Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huge rail disruptions in Dublin for April/May bank holiday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The Service alterations on the Heuston side are no more than any of the other Saturdays that it has happened this year and last, except that it extends into the Sunday of the bank holiday weekend when the numbers travelling are generally low.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Were they only giving notice of this today? Surely they should have known about it for months.

Were they only giving notice of this today? Surely they should have known about it for months.

Well the bank holiday timetable PDF has been on the site for several weeks.

The Heuston line improvement dates are on the website for the entire summer.

All the changes would have been in the journey planner as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

lxflyer wrote: »
    The Service alterations on the Heuston side are no more than any of the other Saturdays that it has happened this year and last, except that it extends into the Sunday of the bank holiday weekend when the numbers travelling are generally low.

It should:

A: Come up as a separate notice on the alert.
    B: Be clearer in the current notice.

The phrase familiarity breeds contempt comes to mind, with the add on that non-regular users may not be familiar with the on-going disruption.

monument wrote: »
    It should:

A: Come up as a separate notice on the alert.
    B: Be clearer in the current notice.

The phrase familiarity breeds contempt comes to mind, with the add on that non-regular users may not be familiar with the on-going disruption.

Anyone booking a trip would see the changes in the journey planner though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It's been in the JP with 60 Days....

Plus anyone travelling over a bank holiday weekend should expect disruption - that's when major engineering works are scheduled as it's the one time engineers can gain a full possession for an extended period without causing major problems for customers.

I'd always advise anyone travelling anywhere by rail at a bank holiday weekend to check times in advance.

Plus anyone travelling over a bank holiday weekend should expect disruption - that's when major engineering works are scheduled as it's the one time engineers can gain a full possession for an extended period without causing major problems for customers.

I'd always advise anyone travelling anywhere by rail at a bank holiday weekend to check times in advance.

I did and I nearly missed the relevant bit because it was downplayed in the alert and the page the alert linked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Line improvement work between Hazelhatch and Portlaoise - Does anyone know the nature and the location (s) of the works, eg relaying, tamping, formation excavation, high speed turnouts etc?.

This page and the video explains all.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/lineimprovementworks

• Advertisement

I did and I nearly missed the relevant bit because it was downplayed in the alert and the page the alert linked to.

Did you check the journey planner or the bank holiday timetable?

You should always check those places on any bank holiday weekend - the full timetable never operates.

There is a second page in the news section that has been there all along outlining the Heuston changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The pdf timetables have no mention of checking to see if there will be service disruptions...

The pdf timetables have no mention of checking to see if there will be service disruptions...

I'm talking about the bank holiday PDF timetable.

The bank holiday PDF timetable is always uploaded at least two-three weeks in advance.

It's been there all along on the timetable page. There's a specific section for it.

It details ALL the service disruptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

May as well put it out there, Connolly-Bray closing for Sat/Sun of June weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    May as well put it out there, Connolly-Bray closing for Sat/Sun of June weekend

Wheres that?

Infini2 wrote: »
    Wheres that?

At a guess - the journey planner?

It's not good enough to say the notice was there for ages -- travel alerts should clearly alert all users of changes from the normal week-to-week services. It's not for the people who always follow the site's news items.

Also best practice I've seen internationally also shows alerts up on the journey planners too -- I mean intergraded into the details of the trip, ie if there's extra delay expected or extra switching at stations, that'll show up as an individual alert for each trip effected on the journey planner.

It's not good enough to say the notice was there for ages -- travel alerts should clearly alert all users of changes from the normal week-to-week services. It's not for the people who always follow the site's news items.

Also best practice I've seen internationally also shows alerts up on the journey planners too -- I mean intergraded into the details of the trip, ie if there's extra delay expected or extra switching at stations, that'll show up as an individual alert for each trip effected on the journey planner.

Ah come on. There is a completely separate news item on the Heuston side - it's permanently on the website and highlighted on the front page and the dates keep updating.

It's also on the "Service Updates" section of the home page.

I really think you're barking up the wrong tree here. It sounds like you're making excuses for not checking yourself.

There journey planner shows the revised service pattern with the correct times that reflect the increased journey times. Most non-regular passengers would be looking at the journey planner to see what the times are.

Again - anyone travelling anywhere by rail at a bank holiday weekend (not just Ireland) should always check the timetables or journey planner.

Again - anyone travelling anywhere by rail at a bank holiday weekend (not just Ireland) should always check the timetables or journey planner.

But IÉ should state on their timetables that passengers should do this
    Nothing about it here
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/dart_commuter_-_web.pdf

But IÉ should state on their timetables that passengers should do this
    Nothing about it here
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/dart_commuter_-_web.pdf

Would the fact that at the bottom of each page in that file the words "not public holidays" are printed not suggest that there is a different timetable applying?

Given that special bank holiday weekend timetables have existed from the year dot, there are posters in all stations in advance, I'm sorta struggling with your logic here.

It does involve some common sense here too - All public transport firms tend to have amended schedules at bank holiday weekends.

• Advertisement

The Public holiday is Monday. The timetable has a line on the Saturday page (like page 23) that states "Saturday (except public holidays)"

The timetable has a whole page explaining when you can bring your bike on a train. It could easily state to check for disruptions on weekends of public holidays.

The Public holiday is Monday. The timetable has a line on the Saturday page (like page 23) that states "Saturday (except public holidays)"

The timetable has a whole page explaining when you can bring your bike on a train. It could easily state to check for disruptions on weekends of public holidays.

Or perhaps people could use a bit of common sense for once and double check?

Advertisement