Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seiko 5 repair

Options
  • 22-02-2019 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

hi,

i have a seiko snk809 which wont hold its power. So after a good shake it will start and will run for a while but then stops. I'm far from an expert but the rotor seems very noisy.

Any suggestions as to the best place to get it repaired?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Think it needs more than a mere shake. If it's an automatic (and forgive me if you already know this), you'll have to wear it for at least a day, every second day.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

They have pretty standard and known movements so just pop it into a local Jewellers for a looksie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

funkyouup wrote: »
    They have pretty standard and known movements so just pop it into a local Jewellers for a looksie.

Or just buy a new movement on line and pop that in yourself.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-AUTHENTIC-AND-NEW-SEIKO-NH35A-AUTOMATIC-21600BPH-WATCH-MOVEMENT-WHITE-DATE/222567527561
    Just make sure you get the right one as there are a lot of variations.

It could be a stiff rotor bearing. If you hold the watch vertically next to your ear and twist it slowly can you hear the rotor turning inside?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

xyz123 wrote: »
    hi,

i have a seiko snk809 which wont hold its power. So after a good shake it will start and will run for a while but then stops. I'm far from an expert but the rotor seems very noisy.

Any suggestions as to the best place to get it repaired?

thanks

Needs about a minute of a shake to build up enough power, after that, arm movement will keep it going. A quick shake wont really do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭xyz123

thanks, i can shake it for up to five minutes and it will stop within a few minutes. The rotor does move and can be quite noisy, but it does stick from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

blue5000 wrote: »
    [/B]

Or just buy a new movement on line and pop that in yourself.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-AUTHENTIC-AND-NEW-SEIKO-NH35A-AUTOMATIC-21600BPH-WATCH-MOVEMENT-WHITE-DATE/222567527561
    Just make sure you get the right one as there are a lot of variations.

It could be a stiff rotor bearing. If you hold the watch vertically next to your ear and twist it slowly can you hear the rotor turning inside?

Im going to go and assume he or she isnt wanting to open and transplant the movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

xyz123 wrote: »
    thanks, i can shake it for up to five minutes and it will stop within a few minutes. The rotor does move and can be quite noisy, but it does stick from time to time.

You need to wear an automatic for a fair while, the movement of your arm winds up the movement (through the rotor that you can hear), and it's the release of the kinetic energy stored that moves the movement. That's a very basic description that most here would trump in seconds. But that's basically it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭xyz123

Thanks all. It worked for 18 months but now won't charge. I've tried long periods of shaking and wearing it, but it stops soon after.

This type of watch is not economical to have professionally repaired/serviced. A competent watchmaker will value his time such that even a short time working on the watch (+ parts) will come close to or exceed its value.

Your options are to attempt repair yourself, or sell watch in it's current condition for and buy a replacement. You'll surely find someone who fancies his chances at an easy repair and will buy it. Or will buy for parts, modding etc.

FYI "shaking" is not a word I would use to describe how to wind an automatic watch. You swing it gently from side to side for a few seconds, then put it on your wrist and let natural movement do the rest. Maybe that's what you mean by shaking. If you are vigorously shaking it you will likely damage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭saccades

This type of watch is not economical to have professionally repaired/serviced. A competent watchmaker will value his time such that even a short time working on the watch (+ parts) will come close to or exceed its value.

Your options are to attempt repair yourself, or sell watch in it's current condition for and buy a replacement. You'll surely find someone who fancies his chances at an easy repair and will buy it. Or will buy for parts, modding etc.

FYI "shaking" is not a word I would use to describe how to wind an automatic watch. You swing it gently from side to side for a few seconds, then put it on your wrist and let natural movement do the rest. Maybe that's what you mean by shaking. If you are vigorously shaking it you will likely damage it.

Pretty much what he said, although a straight movement swap at a jeweller isn't massively expensive, especially if you get a NH (Seiko) movement as opposed to a Seiko branded one.

I do a "scatter the seeds" type motion to wind an automatic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement