Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis 2007 ABS problem

Options
  • 11-04-2021 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Hi all looking for some help have a problem with an 07 avensis abs is kicking in at low speeds

Just wondering is there anything i can do myself to check for any problems with the sensors

I assume there is a sensor on each side so i should check for obvious wiring damage, the condition of the plugs etc as well as the ring itself for any damage.

Anything else i can do at home have access to a multimeter etc but no scan tool for real time data which would obviously show up the ssue easily.

Or should i just give it to a local place and let them diagnose it for me ?

Thanks for any tips lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you recently replace the tyres? Are the tyres properly inflated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Just after getting the car, tyres wouldnt be new by any means when i drove it on the test drive it was fine,tyre pressure are fine just after checking there

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What brand are the front tyres?

Does the ABS warning light come on when you turn on the ignition, it’s just under the handbrake warning light.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Speedline

Hopefully it's something simple. The front sensors are easily removed if needs be. The rears are part of the hub/wheel bearing assembly. And they're not cheap. Around 200 euro a side.

If you have access to a high pressure air line, you could give the front sensors a blast to get any particles off them as they are magnetic.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What brand are the front tyres?

Does the ABS warning light come on when you turn on the ignition, it’s just under the handbrake warning light.

Abs comes on and off when i start it up ,tyres are some chinese muck to be fair,only got the car at the weekend as my other car died unfortunately.

Abs kicks in when im down to under 5mph say just before your literally stopped the pedal pulses

Just curious as if it was something i could attempt myself before i head into the garage with it]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Are your wheels spinning/slipping when you put your foot down to accelerate from a standing start? If so, change your tyres.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Are your wheels spinning/slipping when you put your foot down to accelerate from a standing start? If so, change your tyres.

No not spinning at all.
    Put it into a local garage today he scanned it but it's not showing anything he says but when he drove it he said the same the abs is kicking in.

Looking around it's just had new pads and discs on the front and I wreckon it's had a new wheel bearing in the front as well .

Perhaps some dope mangled something when fitting any one of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

crasy dash wrote: »
    No not spinning at all.
    Put it into a local garage today he scanned it but it's not showing anything he says but when he drove it he said the same the abs is kicking in.

Looking around it's just had new pads and discs on the front and I wreckon it's had a new wheel bearing in the front as well .

Did he look at speed sensor data? If not he's a messer. Likely one sensor misreading after the new bearing which shows up if you actually compare each wheel speed

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Speedline

crasy dash wrote: »
    No not spinning at all.

The sensor ideally should be removed prior to changing a bearing. I know because I recently changed a bearing on my own avensis. It could easily be damaged if left in place while changing the bearing.

Quick update and a positive one:D:D

Managed to finish work early today so got straight home and out with the jack and tools.

First off visual inspection both sides looked fine no tears or plug damage to the sensor etc.
    Started on the drivers side removed easily and visually no problem so onto the other side heres where the fun started.

Passenger side the bolt was damaged managed to beat on a socket and when it started to move the bolt snapped:pac:
    Luckily though when i removed the sensor it was covered it dirt as was the ring on the hub underneath.
    10 min later after rotaing and cleaning i was ready to repair the damage i had done
    Drilled the old bolt out retapped and secured with a new bolt.
    Dropped it down and went for a spin good news no more abs fault car is driving and stopping perfectly:)

Thanks for all the advice lads really appreciate it

• Advertisement
Advertisement