Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any mechanic who will call out to replace a car battery?

Options
  • 16-05-2020 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

Battery in my car is flecked, I've no way to get it to a mechanic unless it's towed. Is there anyone out there who will call out to replace a battery? I'm in Douglas area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

siblers wrote: »
    Hello

Battery in my car is flecked, I've no way to get it to a mechanic unless it's towed. Is there anyone out there who will call out to replace a battery? I'm in Douglas area.

Had to replace my own today. Used a YouTube tutorial and laughed myself silly afterwards when I realised how easy it was. If you have a neighbour that could go and collect a battery or order one online its honestly extremely simple to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

May not be flecked (end of life). Try a battery booster to get the car started (or borrow jump leads and someone else's car) and leave it idle for 10 minutes to get it charged up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dobman88 wrote: »
    Had to replace my own today. Used a YouTube tutorial and laughed myself silly afterwards when I realised how easy it was. If you have a neighbour that could go and collect a battery or order one online its honestly extremely simple to replace.

Some modern cars don't take too well to having the battery taken out if you don't know the procedure. You could end up with an electronically dead car but I guess youtube would tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Some modern cars don't take too well to having the battery taken out if you don't know the procedure. You could end up with an electronically dead car but I guess youtube would tell you that.

Make sure you have the code for your radio handy!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Fitting a battery in a car is a very simple task Its harder to get batteries into some kids toys these days.

Buy a battery online in a place like Micks Garage. Delivered to your door and you will have it fitted in 2 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

May not be flecked (end of life). Try a battery booster to get the car started (or borrow jump leads and someone else's car) and leave it idle for 10 minutes to get it charged up.

Tried a battery booster and jumping but made no difference. Although I'd still prefer a pro to look at it to make sure it is the battery and not something else

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

siblers wrote: »
    Tried a battery booster and jumping but made no difference. Although I'd still prefer a pro to look at it to make sure it is the battery and not something else

If it won't start with a jump, I'd suspect it might be something else, alright.
    I once bought a new battery for a car when it was the alternator was gone.
    Battery did get me to work and home again for a few days with the help of a charger, though!

If it won't start with a jump, I'd suspect it might be something else, alright.
    I once bought a new battery for a car when it was the alternator was gone.
    Battery did get me to work and home again for a few days with the help of a charger, though!
    It was completely dead without the booster, booster got the dash lights, wiper etc to work but wouldn't turn over. It most likely is the battery but don't want to plough 100 into a battery if it's something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

can you not push it a bit up the road/ driveway and say you left it running and went back for your dog/phone/coat and when you got back a minute later it wasn’t working and win’t re-start. Your insurance breakdown assist may cover it or at least the tow .

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Dr Sunshine

If you know any garages in your area that do breakdown/towing they would supply and fit battery at your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

My car wouldn't start this week (hasn't been driven in over a month in fairness, my own fault I know) and my insurance covered breakdown assistance even though it was in the driveway. The guy from Aviva came out within 20 minutes, battery dead and he got it going but he had batteries with him as well if needed. I'd say it's happening a lot at the moment. Worth ringing your insurance company to check.

My insurance company offer a towing service alright but will only drop it to the closest mechanic. I'm working at home with the children and trying to get down to collect the car from the garage will be difficult. I'll ring the garage Monday to see if they can call up

Not the battery anyway. Either the starter or a fuse. Towed to the mechanic now. Praying its a fuse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

A few years ago I called out the roadside recuse that Aviva use (think it's RAC) and they had a selection of batteries in the van. Changed on the spot.

jhegarty wrote: »
    A few years ago I called out the roadside recuse that Aviva use (think it's RAC) and they had a selection of batteries in the van. Changed on the spot.

He put in a new battery but no joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ballinlough motors open on Monday

429 2270

Advertisement