Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 100/200 2019

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Did the 200 yesterday, max distance I had cycled before that was 45k, pretty happy that I finished it but my god was it tough!

The last 60k in horrific conditions, nothing more than adrenaline pushing me through.

Can’t say it was an enjoyable event but mentally it is very satisfying knowing I completed it. Well done to anyone who did it, new found respect!!

Wow, well done, that's a huge step up from 45km!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did the 200 yesterday, max distance I had cycled before that was 45k,

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

Did the 200 yesterday, max distance I had cycled before that was 45k, pretty happy that I finished it but my god was it tough!

The last 60k in horrific conditions, nothing more than adrenaline pushing me through.

Can’t say it was an enjoyable event but mentally it is very satisfying knowing I completed it. Well done to anyone who did it, new found respect!!

Youve only ever done 45k previously and did the whoel 200???:eek:

Did you make it up all the climbs without stopping?

What time did you do the event in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Took the plunge on Sat night and signed up.
    The 3:45 am start was the hardest part to get down in time.

Great event. Hats off to the marshals... they were absolutely everywhere... really great work from evey single one.

Last hour in the rain and traffic wasn't great if I'm honest, much more the traffic than the rail really. Would have preferred another big mountain climb then those busy main roads.

Was pleasantly surprised at the climbs. Never been up in the Wicklow mountains before and was expecting steeper climbs, the typical 7-8% gradients were very pleasant as I'd been expecting more like 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

I was marshalling at the R761/R762 roundabouts as you came back in towards Greystones from Kilcoole, I was there from about 12.20 till 4.00, so caught many of the 100km riders and the first 50% or so of the 200km riders, my first time to marshall the event having ridden the 200km 5 times.

Some thoughts and observations:

Well done to the young lady who recovered from a horrendous rear wheel skid as she tried to slow coming down the hill with a car in front of her, she was sideways for a while but just about got a foot out in time.

More riders on TT bikes than I thought, most I'd imagine having done the 100

So many Cubes, many more than I would have thought

One or two lads (chasing a time) very nearly ended up under cars, slowing down a little going through traffic filled roundabouts tends not to lose you too much time, especially in a 200km spin

Many drivers coming on to the roundabouts ceded their right of way to let riders through, lots of courtesy on display

Most of the argy bargy I heard was car on car, only one instance of a driver abusing a rider

Two cars drove the wrong side of the roundabout, one when there was no other traffic, the other led to quite a loud bit of the argy bargy as above.

When the rain started quite a few stopped with me to put on their jackets and have a chat, all reported having a good day, in general most cyclists seemed in good form, with many giving me a wave or thanks as they went by.

The vast majority of bikes going by had numbers, I'd reckon the number doing it without paying is small enough.

Well done to all who made it round, especially Maximillus, I can think of easier ways to build up your mileage than going from 42 to 200 in one swoop

• Advertisement

Is it always a similar final run in through the traffic or was that new for this year?

That was probably the biggest thing that would put me off doing again or recommending to others. Raincertainly didn't help at that stage but even if it had of been dry it looked like a very busy section of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

ED E wrote: »
    That sounds a lot like your zones are set for a much younger rider (Max HR drops with age so the range compresses).

Sorry, odd in that I wasn't pacing to get to the top of the hill, but just staying at ~150bpm. I'm normally having to work hard at the top of a hill, staying "constant" with the HRM was slower but I definitely had power left in the engine at the end (cramp aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

did my 2nd 200 (did the 100 in 2017) - hats off to all the marshalls & extra thanks to the roving motorbike guys who ensured that no man (or woman) was left behind.
    Rain started to come down just before I started up Slieve Maan, so I had the 2 climbs in the wet.
    snapped my gear cable going up Windgates (which is my daily commute) thankfully I was left with the small ring gears, otherwise I'd say i wouldn't have finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sinbad_NI wrote: »

Was pleasantly surprised at the climbs. Never been up in the Wicklow mountains before and was expecting steeper climbs, the typical 7-8% gradients were very pleasant as I'd been expecting more like 10%.

doesn't it go up Old Long Hill right at the start - that's got to be 10% at least.

loyatemu wrote: »
    doesn't it go up Old Long Hill right at the start - that's got to be 10% at least.

https://www.strava.com/segments/3410224

6% but peaks at 16 for a wee second.

The route doesnt do Red Lane, The Wall, Bohill Lane etc but doing so on a busy sportive would be a recipe for disaster.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »

There were a few short sections that were steeper of course.
    The first climb and the hairpin at Conary spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

nilhg wrote: »
    many giving me a wave or thanks as they went by.
    I think it's common courtesy and respect to thank marshals whenever possible.

Besides that, it let's the Marshall know you've seen them and understand any instructions.
    In the past I've had one or two minor constructive criticism of the w200 but the marshals were always outstanding
    Great day yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

The vast majority of bikes going by had numbers, I'd reckon the number doing it without paying is small enough.
    Seen a fair few people who didn't have their race number front and center so I say that number was probably smaller still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

rondog wrote: »
    Youve only ever done 45k previously and did the whoel 200???:eek:

Did you make it up all the climbs without stopping?

What time did you do the event in?

Walked for about 5 minutes on sliabh Mann, all other climbs without stopping. Did it in 10hrs which I was pretty happy with

I was marshalling at the R761/R762 roundabouts as you came back in towards Greystones from Kilcoole, I was there from about 12.20 till 4.00, so caught many of the 100km riders and the first 50% or so of the 200km riders, my first time to marshall the event having ridden the 200km 5 times.

Well done to the young lady who recovered from a horrendous rear wheel skid as she tried to slow coming down the hill with a car in front of her, she was sideways for a while but just about got a foot out in time.

One or two lads (chasing a time) very nearly ended up under cars, slowing down a little going through traffic filled roundabouts tends not to lose you too much time, especially in a 200km spin

Many drivers coming on to the roundabouts ceded their right of way to let riders through, lots of courtesy on display

Most of the argy bargy I heard was car on car, only one instance of a driver abusing a rider

Two cars drove the wrong side of the roundabout, one when there was no other traffic, the other led to quite a loud bit of the argy bargy as above.

When the rain started quite a few stopped with me to put on their jackets and have a chat, all reported having a good day, in general most cyclists seemed in good form, with many giving me a wave or thanks as they went by.

Well done to all who made it round, especially Maximillus, I can think of easier ways to build up your mileage than going from 42 to 200 in one swoop

Have to say fair play to all the marshalls, giving up there time on a Sunday, I passed the last ones around 530 or so and it was lashing rain, thanks a lot for keeping everyone in the right direction and also for the words of encouragement

rondog wrote: »
    Only did the 100 but have to say it was a great day out on the Bike.

Weather at the start was lovely and warm.

Got in with some good groups and flew around the course.

The organisation was top notch as usual and no shortage of food/coffee/post ride pasta.

Keep threatening to do the 200 one year,maybe next year will be it.

Just dive in, you’ll think yourself out of it otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GG21057

Thought the food in Rathdrum was very poor. Sandwiches ok but distinct lack if pastries and buns. And no caramel slices!! I only do it for the caramel slices. Did the 100 and hard to see value for €60.

Have to say fair play to all the marshalls, giving up there time on a Sunday, I passed the last ones around 530 or so and it was lashing rain, thanks a lot for keeping everyone in the right direction and also for the words of encouragement

Ehhmm, wouldn't say that.

All IVCA members can be called up and they get a 6wks ban if they don't show. They also forfeit any prize money. Its not like a club sportive where everyone volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Just a note on the numbers I had mine in my back pocket as I didn't want it rattling at the front of the bike and I knew a few others who registered and didn't put the number on either or had them stuck at the seatpost so a fair amount with no numbers would have been registered I'd say.

ED E wrote: »
    Ehhmm, wouldn't say that.

All IVCA members can be called up and they get a 6wks ban if they don't show. They also forfeit any prize money. Its not like a club sportive where everyone volunteers.

Ah right ok, wasn’t aware of that!! Was wondering why so many people would just openly volunteer to stand in the rain ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,479 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ah right ok, wasn’t aware of that!! Was wondering why so many people would just openly volunteer to stand in the rain ha ha
    My shift was 07:15 to 12;45, so I caught all the sunshine....

Yes there certainly is a 3-line whip on this, and because of no-shows in prior years they implemented stricter sanctions for racing members not doing their stints last year. Having said that the vast majority of racing members turn up regardless (I've been at Rathdrum for the past 3 years, and have only managed about 3 laps of road racing in that time (plus a couple of track events) and 9 Road Race marshal slots on top of those for the WW200)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Was injured and couldn’t do it this year, the other half did the 100. I drove and stopped along the way to take photos, offer moral support, and carry food and spares, also had some tubes and a track pump in the boot.

Have to say that the marshalls make the day, apart from giving directions, most also encourage people. The majority of cyclists were also excellent.

Noticed a smashed car window in Rathdrum, at the bottom of the exit from the food stop. Got a brush from the Centra and swept the road clear.

Stopped a few times to lend a hand with punctures as I had a track pump. Amazingly one particular person had 3 flats, and no spare tubes! Relied on other rides to stop and help.

Advertisement