Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTA - GDA transport strategy approved

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

“It is a wide sweeping statement -- most cycling infrastructure is used by the majority of cyclists in Dublin. I've given many examples already.”
    Ok well you are of the opinion that most of the infrastructure is used by cyclists however you specifically wrote an article on the reasons why the current cycle tracks are not used? Many cyclists have also commented under your article on why they don’t use the existing network.

http://irishcycle.com/2015/11/05/images-25-reasons-why-cyclists-dont-use-cycle-lanes/

Im not bias against cyclists however I am skeptical of the spending trends.

Unless you choose to run/jog/walk as a mode of transport then no I don’t think there are any other modes that provide health or environmental benefits but what has that got to do with investment in cycle tracks?

Im not sure that a direct comparison should made between Dublin and smaller cities spending more on cycling? I mean I could be wrong but shouldn’t other factors be considered like population, density, weather, etc?

“It's a park. If anything should change it's the volume of cars and vans.”
    Would you be bias toward motorists by any chance? Volume reducing measures for the park have already been implemented such as complete HGV ban and main roads blocked off during weekends. This has reduced the through traffic (visually anyway) of motorists. The next step would be to ban motorist from entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Another member of boards (also a cyclist) recently pointed out that their perception of the newly suggested cycle network would be too dangerous and will continue to cycle on the road?
    see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057590078

extremely dangerous for cyclist IMO and i would certainly be sticking to the road in those circumstances.

This is what makes me think that this will be another wasted investment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Roadhawk wrote: »
    “It is a wide sweeping statement -- most cycling infrastructure is used by the majority of cyclists in Dublin. I've given many examples already.”
    Ok well you are of the opinion that most of the infrastructure is used by cyclists however you specifically wrote an article on the reasons why the current cycle tracks are not used? Many cyclists have also commented under your article on why they don’t use the existing network.

http://irishcycle.com/2015/11/05/images-25-reasons-why-cyclists-dont-use-cycle-lanes/

While some of what is currently being built has major design flaws, 99% of what is being built in the last few years in Dublin is still many times better than what was built 10 years ago or more -- and some of the new stuff has already replaced some of the worst old stuff.

But even if this was not the case the article is mainly about how people can't always use cycling infrastructure.

Is you read it, you'll see sometimes it's just about leaving a cycle lane before it ends badly, or when you're turning right, or when there's an obstruction, or not using it because it's only for one direction and you're going the other direction. Most of it is reason to improve and expand the network rather than abandon it.

Some of the article is as much about motorist's misconceptions or too high of expectations as it about actual flaws in network.

Unless you choose to run/jog/walk as a mode of transport then no I don’t think there are any other modes that provide health or environmental benefits but what has that got to do with investment in cycle tracks?

Im not sure that a direct comparison should made between Dublin and smaller cities spending more on cycling? I mean I could be wrong but shouldn’t other factors be considered like population, density, weather, etc?

I'm thinking of Utrecht. Amsterdam might spend even more (although maybe not so per head of population).

Weather -- little difference between Amsterdam and Dublin (Dublin comes out lower on rainfall) and Utrecht isn't far away and has around the same climate. ...and I've got wetter cycling in Utrecht than I ever have in Dublin! ;)

And Utrecht has a lower population density than Dublin. Amsterdam and Dublin btw have as close as identical of population density as you will find comparing any two capital cities.
    “It's a park. If anything should change it's the volume of cars and vans.”
    Would you be bias toward motorists by any chance? Volume reducing measures for the park have already been implemented such as complete HGV ban and main roads blocked off during weekends. This has reduced the through traffic (visually anyway) of motorists. The next step would be to ban motorist from entering.

The park's management plan looks for reduction in the traffic in the park.

For god's sake it's a park. There could still be both a massive reduction in through traffic and access kept for motorists busing the park.

Another member of boards (also a cyclist) recently pointed out that their perception of the newly suggested cycle network would be too dangerous and will continue to cycle on the road?

This is what makes me think that this will be another wasted investment.

Great, so you're taking the 1% of anti-infra cyclists as spokespeople for the everybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Their strategy doesn't count for much, at least with pedestrian and cyclist access, when the NTA is still pledging funding to local authorites to link up footpaths, and no mention of cycle lane provision whatsoever. Like the Celbridge Road in Maynooth as a particularly shameful example of somewhere with no cycle lane whatsoever but with the space to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

So just 3 years later and well it seems the NTA strategy is in tatters.
    - Metro South has been on the long finger until after 2040 at the earliest
    - Lucan Luas has been replaced by a bus corridor
    - BRT is dead
    - Green Line extension to Bray unlikely due to capacity issues

And this 16 years out from the proposed finish!!!
    Honestly at this stage the NTA really isn’t fit for purpose.

It’s not as if the plan was overly ambitious to start with, leaving out Metro West and the Navan Rail line amongst others.

Would I be correct in saying that no public transport project will be under construction between 2018-2020 with Busconnects and Metrolink subject to planning starting after that.

The more I think about it, the more of a sham Busconnects is. 3bn for 230km of bus lanes. You could build 75km of Luas for that, could you imagine the impact that would have. That would be:
    - Lucan (14km)
    - UCD (4km from Harcourt)
    - Tallaght via Rathfarnham and Knocklyon (14km)
    - Clongriffin (11km)
    - Metro West (25km)

Advertisement