Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT Swiss wheel warranty/shop issue

Options
  • 15-04-2021 6:42pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, just looking for some input on some wheel trouble I'm having.

I bought a DT Swiss P1800 road wheel in a local bike shop 1.5 years ago, and in the last weeks I noticed there was a noise coming from the bearings when the bike was up on the stand. I dropped it back to the shop for a service expecting to pay for new bearings or whatever parts were needed.

But I got a call today to say that they are unable to remove the freehub and that I need to buy a new wheel. Now this seems to be a bit of a joke to me, I was up-sold on this wheel because of it's sealed bearings and ease of repair/work, and here I am being told it's goosed after one and a half years.

DT Swiss say they warranty their wheels for 2 years. Now obviously this doesn't cover things like bearings, but surely in this case there should be some warranty recourse here? I've asked about warranty and got a non-answer and told they'll call me tomorrow.

The shop is local, I've bought two bikes there, and the wheel I mentioned at a considerably higher price than I could source myself. I feel like I'm being fobbed off here. And I'm not too happy being told to spend another 250 or so on a new wheel.

Any opinions? Am I wrong here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

If they have washed your hands with you maybe email them and say that you are going to file a consumer law claim and look for a written explanation on the problem and as to why you are not getting warranty service for this. Will help with you either dropping this or moving forward

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Hey guys, just looking for some input on some wheel trouble I'm having.

I bought a DT Swiss P1800 road wheel in a local bike shop 1.5 years ago, and in the last weeks I noticed there was a noise coming from the bearings when the bike was up on the stand. I dropped it back to the shop for a service expecting to pay for new bearings or whatever parts were needed.

But I got a call today to say that they are unable to remove the freehub and that I need to buy a new wheel. Now this seems to be a bit of a joke to me, I was up-sold on this wheel because of it's sealed bearings and ease of repair/work, and here I am being told it's goosed after one and a half years.

DT Swiss say they warranty their wheels for 2 years. Now obviously this doesn't cover things like bearings, but surely in this case there should be some warranty recourse here? I've asked about warranty and got a non-answer and told they'll call me tomorrow.

The shop is local, I've bought two bikes there, and the wheel I mentioned at a considerably higher price than I could source myself. I feel like I'm being fobbed off here. And I'm not too happy being told to spend another 250 or so on a new wheel.

Any opinions? Am I wrong here?

Would it be any option for you to get the wheel to someone like Lukasz in Apex Cycles? I brought wheels to him that the lbs shop made a complete pigs arse of truing not once but twice and I have not had an issue since. He knows his stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you have a receipt, maybe straight with an email to DTswiss as its not just the bearings if you can't get to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’ve found DM’ing companies on Twitter tends to get a fairly prompt response. I’d give DT Swiss a shout directly and see what they say if you have no joy from the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I recently had a query for DT Swiss and they directed me to their customer service centre in Ireland.

This however just appears to be some mobile mountain bike servicing guy with an incomplete website, a phone he doesn't answer and a Gmail account he perhaps dips in and out of occasionally. He didn't know if he had the part, or quite what it was and then he just stopped answering when I followed it up again.

So, perhaps try somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Would it be any option for you to get the wheel to someone like Lukasz in Apex Cycles? I brought wheels to him that the lbs shop made a complete pigs arse of truing not once but twice and I have not had an issue since. He knows his stuff.

Cheers, going to drop him a mail now and see what he thinks.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    If you have a receipt, maybe straight with an email to DTswiss as its not just the bearings if you can't get to them.

Don't have a receipt but the bike shop does have it recorded on my account with them, so I can get one. No harm in reaching out to them, but fat bloke's experience doesn't bode well!

And yes, the fault is not the bearings really, more so that they can't access them, (nor could I for that matter). I don't mind paying for new bearings, as I said, but I do have a problem being stuck with a dead wheel. Seems like there may be some manufacturing fault at play.

No call from the shop today, but I'll try and reach out tomorrow.

Thanks all for the input, really appreciate it. I just want to be on my damned bike again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

But I got a call today to say that they are unable to remove the freehub
    did they say they cannot remove the freehub, or the freehub cannot be removed?
    if it's the latter, that's on DT Swiss for making a part that cannot be serviced.
    if the former, that's on the LBS who are unable to service a wheel they seem to have sold you because of the ease of maintaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I remember reading something negative about dt Swiss hubs recently when I was researching building up my own wheels, I was considering the dt240 hubs.

Anyway, don't know this website or if they have a particular angle etc, or if this is relevant or of interest, but I found the website again and I've copied and pasted the extract below

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/pages/wheelbuilding

I am not a fan of DT Swiss hubs. There rim brake hubs have a poor NDS rear bracing angle which compromises lateral stiffnes for no gain. All there hub have one flaw. The rear DS bearing is hidden behind a ring nut so to remove the bearing you need a special too and a vice. It unscrews like a screw on freewheel. If a hub is not user serviceable then I am not going to recommend it. DT Swiss hubs are not user serviceable so I am not a fan. Other hubs are reliable so there is no advantage DT Swiss hub bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

I have a pair of DT Swiss entry level CX wheels that have an issue that sounds like the OPs, when they are up on the stand and freewheeling there's a rough sound in the freewheel bearings, turn the pedals and it goes away.

I've had them in with Lucasz in Apex cycles and he told me that there's nothing he can do, as I understand it it's a ball and cone type system and once there's any damage to the races they can't be replaced. I haven't seen it apart myself so don't know any more. They still ride perfectly, I can't hear the noise on the bike, I don't think there's much chance of thew failing catastrophically so my intention is to ride on for as long as possible.

Not saying the OP's are the same but there must be a good chance.

My bad, now that I look at them they're Fulcrums.....

Advertisement