Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about old travel pass

Options
  • 29-04-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

The senior citizens travel pass was updated sometime ago; the old one (a slip of paper in a plastic envelope) was replaced with a credit card style version. My mother however did not get hers replaced (despite getting a letter instructing her to do so) as she "couldn't be bothered because she never uses public transport anyway". However she now has to take a train next week so I am just wondering will the out-of-date travel pass be accepted?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I dropped a pensioner off in town today to catch the bus and I know they only have the paper travel pass and use it OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

lukin wrote: »
    The senior citizens travel pass was updated sometime ago; the old one (a slip of paper in a plastic envelope) was replaced with a credit card style version. My mother however did not get hers replaced (despite getting a letter instructing her to do so) as she "couldn't be bothered because she never uses public transport anyway". However she now has to take a train next week so I am just wondering will the out-of-date travel pass be accepted?

If it's out of date it will not be accepted and even if staff let it go and you meet revenue staff you will get 100 fine + ticket cost. If it says no time limit it will be fine.

I would book online ticket today for next week as it will be way cheaper if it has expired.

She must get it replaced, even if it was in date there will be a date coming up soon and no more paper passes will be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭lukin

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    If it's out of date it will not be accepted and even if staff let it go and you meet revenue staff you will get 100 fine + ticket cost. If it says no time limit it will be fine.

I would book online ticket today for next week as it will be way cheaper if it has expired.

She must get it replaced, even if it was in date there will be a date coming up soon and no more paper passes will be accepted.

It doesn't have an expiry date on it (I don't think any of the old style passes had an expiry date).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It doesn't have an expiry date on it (I don't think any of the old style passes had an expiry date).

She will be fine so, but I would get it replaced by end of the year to a card.

I know some that did, it will say it under the address anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭lukin

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    She will be fine so, but I would get it replaced by end of the year to a card.

I know some that did, it will say it under the address anyway.

OK cool thanks,I'll get her to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

She will be fine, there are next to no inspections on Dublin Bus and the vast majority of drivers couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

OK cool thanks,I'll get her to replace it.

The new pass is integrated into the new social services card, refusing to get one of those seems like a bad idea as it will be needed for more than just free travel.

Once all remaining SW clients have been given the opportunity to get a new card the old passes will cease to be accepted, AFAIK this should happen before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The old passes will be completely invalid at some point in the next few months theyre due to be withdrawn this year if they get the rollout complete the last I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

If it's out of date then she will have to pay. Now that's only if there is an actual expiry date on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

devnull wrote: »
    She will be fine, there are next to no inspections on Dublin Bus and the vast majority of drivers couldn't care less.

There are approximately 100 revenue protection officials working within Dublin Bus carrying out around 15,000 check per week. With plans for this to increase.

Infini2 wrote: »
    The old passes will be completely invalid at some point in the next few months theyre due to be withdrawn this year if they get the rollout complete the last I heard.

While it's best to get the new card asap the old paper and ID passes will be accepted for the foreseeable future. Plans to scrap it by the end of this year have been pushed back because the social can't process them fast enough. End of next year is the new provisional date to stop accepting the paper ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Infini2 wrote: »

That's a big IF. There's still 1000s of people on Disability Allowance/Pension etc with the paper passes. Like everything in this country it will be delayed and cost up to 4x times as much.

Advertisement