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your idea of competitive (hourly) pay?

Options
  • 16-06-2021 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I went for a job interview today (p/t, home care sector).
    The job description said "competitive pay".

Minimum wage is €10.20. Soooooo...I was expecting a "competitive" hourly rate of...maybe €14 or 15?

(I do appreciate that this is a lowly-paid sector and having been self-employed for more than two decades I may be a wee bit out of touch with reality).

Thankfully I was wearing a face mask and so the interviewers couldn't see my jaw drop when the rate of pay was revealed to be...

€11/hr.

That's "competitive"??? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I went for a job interview today (p/t, home care sector).
    The job description said "competitive pay".

Minimum wage is €10.20. Soooooo...I was expecting a "competitive" hourly rate of...maybe €14 or 15?

(I do appreciate that this is a lowly-paid sector and having been self-employed for more than two decades I may be a wee bit out of touch with reality).

Thankfully I was wearing a face mask and so the interviewers couldn't see my jaw drop when the rate of pay was revealed to be...

€11/hr.

That's "competitive"??? :eek:

Depends on a few factors, part of the country for one or if it was a training wage and you can expect to get regular increases with experience. 11 is pretty Sh!te though.

Even shi**ier when you never know what hours you are working.

I wonder how much the clients are charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Probably double or triple the €11 rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

kravmaga wrote: »
    Probably double or triple the €11 rate

I've seen what I'm charged out at to clients, and it's about 2.5 times what I get paid by my employer per hour. It makes sense... they need to make money from me doing what I do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you got a Level 5 (of above) qual in a relevant discipline?

If so, competitive would be on a par with the HSE starting rate of 13.82 - realistically that's who they are competiting with for staff.

If not then 11 per hour sounds fine as a training rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I've seen what I'm charged out at to clients, and it's about 2.5 times what I get paid by my employer per hour. It makes sense... they need to make money from me doing what I do as well.

Of course

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NoIdea99

Home carer rates with a company such as say Caremark is €24 per hour .. just outside Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Whenever they say competitive, negotiable basically any string of characters that ain't a number you can guarantee the pay is gonna be crap.

I'm on a similar 'competitive' rate and it's not much, marginally better than not working at all. I'm now trying to figure out what kind of course I can do quickly to get something that's hiring and paying even just a bit more, like you said, 14 or 15 an hour. I have a degree but it's fairly useless for employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TaSeThat

I always judge a position on the package...not salary/wage. Left the private sector to work for the council. Big drop in salary but I was looking at the whole package. 30 days hols, flexi time, career break, job security, etc - if I based my decision on pay I would never have left. However, some positions may not offer a package, just a salary which may have been your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would assume that "competitive" means similar to what others in the industry are paying!

• Advertisement
Advertisement