Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOE Test Tomorrow - First Time Camper Owner

Options
  • 15-04-2021 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi folks

Have the DOE test tomorrow for my first camper. It was imported so its a LHD.

I just have one concern. As its a LHD, don't I have to put BEAM re-directors on it or something? I've seen them in halfords. Do I need to get these on before the test tomorrow?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Hi folks

Have the DOE test tomorrow for my first camper. It was imported so its a LHD.

I just have one concern. As its a LHD, don't I have to put BEAM re-directors on it or something? I've seen them in halfords. Do I need to get these on before the test tomorrow?

Thanks in advance

If you buy them and give then in while doing the test usually they will fir them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Ah great, yeah I will do that

Thanks a million.

Failed the test - 2 Majors

Rod Arm (steering) and hand brake.

Rang my insurance company to inform them (as they are waiting on CRVT cert) and they suspended the insurance until it passes.

Is this normal? I argued that I needed to drive to mechanics etc. but they said they "might" allow it on the day you are driving to the mechanics, and to ring in when I know what day that is.

Normal..yurp.

Insurance for driving to te DOE centre DOE repairs etc is a pain in the hoop. Just go and if there's an issue you can appeal on the side of the road.

Can't tax it without a CVRT and insurance, can't insure it without a CVRT, can't CVRT it without tax and insurance....spare me!

Bring any paperwork you can including scheduled garage appointment and CVRT fail report.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Normal..yurp.

Insurance for driving to te DOE centre DOE repairs etc is a pain in the hoop. Just go and if there's an issue you can appeal on the side of the road.

Can't tax it without a CVRT and insurance, can't insure it without a CVRT, can't CVRT it without tax and insurance....spare me!

Bring any paperwork you can including scheduled garage appointment and CVRT fail report.

If the insurance is suspended then these won't make any difference what paper work you bring when your driving it, the only way to move it is on the back of a recovery vehicle.

• Advertisement

Righto.
    My motors move and are mechanically sound regardless of rubber stamps. Your mileage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Rang my insurance company to inform them (as they are waiting on CRVT cert) and they suspended the insurance until it passes.

Is this normal? I argued that I needed to drive to mechanics etc. but they said they "might" allow it on the day you are driving to the mechanics, and to ring in when I know what day that is.
    Couldn't you have just driven it to your mechanic and got the repairs done and get it retested.?
    Maybe I'm missing something or is it mandatory you inform the insurance company after a failed test?

Sometimes I wonder about insurance. If I need a REC to sign off on the conversion electrics, and then I add a USB port after the fact and made a modification without informing my insurer then have I invalidated my insurance?
    A campervan is an eternal project..ya know....

nophd08 wrote: »
    Couldn't you have just driven it to your mechanic and got the repairs done and get it retested.?
    Maybe I'm missing something or is it mandatory you inform the insurance company after a failed test?

Ah, you see its a import and I don't have an insurance certificate yet. I had 30 days from the insurance start date to provide them with a CVRT cert, I went +1 day over as I couldn't get the appointment before that. So they told me to ring them after the test and let them know the situation. Which I did, to tell them it failed, and they then suspended my insurance until it passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If they let you drive away from the test center then the van is safe to drive so they had no business suspending your insurance. Arrange to get it fixed and get them to reinstate the insurance, when you've passed and got everything sported make a complaint and see what they say. What company is it?

• Advertisement

You're allowed 30days grace on a CVRT after a fail. Iirc.
    Longer on an NCT. I can bring a car in 3 months early, fail and it'll still be safe and legal in the eyes of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

You're allowed 30days grace on a CVRT after a fail. Iirc.

21 days for CVRT, it's 30 days for NCT.

Advertisement