Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Criminal offence tyre

Options
  • 14-04-2021 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Can't help to be a nosy prick, but saw a car just now on the car park beside me with seems to be in my opinion a criminal offence having to drive a car with a bald tyre as my head seen on the pics. That's fcking dangerous to anyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,467 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see it a lot when casually looking at cars parked in shopping centres and it's not all ancient cars either. It's not like they left the house this morning and the tyres were fully legal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

Under inflated as well

• Registered Users Posts: 28,298 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Put the reg into the NCT site, hopefully it is due soon...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I guess the brakes are running abit steel on steel judging by the colour of the dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

mickdw wrote: »
    I guess the brakes are running abit steel on steel judging by the colour of the dust.

I copped that too can't bate the Irish motorist for maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It is not a criminal offence as the offence can be dealt with by fixed penalty notice and fine.

Also, unless you are a member of the gardai, it's not your position to call it out.

You can of course advise a driver that their tyre is worn, but saying it is criminal is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Darc19 wrote: »
    It is not a criminal offence as the offence can be dealt with by fixed penalty notice and fine.

Also, unless you are a member of the gardai, it's not your position to call it out.

You can of course advise a driver that their tyre is worn, but saying it is criminal is wrong

If that driver crashed due to faulty tyre and killed someone, things would be rather more serious than a fixed penalty notice.

mickdw wrote: »
    If that driver crashed due to faulty tyre and killed someone, things would be rather more serious than a fixed penalty notice.

True, but it's still not a criminal offence no matter what catastrophe syndrome outcome you come up with.

True, but it's still not a criminal offence no matter what catastrophe syndrome outcome you come up with.

It is a Criminal offence.

Only 2 legal areas in Ireland under the common law system. Civil and criminal. It's not counted in background checks / vetting but it's still within the criminal remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    This is the second thread where you have posted basically

"It's none of your business"

In these two threads people are either doing their civic duty or have a legit concern. Whats your problem?

Ya, I saw your post in the other thread exact same response being nega about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Guess what your insurer will say if you are in an accident, having a bald tyre !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I see this a lot on the bike and motorbike. It's shocking how bad some are

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Can't help to be a nosy prick, but saw a car just now on the car park beside me with seems to be in my opinion a criminal offence having to drive a car with a bald tyre as my head seen on the pics. That's fcking dangerous to anyone.

So is driving at excessive speeds on Motorways Frank. ;)

That tyre is pure insanity though.

JCN12 wrote: »
    So is driving at excessive speeds on Motorways Frank. ;)

That tyre is pure insanity though.

Wait now, i actually slowed down now 4th gear to italian job, i was young and stupid then.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Dirty Nails

And this happened while you were sitting in your car. The one with no brakes? :)

And this happened while you were sitting in your car. The one with no brakes? :)

Aye now, that ain't fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

Wait now, i actually slowed down now 4th gear to italian job, i was young and stupid then.

Glad to hear it.

In these two threads people are either doing their civic duty or have a legit concern. Whats your problem?

Yes and I'm correct in both.

In the other thread I said that the poster probably thought they were doing the right thing, but the gardai cannot act unless a complaint cones from the damaged party.

On this thread, I have said it is not a criminal offence. It is an offence dealt with by fixed penalty notice, the same as parking on double yellow lines or parking in a disabled spot without the required disc.

It is NOT a criminal offence.

In the other thread I said that the poster probably thought they were doing the right thing, but the gardai cannot act unless a complaint cones from the damaged party.

On this thread, I have said it is not a criminal offence. It is an offence dealt with by fixed penalty notice, the same as parking on double yellow lines or parking in a disabled spot without the required disc.

So what is it? What legal area does it fit?

It's an offence under section 11, road traffic act 1961 by the way. The same act that covers dangerous driving for example.

The fact that a fine can be issued doesn't change the legal area it's within. You can get a fine for section 4, Criminal justice (public order) act 1994 as well and multiple current covid regulations but guess what? If you don't pay the fine you get summonsed to court where you get convicted.

It's a Criminal offence

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

<snip>
    So what is it? What legal area does it fit?

It's an offence under section 11, road traffic act 1961 by the way. The same act that covers dangerous driving for example.

The fact that a fine can be issued doesn't change the legal area it's within. You can get a fine for section 4, Criminal justice (public order) act 1994 as well and multiple current covid regulations but guess what? If you don't pay the fine you get summonsed to court where you get convicted.

It's a Criminal offence

Would you like a bag to carry your ass that's just been handed to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

Go over to Legal Issues and state this and see what answer you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Are people not allowed to have that opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Are people not allowed to have that opinion?

Course they are, but the right to have an opinion doesn't make one immune from being ripped apart for it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Course they are, but the right to have an opinion doesn't make one immune from being ripped apart for it

Ripping apart an opinion is fine, but that is not what the mod did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once pointed out bald tyres on a grab truck to a garda; and i guess in that situation the fleet manager of the (well known) construction company would escape punishment, but the poor sod who was assigned the truck that morning would be the only one to be punished?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

photo of insurance disc, (better) photo of tyre, send to the Insurer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can the insurer take any action based on an unsolicited message from joe public? if they could, what controls are there to deal with malicious messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Follows thread for the craic... Hopefully nobody's horse loses a shoe....

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Nice slicks, bro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement