Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding Bank Fees & Charges

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

McGaggs wrote: »
    Are there actually people out there who do everything with one bank? Doesn't everyone already have different products with different providers?

Older generation i'd say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

darconio wrote: »
    I went today to close my UB account.I called the CS and they advised that I'd need a 0 balance in order to close the account, so I transferred last night the 3000 euros I was keeping in the account to avoid additional charges.
    I went in today and those clowns had the guts to charge me 2.22€ for the account being open without the 3000 euro for the whole morning...
    I had 2.25 in my pocket, I made sure to claim my 3 cents change... ba$stards

I wouldn't have paid it on point of principle.

BOI waived fee on closing in my case as I didn't have 3,000 in a/c in fee quarter having transferred it out to close the a/c...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

I went today to close my UB account.I called the CS and they advised that I'd need a 0 balance in order to close the account, so I transferred last night the 3000 euros I was keeping in the account to avoid additional charges.
    I went in today and those clowns had the guts to charge me 2.22€ for the account being open without the 3000 euro for the whole morning...

I recall similar stories when PTSB introduced charges a couple of years ago and people were closing their accounts You have someone in a call centre telling you one thing and someone in a branch imposing a different rule after you have already taken the action suggested by the person in the call centre.

It helps your case if you have the name of the person that you spoke to in the call centre if you have any doubts on the advice being given, and ask to speak to the most senior person in the branch and explain the situation. That said, if you're still not getting anywhere and you're not going to be giving any more of your business to them anyway, I'd probably just pay if it's only a couple of €s.

Saying that, being ahead of the majority closing their accounts probably doesn't pay. When UB are in proper closing down mode, they are likely to have proper procedures in place that are known to all customer-facing staff to avoid these eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

2.22 what a joke. Some companies can be absolute messers when it comes to closing down accounts. Its annoying but justifies further your reasons for leaving them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Hibernicis wrote: »
    I use Ulster for all my day to day banking (Credit card, current account and savings/deposit account). Find the overall service more than adequate and although not free the cost is acceptable** given a largish number of transactions and the facilities and app functionality. I use other banks etc. also but only for infrequent savings/deposit transactions.

** I maintain a €3,000 balance in my c/a and so only pay €24pa in fees.

Many years ago, I paid them €9 a month, but I got more than that back from their Ticketmaster cashback. The interest free overdraft had my balance a good bit away from €3k...

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    The fact that you pay €24 for the privilege of not paying other fees and as a result need to keep €3,000 in a current account rather than savings is mental to me.

What's the opportunity cost of not having 3k in savings? €10p.a.?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

McGaggs wrote: »
    What's the opportunity cost of not having 3k in savings? €10p.a.?

Best case scenario you can get 0.85% from Ulster Bank (probably won't last long given they are leaving) which works out at €25.50. Dirt takes a third of that so €8.50. So €17 give or take. That is best case scenario, anywhere else will give you less interest. So, yeah not exactly worth losing sleep over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

But it's also €3k you're essentially giving up?

It's the same as a term deposit, but the interest is the amount of charges is saves you and theres no dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

It's also a risk if your card gets skimmed. You then have 3k extra in your account that can be taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

daheff wrote: »
    It's also a risk if your card gets skimmed. You then have 3k extra in your account that can be taken.

Thats a bank risk not yours so not really a factor unless you done track your account

Islander13 wrote: »
    Thats a bank risk not yours so not really a factor unless you done track your account

So, it's more of a factor if your bank's app doesn't have push notifications for spending/transfers or if their app/online is so bad that you don't log on often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

Islander13 wrote: »

It's yours until they refund you any money that's been taken. Not always a clean cut discussion with your bank.

daheff wrote: »
    It's yours until they refund you any money that's been taken. Not always a clean cut discussion with your bank.

And not always a quick decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Whats the go to bank thats not EBS at the minute?

Just had a fun morning with EBS

Ringing to get a letter sent out so i can access my bank again (if you reinstall the app or do ANYTHING with your phone it kicks you out)

Got the card manager paired, topped up revolut once, went to do it again or have auto top up and no all failed, twice on hold for over ten minutes to no joy

Have a credit union and then revolut for day to day, but theres two days waiting on a payment from credit union to appear in revolut

Had N26 and virtual card kept being declined randomly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I use N26 with physical card and it's worked OK for me.

Yeah I wasn't paying tenner for a card for free banking (yes I know ONLY a tenner)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yeah they changed the free card a few months before I changed (the usual about the environment etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Does your Credit Union not offer a debit card?

• Advertisement

My local credit union are hopeless for a start

After that all I could see its E4 a month to have an current account, I never checked to see if thats what you have to pay for debit card

You just prompted me to look at the fee breakdown of my local CU 😀

€4 a month administration fee and some other charges that I hadn't expected. Had been planning on moving to them from KBC but might rethink that now. I'd feel a bit exposed keeping all my money with N26 but maybe that's just old man thinking

I have EBS money manager

Credit Union

Revolut (becuase of issues with N26 and not paying for a card to see IF will fix them)

Lodge money into credit union, then use that to keep EBS topped up, then have EBS credit card to top up Revolut as and when I need to (keep say 100 in it)

Would not attempt to use EBS card to do online etc as you have to allow transactions via the app, plus dont support google pay etc (so much better tapping a phone to pay)

Auto topup from EBS to Revolut wont work as "its not a secure site and try smaller amounts to see if works" I was told on the phone

I did look into KBS, but dont handle cash (dont work so no salary going in) and felt I was disturbing them and handed a booklet an more or less told to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Most CUs provide online access now, so you can have an account with electronic access for free. You could keep your main funds in the CU, get your salary into the CU, and transfer spending money to N26 or Revolut, allowing for the 2-3 transfer period.

If you need a debit card, see if your CU (or any CU that you can join) does the CU Current Account. It is €4 per month, but the other fees seemed to be fairly unlikely or unusual.

This might be the way I go. Deposit to CU, transfer spending money to Revolut and use Avant for credit card. Might test out N26 at some stage but need to renew my passport first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

I need to open a new current acc instead of my KBC. Do any of them have free fees now?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

That's exactly what I do. Wages paid into CU and transfer spending money from CU to N26. Always arrives in less than 24 hours (weekends & bank holidays excepted).

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mick23

is there charges on your credit card when you top up revolut with the cc ? some credit card companies view revolut top ups as a cash withdrawal and charge high fees for using that facility . im with avant and i used to top up revolut with it but last year hey have started to charge cash withdrawal fees everytime i top up my revolut card with it

I just checked there and no charges, thats why so many recommend it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mick23

Advertisement