Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish bike routes

Options
  • 26-07-2004 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I'm planning on doing a Wicklow to Galway run in AUgusts, and am starting to plan the route I take.

Car road maps don't show whether there are bike paths (as if!), the condition of the road's shoulders, what kiund of climbs there are, etc, so I was wondering if there are any sources for Irish bike routes around?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You seem to be set on your start and end points so I don't know how useful this advice is, but I recommend you consider cycling along the canal toepaths - generally hard packed dirt tracks. It's off the road, lovely scenery. If you're looking for speed, go the main road routes. You won't find bike tracks for more than 10% of that journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Forgot to say - Inland Waterways are the people you want to talk to, have a google for them and see what you find.

Best of luck,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

That sounds excellent. I've just been on their site and although my route isn't completely covered it looks like I may be able to get onto some of the paths for part of the journey.

Do you know if generally there are many posts/fences you need to lift your bike over ? I ask because my bike is HEAVY and BIG (a recumbent).

Thanks for the idea...

Advertisement