Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nepotism Within the arts

Options
  • 30-03-2021 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Nepotism within the arts can only be seen when a countries artistic standard is lower then other countries after a period of time.....the last twenty years is a good starting point with irish art, literature and film. A truckload of Chick lit and thriller books that belong in the local charity store, or maybe better to squirt sun cream on them and leave them on holidays...hopelessly depressing films and tv dramas that would not take a second viewing .....painters who are completely underdeveloped and can’t even stand on the wall beside present day painters from around the world...what? Is there still people painting forest scenes and sticking concepts over them? No wayyyyy, and exhibitions that look like poor mans versions of exhibitions that have already been done. There’s even quack mad plagiarists. I saw some lunatic who tried to pass off Clifford stills style, and another with Gerard Ritichers cage paintings mimicked in two well known dublin galleries. One of these exhibitions was curated by the students teacher the other was a friend of the gallery owner. Maybe everyone should stop practicing the sick virus of nepotism and focus on putting up the best art that they can this year......that could be a good idea? I think its time to start looking at who’s on what board, who’s selecting who and why? everyone in the arts should be watching now...it’s time to call out all nepotism or the future of the arts will be at stake. 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I agree. But what can you do?

But to be honest...we do have great artists too ..great illustrators. They are just not as rich.

Thing is ..its not those individuals fault ...its the environment's fault.

Also countries outside of Ireland are commenting on it they are laughing at us. This is a pretty scathing interview in a British Newspaper.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/cecelia-ahern-nepotism-escapism-and-catholic-guilt-807415.html

The thing is i don't want to attack cecilia ahern ....its not her fault this environment exists.

She even realizes and admits it publicly herself.
    "I'd had 21 years of having a politician as a father. Every time I do something people deliberately think the worst of it, or stupidly think the best. I've met people who've said, 'I didn't want to buy your book because I thought you only got the deal because of your father,' and I've met people who've bought the book because they've said they are big fans of my father. I would be stupid to say it had not helped, particularly in Ireland."

There is also a lack of cultural diversity too. Its not modern Ireland.

There is no product control ..there is no standard or artistic ethic...

I think though ...we need to call out the environment ..and not attack individuals. Maybe some institutions and ideas of what art and Ireland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jackandjones

What can you do? Pray to the lord God that people will become aware and stop following the spread of nepotism in music, in film, in painting, in writing, because it is negative and has been proven over 20 years by artistic scientists to breed substandard work. Look out for it..it hides in quantity. Tarantino’s only doing ten!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 333cameras

True Tarantino is only doing ten..the scary thing about nepotism and cronyism in Ireland is that it has become the norm…when u see board members who’s work is completely underdeveloped on the walls of major galleries putting up their shows as the leading artists u know something is radically wrong. Fellas from other countries on huge yearly grants in Ireland and Irish artists just blanked by the galleries…no answer from emails or phones. There should be a rule of some sort that board members cannot show their work in the galleries. But no one is monitoring the arts and culture department at all or they are too old to have any vision. It’s quite sad really because any imbecile can see the standard of painting in Europe is far higher then big dirty rainbow marks all over the canvas and childish high Fulton names on paintings. Van gogh sunflowers. Great countries know who the child painters are from the schools..they’ve checked the records…idiotic countries just keep allowing people from the political world run galleries. Politicians are actually running galleries In ireland…now that is totally ignorant. Art has nothing to do with politics. Check mate…art is the future ..politics is merely the present and everyone is replaceable in negative politics. Art is a much higher and positive power then politics. Well done ireland. You get an A for Neanderthal over the last twenty years of artistic development In many visible areas of music film and painting.

To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” – Buckminster Fuller.

replace…everyone …quickly ..or become a lazy dunce with no vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

I know zilch about art, but what I do know is that Ireland has taken in so much money via taxes and loans, that the insiders in the public sector that have control over how it is spent are behind the likes of this. Hell even Dublin Zoo nepotistically hires, the Gardai were absolutely infamous for it, hence the creation of the public appointments service. I can only imagine the nepotism and cronyism within the museums and galleries.

It's always tragicly hilarious whenever a local authority pays a huge sum of our taxes to some "artist" to erect a monstrosity the public unanimously hate the look of, outside a beatiful public building. Brown envelopes may be a thing of the past, but backhanders and corruption are very much current but as long as they pay VAT on them, its AOK.

Look at this thing:

Consider it won in an "open compeition" ran by Dublin City Council and a bunch of overpaid public servants and quangos https://www.sculpturedublin.ie/about/

N

Advertisement