Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone been to Cork City? Do you find the streets to be very slippery in the rain?

• 22-05-2020 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8 LisaNass

Just want your opinion.

I'm mostly talking about St.Patrick's street. Whenever it's raining the ground becomes extremely slippery. It's those reddish, glassy tiles. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to construct the streets this way? You'd need to throw down some grit just to stop yourself from falling.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Spoiled Tomcat

LisaNass wrote: »
    Just want your opinion.

I'm mostly talking about St.Patrick's street. Whenever it's raining the ground becomes extremely slippery. It's those reddish, glassy tiles. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to construct the streets this way? You'd need to throw down some grit just to stop yourself from falling.

from there as i work in around the city centre, i nearly brain myself on there most days if its rainy/slippery....nearly did a somersault once....its the stupid paths done this way for the Capital of Culture stuff iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Just want your opinion.

Definitely. It's like being on an ice rink on Patrick st when its wet. I can't believe people dont slip all the time. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Yes, the red ones especially seem to be polished marble and like a skating rink when wet. I don't know how they ever got permission to be installed on an outdoor footpath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

And then when the sun comes out after the rain there's an unbelievable glare from the paving. It's like someone shining a 500w bulb in your eyes. You see everyone on Patrick's St squinting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Same in Limerick city near Supermacs on O'Connell street. The pavement there gets extremely slippery when wet. Almost took a hopper a few times walking by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I find Grafton street the same in wet weather. I know they have to look nice etc. But I bet you could find something pretty that wasn't slippy when wet.

Same with Temple Bar, Dalkey anywhere with cobbling.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Same in Limerick city near Supermacs on O'Connell street. The pavement there gets extremely slippery when wet. Almost took a hopper a few times walking by.

I was heading down to Arthur's key a few weeks ago and I fell over there..

Ohh..I was half way there..

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

They are a Spanish tile or something. Put down for the capital of culture in 2005. Lethal so they are.

No one would take my bloody hand..

If you are a girl and in Town you have to bring another pair of shoes if you wear heels.

• Advertisement

No one would take my bloody hand..
    :(

I would have.

I was heading down to Arthur's key a few weeks ago and I fell over there..

Ohh..I was half way there..

Living on a prayer.

I would have.

Well there was no sign of you..

Probably typing furiously on boards..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

FrStone wrote: »
    They are a Spanish tile or something. Put down for the capital of culture in 2005. Lethal so they are.

Some genius thought Spanish tiles were ideal for rainy Ireland.

Awful surface, deadly in leather soled shoes in the wet.

Same time they put in those ugly leaning lamposts iirc.

Generally granite slabs are the worse when wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

A1tRA%2BbmNlL._SL1500_.jpgSlippery when wet

I would have.

You're a good person though - alot of these one's are sneks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Butch Moore is the man to ask, if anyone would know he will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to construct the streets this way?
    That would be Beth Gali, of the Blarney Street Galis.

Tis very simple really
    The present project proposes a construction system compatible with the differentiated character to be established in the streets and squares of the old city centre of Cork. The project thus opts for a construction system that allows the urban space to be designed in terms of categories as regards their width, significance and position within the structure of the city while preserving the architectural constants which, by ensuring continuity, make the historic city centre recognisable. These constants, which we might call the 'skeleton' of the urban space, are the constituent elements of the general construction system.

https://www.bethgali.com/copia-de-hafencity-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Ya it was a Spanish genius - Beth Gali was the architect 😄

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Yeah, around the millennium or when we were European capital of culture.

The worst is the polished metal bits around the grates.

They must have lawsuits pouring in. It really is awful to see elderly people hurting themselves on the regular.

Love seeing shams slip on them though.
    marvsins wrote: »

She probably came over on the exchange programme some summer!

Well they still look sh1t, half the bulbs are blown at any given time too.

Ya it was a Spanish genius - Beth Gali was the architect ��
    In fairness not much rain in spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭georgina...c

Didn't notice.

Sounds like an awkward conversation you'd have in a waiting room with some randomer who doesn't have anything else to say.

Saw some aul fella in the pharmacy yesterday waffling to the checkout girl and holding everyone up with a similar uninteresting spiel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Those paving slabs have been there for over 15 years, I'm on Pana most days in all sorts weather and can't say I've ever noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Ya. That was one of the more popular comments after the street was opened.

There's a bit but not really in the mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod - Moved from AH to Cork City regional forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The narrow metal covers running the length of Faulkner's Lane (Opera Lane) are lethal if you step on them in the wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

Yet fellas with 10 pints of Beamish onboard float away like ballerina's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I heard that too that they liked the look of them from a city in Spain a country that doesnt rain as half as much as Ireland,ingenious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I heard that too that they liked the look of them from a city in Spain a country that doesnt rain as half as much as Ireland,ingenious :rolleyes:

I don't really buy that argument.
    If pavement surface is extremely slippery when wet, does it really matter if it only rains sometimes?

A surface that is slippery when wet is just as unsuitable for Spain as anywhere else!

The narrow metal covers running the length of Faulkner's Lane (Opera Lane) are lethal if you step on them in the wet.

Nearly fell stepping on another one around Winthrop st. Horrible things, clueless architectural gob****ery.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

im in pana most days and when its raining people are slipping all over the place myself included a pure sh1t show in there

noticed aswell theres an influx of junkies in there lately disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I don't really buy that argument.
    If pavement surface is extremely slippery when wet, does it really matter if it only rains sometimes?

A surface that is slippery when wet is just as unsuitable for Spain as anywhere else!

Well there are for example floor tiles out there that when they get wet have been designed to dry quicker and not be as slippery as standard tiles so Id imagine there are the same types for paving.Who's to say that Spanish paving (if true) doesnt have similar mechanism for a warmer and drier country?

We should have used a different type of paving that can handle large amounts of rain and not be like an ice rink was the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I was going to say no, not at all but then you mentioned the ones on Pana, yes, slippy hoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I find the footpath on Oliver Plunkett Street can be slippy.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Cork City is definitely very slippery in the rain. Oliver Plunkett Street can be slippery. I always tried walking on the road instead of the footpath when it rained. On North Main Steet there is a dark border tile every few metres that separates the main paving stones and they're desperate slippy. The tiles outside the library in UCC were terrible as well, as were the steps going down to the Boole basement. They were of a similar material as the tiles outside the library. I think I lost count of how many hoppers people took on those steps in the rain. They eventually covered the end of all the steps in some kind of grit. I'm surprised nobody took a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Well they still look sh1t, half the bulbs are blown at any given time too.

Blame Cork City Council for that. Town is looking shabby under their watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

YFlyer wrote: »

Bedford row that is, links O'Connell Street & Henry Street...it's so fcuking dangerous... can't believe there hasn't been an accident leading to a claim yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Completely agree! When I was in college (10 years ago) I had this one pair of boots that didn’t have great grip. Fell a few times, was always in Cork
    City and was those particular tiles. And no I wasn’t drunk, this was in the daytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, I've fallen twice in the last decade or so on those when wet, and my kids loads of times. I've never broken anything, but yes, agreed they appear to be designed for aesthetics rather than functionality. It's embarrassing, and I'm still surprised they haven't sprayed a grip coating or similar on to them.

Wouldn't have been left in this state by the previous city managers, let's put it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Cork City is definitely very slippery in the rain. Oliver Plunkett Street can be slippery. I always tried walking on the road instead of the footpath when it rained. On North Main Steet there is a dark border tile every few metres that separates the main paving stones and they're desperate slippy. The tiles outside the library in UCC were terrible as well, as were the steps going down to the Boole basement. They were of a similar material as the tiles outside the library. I think I lost count of how many hoppers people took on those steps in the rain. They eventually covered the end of all the steps in some kind of grit. I'm surprised nobody took a case.

Forgot about those ones outside the Boole library. That thing is an absolute death trap in the rain. Had to avoid that when I was in college if it bucketed.

Advertisement