Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Payment of tax on shares

• 16-06-2021 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

I recently sold some shares that I was gifted in work and only recently realised that I now have to submit a payment to revenue (collector general) for these.

I found the form online and I think I am on day 29 out of 30 and I am really concerned that they won't receive the payment on time. I am in the process of buying a new house and I'm concerned a late payment might put me in a bad light. Does anyone know for sure?

Also seems to be that I need to pay 52% of what I earnt on the shares ?

I am awful when it comes to this kind of stuff and I realise I need to be better informed in future :o:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

loyatemu wrote: »

Thank you so much. I'll try to understand what the page says :)

Also not sure if it is different or not but what I sold were actually 'stock options' :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

kingtut wrote: »
    I recently sold some shares that I was gifted in work and only recently realised that I now have to submit a payment to revenue (collector general) for these.

I found the form online and I think I am on day 29 out of 30 and I am really concerned that they won't receive the payment on time. I am in the process of buying a new house and I'm concerned a late payment might put me in a bad light. Does anyone know for sure?

Also seems to be that I need to pay 52% of what I earnt on the shares ?

I am awful when it comes to this kind of stuff and I realise I need to be better informed in future :o:(

There are multiple share schemes in operation each with its own taxation issues. There can be two taxable events namely Income tax on the exercising of the shares and potentially CGT on the later disposal of the shares. The link below provides links to the Revenue share schemes manuals but ultimately it's only your employer who can tell you what scheme you are in and it's taxation issues. Have you checked the documentation you were provided with by your employer for involvement in the share scheme? Have you asked your employer what exactly you need to do and how you calculate your taxable gain for income tax if it wasn't already sorted through payroll.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/share-schemes/index.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Starting point is to confirm the scheme you were on. Go back and ask your employer to confirm which scheme it was as your working out your tax liability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement