Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leona Maguire - LPGA/LET Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Good to see them make the leap together. There'll be good days and likely some bad ones ahead for both to share and help each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Very interested to see how they both get on. I wish them well

A bit like the Molinari brothers, eh?

Harsh on Edoardo, former Ryder cup player and before last Sunday only had one less Euro Tour win than Francesco!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

A bit like the Molinari brothers, eh?

Eduardo had won The US Amateur when he turned pro, he was the better golfer in 2005.

Maybe Lisa will take to the pro ranks better than college

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Both have been signed to Modest Golf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Best of luck to them both, hopefully long and successful careers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Anyone hear Leona on OffTheBall the other night?
    I missed it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So Lisa is in, currently in last place at 13over, 3 doubles, 7 bogeys and although just one short worst that second-to-last place is 6 shots worst that third-to-last place. Bet she's glad to be in.
    Leona yet to tee off...

Leona playing at the minute and getting good coverage on The Golf Channel and they went through her amateur career too, nice segment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Gone -2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

For the life of me I cannot understand how Lisa Maguire aspires to make it in the pro game. i wish her the best but feel that she has been badly advised. Does anyone else feel it a bit creepy that way that the two girls are completely attached at the hip? I hope that it wont interfere with Leona's progression in the pro ranks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Beaulieu wrote: »
    For the life of me I cannot understand how Lisa Maguire aspires to make it in the pro game. i wish her the best but feel that she has been badly advised.

Why? What’s the worst that can happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

"There are many things that seem impossible only so long as one does not attempt them."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Leona really is a phenomenal prospect for Irish golf. I watch a huge amount of the LPGA as I find it more relateable to my own game. The men are playing a different game altogether.

I'm really looking forward to seeing an Irish flag on the leaderboards in the women's game now.

So I think -2 was a solid first round, Leona’s drives were 28yds longer than Lisa and she missed just one fairway on the shortest LPGA course of the year, coverage was just her putting, would be nice to see more of her overall ball striking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why? What’s the worst that can happen?

Could make 10 bogeys and 3 doubles in a competitive round.

fullstop wrote: »
    Could make 10 bogeys and 3 doubles in a competitive round.

She was lucky so, did 3 shots better than the worst that could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Haven't watched them for years. Is there any personality there or are still ignoring people on the course.

Haven't watched them for years. Is there any personality there or are still ignoring people on the course.
    What do you mean? Ignoring who on the course?

Many years ago they were ignoring supporters on the course.

There just didn't seem to be any personality there at all. Has that changed?

I don't know. I've never seen them play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

What do you want them to do - chat to spectators between shots? Crack jokes?

First Up wrote: »
    :D

Nothing wrong with smiling and saying hello, thanks for the support, etc.

No one cares about no.1 these days. If you have no personality you are invisible.

I just wanted to find out if they grew out that phase.

Anyhow, Leona playing some good stuff, although she had 2 bogeys, she'd had an eagle and three birdies after 11holes and up to T5.
    There are still a number of contenders to go out but the going is better in the morning.
    Doing well...

Just gone birdie, eagle, birdie to move into the top 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

First Up wrote: »
    :D

Nothing wrong with smiling and saying hello, thanks for the support, etc.

No one cares about no.1 these days. If you have no personality you are invisible.

I just wanted to find out if they grew out that phase.
    Leona was as engaged with the gallery as anyone else when I saw her in the Curtis Cup at Dun Laoghaire.

Strong finish, birdied the last two to currently lie T4th

Another double to start for Lisa.

Is this on tv?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is this on tv?

Don't think so.

• Advertisement

Another double to start for Lisa.

Eagled the third and then double bogey on the 4th

munster87 wrote: »
    Eagled the third and then double bogey on the 4th

And a triple thrown in for good measure. Now +23 and last place by 9 shots, not even remotely able for that level - 33 shots off the lead after 33 holes.

And a triple thrown in for good measure. Now +23 and last place by 9 shots, not even remotely able for that level - 33 shots off the lead after 33 holes.

You seem to be hinting at something but it continues to elude me...must be too subtle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A good learning experience for Lisa.

She tees it up again next week so hopefully she can improve :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Paddy Last for Lisa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It's bizarre. An Irish golfer finished in the Top 15 on her tour debut and posters are obsessed with how poorly her sister played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Jaysus lads, you'd swear you never had a bad few rounds. Don't forget this is the peak of women's golf. I'm sure she'll learn and get better

Good to see Leona hit the ground running

GreeBo wrote: »
    You seem to be hinting at something but it continues to elude me...must be too subtle.

I'm sure you can work it out greenbo, you're a clever guy.

Good finish for Leona, top 15.

Aww greenbo, let me spell it out for you...she'll be on the sister's bag within 6 months.

Someone said Lowry will be running a pro shop a few months after he turned pro!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Someone said Lowry will be running a pro shop a few months after he turned pro!!

Wasn't me ;)

And I don't think Lowry was ever cut adrift of the field like that.

Wasn't me ;)

And I don't think Lowry was ever cut adrift of the field like that.

I didn’t say it was you, but someone did say it and look how wrong they were!!

But I do agree, it was a tough first event for her. Hopefully onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's bizarre. An Irish golfer finished in the Top 15 on her tour debut and posters are obsessed with how poorly her sister played.

Same as the mcllroy thread, people only post there when he's shoots a 72+, good old fashioned Ireland is alive and well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Read an article recently about Lisa and how when she arrived at Duke the coach there took a look at her swing and said that it would have gotten her through college golf but wouldn't make it on the PGA tour, and set about reconstructing it.

Safe to say that has been a complete and utter disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

ForeRight wrote: »
    Leona really is a phenomenal prospect for Irish golf. I watch a huge amount of the LPGA as I find it more relateable to my own game. The men are playing a different game altogether.

I'm really looking forward to seeing an Irish flag on the leaderboards in the women's game now.

Totally agree you really learn so much watching the women there short games are phoemeonal!

It was on the Golf Channel but when they started the Live feed Leona was only shown on 18 with an eagle putt then tap in birdie.
    $25k, nice

3 under T7 first round for Leona on her debut on the Symetra tour (feeder to LGPA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Edna_Ennky

3 under T7 first round for Leona on her debut on the Symetra tour (feeder to LGPA)

She played the perfect round of tee-to-green golf according to her 1st round stats. The Cavan golfer hit 14 out of 14 fairways and hit all 18 greens in regulation. If she can improve her putting (33 putts today) for her final two rounds then maybe a first pro title could be on the cards. Here's hoping. Her sister Lisa is 2 over with one hole to play.

-5 today ( including a hole in one) to get to 8 under and T5th

Hole in one on her 5th pro round, wow

Finished at -10 total, currently T3 place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tinpib

Looks like she finished T15th for $24,891

Picking up $20k - $25k every week isn't bad.

http://www.lpga.com/tournaments/shoprite-lpga-classic-presented-by-acer/results

edit: whoops. that's last week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement