Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Irish Open - Lahinch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭fire_man

House available which would suit 2-3 for 4 days of tournament 10 -15 .mins away from Lahinch.PM for more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Seamus Power has confirmed that he has received a tournament invite for the Irish Open in Lahinch. He along with Team Ireland's Cormac Sharvin and Gavin Moynihan have also received invites for the $7 million Rolex series event.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Grand stands are being built currently. One of the locals tells me that if you stand still too long there's a high probability you'll get painted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Planning on going on the Friday but cash a bit tight at the moment to purchase tickets. Do you think this will see out or will there still be tickets available on the gate?

Jon Rahm confirmed now as well. Shaping up to be a very good field.

Martin Kaymer confirmed today

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

I’d be amazed if there isn’t a big American announcement.

Very few have confirmed for either or Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

Remind me wrote: »
    I’d be amazed if there isn’t a big American announcement.

Very few have confirmed for either or Scotland

I’d be very surprised if there was a big American name confirmed despite it being played on links . It’s all about the Benjamin’s and there ain’t enough of them on offer . Plain and simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

rooney30 wrote: »
    I’d be very surprised if there was a big American name confirmed despite it being played on links . It’s all about the Benjamin’s and there ain’t enough of them on offer . Plain and simple

The Irish open, as part of Rolex series, will be one of the biggest events prize money wise on the European tour, with the winner will be getting well over 1 million euro, prize fund will be at least 7 million

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

rooney30 wrote: »

The prize money at the Irish is $7million.
    The prize money at the 3M Open in Minneapolis (the PGA Tour event running in parallel) is $6.4million.

3M have announced only a handful of big names like Koepka, Mickelson, Day , Reed and Dechambeau so far. This means many have yet to make up their minds about schedule . Its a new course, so no major loyalty or familiarity associated with it and not on the beaten path up in Minneapolis.

You never know, the Irish open may get a couple of decent Americans yet. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

We will know the full field for the Irish Open at Lahinch come tomorrow week. At present just 5 (Rahm, Fleetwood, Oosthuizen, Poulter and Lowry) of the world's top 50 have committed to play at the West Clare venue commencing July 4th. I do expect Justin Rose to add his name to the list of committed players (I hope anyways).

At this stage the following Irish players have committed to play in Lahinch. Graeme McDowell, Shane Lowry, Padraig Harrington, Gavin Moynihan, Paul Dunne, Seamus Power and Cormac Sharvin. I don't know about whether Paul McGinley or Darren Clarke will play in Lahinch though. There will be 4 additional qualifiers from Ireland after the conclusion of the Irish Open 36 hole qualifier in Moyvalley, which will take place on June 29th and 30th.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Rickie Fowler play.

Don’t think he has confirmed for Scotland and pre open has played links courses previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

They'll want to have a clinic to earn some money before the event as no appearance money to play as they just happen to be coexist.

Need a few more top names to boost the ranking points. Long way to go for a not a huge amount of ranking points.

Could be on the road for 3 weeks might put them off also.

End of the day these blokes turn up where they want.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If we're talking Yanks then I think they will want to avoid Lahinch, it's a tough course and the last thing they will want is to be bet up on a links course in the weeks leading into The Open.
    Everyone assumes golfers without Links experience will want to get loads of Links golf in before The Open, Frankie hates links golf and played no links prior to his Open win last year, in fact he stayed in the US the week before (and won if I recall correctly), better to come into a Major either on form or playing well but not having been bet up in the previous week(s)

slave1 wrote: »
    If we're talking Yanks then I think they will want to avoid Lahinch, it's a tough course and the last thing they will want is to be bet up on a links course in the weeks leading into The Open.
    Everyone assumes golfers without Links experience will want to get loads of Links golf in before The Open, Frankie hates links golf and played no links prior to his Open win last year, in fact he stayed in the US the week before (and won if I recall correctly), better to come into a Major either on form or playing well but not having been bet up in the previous week(s)

He stayed in the US to try secure his fedex spot and spoke openly about missing the European events.

Most will be playing/practicing on links, if they want competitive golf Lahinch is the perfect opportunity. The 3 weeks away from States is a downer though because the vast majority don’t travel at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

slave1 wrote: »

"Bet up"? Is this meant to mean "beaten up"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not that hard to grasp surely . . is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Anyone have a link to the site which shows the tide times ? In particular west Clare ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Most of the Americans aren't members of the European tour so doubt they could just rock up to a rolex event if it suits them, I'd imagine they wound need to get a special invite and I'd imagine they're limited.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to the site which shows the tide times ? In particular west Clare ?

Try www.google.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

you're obviously not a GAA person :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Exactly wrote: »

Will that help me find my ball as well ?

Most of the Americans aren't members of the European tour so doubt they could just rock up to a rolex event if it suits them, I'd imagine they wound need to get a special invite and I'd imagine they're limited.

Any prominent American would have no problem getting in the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Any prominent American would have no problem getting in the field

Correct.

Struggling to see who might sign up now though. Fowler has almost always played in Scotland and is a past champion. Notwithstanding his friendship with McIlroy, if he plays a tournament in the run up to Portrush, Id wager hel play Scotland.

Correct.

Struggling to see who might sign up now though. Fowler has almost always played in Scotland and is a past champion. Notwithstanding his friendship with McIlroy, if he plays a tournament in the run up to Portrush, Id wager hel play Scotland.

Could be wrong but thought he had indicated he is not playing Scotland because it’s parkland?

• Advertisement

Could be wrong but thought he had indicated he is not playing Scotland because it’s parkland?

You might be right. Would be a real addition to the event if he were to commit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Think it’s kind of like a carton house. Renaissance golf club anyway. Not quite a fully fledged links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I'm skipping the Irish Open this year in favour of two days at The Open, the greatest of all golf tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

TCM wrote: »
    I'm skipping the Irish Open this year in favour of two days at The Open, the greatest of all golf tournaments.

Event is possibly unlucky The Open is on this island, would imagine it'd affect the crowd size. Didn't think I'd ever say I'd be happy to miss the Open this year, but turns out it'd be selling my tix if got them.

Sorted for the Friday in Lahinch anyway, good line-up there. Can't see any big name Americans showing up. Can see groups being like Poulter, Rahm, Lowry as the "feature group", have others spread out to keep crowds moving. Warm but windy day I'm hoping for, birdie fests are just boring

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Tides Near Me app is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Rafa Cabrera Bello confirmed today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

me89 wrote: »
    Rafa Cabrera Bello confirmed today

While I expected this, I really can't wait to see him play

Loads of work has been done in Lahinch and the place is looking very well.

The biggest marquee is actually in the short game area across the road from the 18th green - it's bigger than the clubhouse!

It's going to be really good I think - I hope the weather behaves.

Matt Wallace, Tyrell Hatton and Eddie Pepperall all confirmed for the tournament aswell.

Pretty solid field and so looking forward to coming home for the week. Going to be amazing to watch these pros on a course Iv known and played since I was 10.

Going to guess James Sugrue will be playing in it regardless of how he goes tomorrow due to being a past south of Ireland winner

Matt Wallace, Tyrell Hatton and Eddie Pepperall all confirmed for the tournament aswell.

Pretty solid field and so looking forward to coming home for the week. Going to be amazing to watch these pros on a course Iv known and played since I was 10.

Going to guess James Sugrue will be playing in it regardless of how he goes tomorrow due to being a past south of Ireland winner

Only way an amateur will get in is if they come through the qualifier

Only way an amateur will get in is if they come through the qualifier

Nah, they can get invites just like in other tournaments. You can see it for example for the entry list for next weeks european tour event.

Nah, they can get invites just like in other tournaments. You can see it for example for the entry list for next weeks european tour event.

They don’t get them in the Rolex events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Can you buy tickets on the Saturday or do i have to buy online?

They don’t get them in the Rolex events.

Ah, forgot about that actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 diar1000

Looking at heading down to this, accommodation is ridiculous, Is there any campsite or somewhere to pitch a trailer tent?
    Looking at the internet, campsites seem very limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 diar1000

fearruanua wrote: »
    Campervan and berth at campsite in Lahinch all sorted!!! Driving down Thursday evening and heading to the golf on Fri, Sat and Sun.

Question for ye. If we head to the golf in the morning, will we be allowed back in again in the evening if we into town or back to the campsite for lunch?

Where are you setting up camp?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

diar1000 wrote: »
    Looking at heading down to this, accommodation is ridiculous, Is there any campsite or somewhere to pitch a trailer tent?

Did you try AirBnB, I got a place in Limavady no problem last week for The Open so try that route

diar1000 wrote: »

High demand plus limited supply makes accommodation scarce and probably expensive too.

There's a campsite on the Miltown Malbay road. I'd suggest you call them. (065) 708 1626

The village is looking amazing and this event is huge in scale. A fleet of white BMW suvs arrived earlier. Must be 30 of them in the golf club car park.

All we need is some decent weather.....

p.s. I'm on the course all next week as a volunteer.

Slightly off topic but it's amazing the quality of players that JP McManus can get for a pro am and what we've had at the Irish open over the last few years.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Anyone have an idea how the pro am will work next Wednesday?

What time do they start?? Who is playing with who?? And what are there tee times then??

Trying to organise my viewing week.

This week would have been ideal weather wise, some heat, nice bit of wind and some rain,having said that weather for next week looks decent.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Little Bubbles

Hi. My first time going to a golf event. What are the best clothes to wear to this. Pants good walking boots and light jacket?

Hi. My first time going to a golf event. What are the best clothes to wear to this. Pants good walking boots and light jacket?

Keep an eye on the forecast for sure, but even if its good, prepare for the worst. Umbrella might not be necessary but deffo bring a rain jacket. Spectating isnt the same as playing; the pros might be in polos when theyre walking and swinging but youll be standing around a lot so will likely need an extra layer or two.

Shoes are also v important. Comfortable and waterproof if possible. Dont know how but links fescue grass has a way of soaking your socks even when it looks wispy and harmless!

And dont forget suncream. Wind burn by the sea can be bad even if the sun isnt out much. And always bring sunglasses as youll be looking skywards a lot following shots.

What time do they start?? Who is playing with who?? And what are there tee times then??

2 shotgun starts. First at 7.45am. Draw not made yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Looking forward to Friday now. First year I have been to it and not driving so I plan on not doing as much walking as previous years and having more pints :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement