Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for the mornings/evenings like today

Options
  • 18-11-2009 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi There ... came in on the bike today morning. It was pissing rain .. I had my IxonIQ on the bar and a Fenix E20 on the helmet ... Though this combination has proved very good in the dry ... even the IxonIQ on its own ... its as if the wet weather just saps any strength out of the light. I would like to understand what causes this ..

Anyway, on top of that, the glasses get droplets of water on them which makes it even worse. I always wear them assuming that if I don't something will get into the eye ... So the question ... does anyone ride in the wet without glasses .. has this been a problem? Does anybody have any suggestions to prevent droplets sticking to the glass. Lastly ... does anyone have any recommendation to prevent fogging of glasses. In the dry, foggy glasses seem to clear up as soon as you move ... but in wet weather, they seem to stick on the glass for the first minute or so .. and when you have been standing at the lights for a few mins, by the time I get going, I could be without sight for 100 to 200 mts .. which unnerved me today morning.

Thanks for your replies.

ps: I got drenched from top to bottom today. Rain jacket, overshoes ... had everything, but every last piece of clothing is socked to bits

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You might want to ask the motorcyclists about the fogging and water repulsion.

I think some of them use Rain-X or similar. Haven't tried it myself.

From my own experience of fogging in a full face bike helmet, you need to keep some airflow going around the back of the visor, usually by opening it a crack.

Regarding lights, I've read that high power lights (e.g. the Magicshine) can be problematic in the rain, as you end up lighting up the droplets and creating glare, so more power won't necessarily help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I choose the bus. For all of the reasons you describe. No fun cycling today.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,593 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

At least the wind that was forecast did not materialise this morning!

I have the same problem with "fogging". I wear prescription cycling spec (wraparaound type), with "light enhancing" lenses. The main issue is when I pull up - as soon as I get going again they quickly clear. You can get sprays for cleaning spectacles that have an "anti-misting formula". However I fend the effect wears off fairly quicky on days like today (although my commute is about 45 minutes - they are probably OK for the first 20 or so)

In terms of the droplets, I find these cycling specs are much better than my normal glasses - the wind tends to push the water to the edge of the lens. However, whatever spectacles I am wearing, the biggest issue I find on days like today is the glare of car lights (particularly fog-lights, or brake lights), which is made much worse by droplets on the lens.

Would I cycle without my glasses - absolutely not. I am quite shortsighted and want to see as much road detail as I can (particularly the unlit potholed roads of North County Dublin)

I also tried a new combination of foot protection this morning, which worked very well (still some dampness, but nothing like past experience). I had very thin pair of lycra type socks (Assos thermic), then lightweight Sealskinz. I then had my Sidi winter boots (with Goretex), windstopper overshoes and topped it off with Goretex overshoes. A costly, but quite effective, combination

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

car

but i have to go to a meeting after work which is 30 miles away - thats my excuse and i'm sticking with and it wasnt raining here at 8:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Found this on CRC a while ago - more for DH but you could give it a try http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25404. Cycled in this morning and I am dry and toasty with my 5 euro Pennies cycle jacket (possibly the cheapest and best jacket ever).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Fogging up? Ventilated lenses FTW - actually works

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I wear a rain hat, and the peak usually keeps rain off my glasses. I don't think I've had my vision obscured by droplets since I stared using the hat, but I did used to cycle without glasses when I did have that problem, but I'm not that short-sighted. Still much prefer to wear them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

I wear glasses permanently, and the fogging is the biggest issue for me - try WD40 on the lens first, apply then wipe off.

I was surprised how good my dlab top mentioned on earlier threads bore up to a down pour. The labels says the jacket is shower proof and my cycle is only 25 mins or so door to door. Was nice and dry on the top half - the top is breatable as well, so not too sweaty. Bottom half was covered by Gelert leggings (used for golf - a bit baggy, but they serve their purpose at the moment). Feet - North Face Goretex runners - nice and dry when I got in.

Overall not too bad for a first morning in the driving rain.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I find fogging is only a problem when I'm stopped, so I breathe out the side of my mouth when I'm stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jollybean

I use Oakley glasses, expensive but worth the money. Rain does not stick to the glass and they don't fog, magic glasses I'd say. I know they are expensive but worth it i think cause i've worn mine to death, even on days like today. Chainreaction seem to have the best prices. I don't know if there are any less expensive but equally good alternatives.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Anyway, on top of that, the glasses get droplets of water on them which makes it even worse. I always wear them assuming that if I don't something will get into the eye ... So the question ... does anyone ride in the wet without glasses .. has this been a problem?

Put full mudugards on the bike and I cycle with a peaked cap to keep the worst of the rain out of my eye. Not great when it's really, really windy though. I don't bother with glasses when commuting anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

jollybean wrote: »
    I use Oakley glasses, expensive but worth the money. Rain does not stick to the glass and they don't fog, magic glasses I'd say. I know they are expensive but worth it i think cause i've worn mine to death, even on days like today. Chainreaction seem to have the best prices. I don't know if there are any less expensive but equally good alternatives.

Not actually true. I have oakley radars and the DO fog. Rain DOES stick to the glass. from that point of view they are a waste of money.

However from the not shattering and ripping your face apart they are worth it.

Gavin wrote: »
    I don't bother with glasses when commuting anymore.
    Yep, have to agree. I think I'll just put them in a hard case in my back pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Fogging up? Ventilated lenses FTW - actually works

Thanks ... but can't really see myself spending that sort of money for that .. I'd rather take a punch to my current glasses.
    Gavin wrote: »
    Put full mudugards on the bike and I cycle with a peaked cap to keep the worst of the rain out of my eye. Not great when it's really, really windy though. I don't bother with glasses when commuting anymore.

Bike won't take full mudguards .. but I do have the crud roadracer on them and they seem to do a fair job ... saves the back and ass from road spray .. but was still wet from the rain.

Don't really mind the rain that much .... but water/fog on glasses I could do without. I might try trip home without the glasses and see how bad it is.

WD40 ???? hmm ... interesting .. might try that tomorrow so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    Not actually true. I have oakley radars and the DO fog. Rain DOES stick to the glass. from that point of view they are a waste of money.

However from the not shattering and ripping your face apart they are worth it.

Tested that yet? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

tomasrojo wrote:
    so I breathe out the side of my mouth when I'm stopped.
    Heh. I spend my time gasping when I'm stopped...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Got eye surgery last year so glasses are no longer an issue for me, but on days like this I could have done with some clear ones, the ones I have are either for glaring sun or low light like the type you'd wear skiing, some of the drops smashing into the delicate eye area were bloody painful. But I'm a bit of a masochist, I enjoy being out in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I raced once in absolutely torrential rain soon after getting contacts and found not wearing glasses massively increased viability, e.g. taking OFF my sunglasses. Everyone else had done the same. Stuff into the eyes wasn't a big problem although my face was coated with muck afterwards. Seriously was a revelation, I could not believe visability could be that good in the rain. My 2c says take off the glasses although I would need the contacts, can't cycle without correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Cycling cap under the helmet, no glasses is the best way to go, I've found, especially if you're going to be out in the rain for a while. I try to keep an old helmet where the padding is worn and packed down to make this more comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭fletch

Don't bother with glasses either when commuting....never really had a problem with rain in my eyes tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

I've been commuting for a while with no glasses, no problem. Mainly because I dont have any glasses at the mo. It's only an issue when you're close behind someone without mudguards - they throw up grit etc that gets in the eyes. The rain itself is fine unless you're commuting REALLY FAST !
    I might try trip home without the glasses and see how bad it is.

WD40 ???? hmm ... interesting .. might try that tomorrow so.

I use my boards cap over my balaclava, and most of the rain seems to stay off my glasses this way. Saying this though, there have been plenty of times when it gets so bad that I found that I'd have more visibility (like blorg said) without glasses, but when in the middle of commuting I just look over the tops of my glasses, and that does the job. I don't find too much of a problem with fogging when on the bike, although if I have my balaclava over my nose the glasses definitely fog up. Only real problems with fogging I have is heading from outside in winter to inside, particularly if you're looking for someone in a pub it gets annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I stopped wearing glasses in the rain last week as I found it easier to see without them. It might have been the glare from cars but I found it easier to see wothout them. It stops the whole fogging up issue also. I'd probably still wear them in the daylight though but that won't be for a few months on my commute.

Advertisement