Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying tax on someone's behalf

Options
  • 19-02-2021 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I am looking for advice on how to pay tax on someone's behalf. Basically the situation is this:
    • My now adult daughter has some investments that were started before she was a minor (2 - 3 years ago).
    • I control the investments through the account being set up as a c/o account for a minor.
    • Recently the amount of book profit has increased to where it would be a good idea to take the profits (about 33%).
    • The profits, except the taxes, would be reinvested into another investment.
    • The profits would be subject to CGT, and there would be a 4 figure tax bill.
    • The way that the investment was originally structured is that she would not have access to the prinicple or profits for another 2 years (at a particular age).

My questions are:
    1. Can I pay the CGT on her behalf using her PPSN?
    2. If I can, can I transfer the money to my account, before paying the CG?
    3. Are there any tax liabilities for me doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭scheister

Clauric wrote: »
    I am looking for advice on how to pay tax on someone's behalf. Basically the situation is this:
    • My now adult daughter has some investments that were started before she was a minor (2 - 3 years ago).
    • I control the investments through the account being set up as a c/o account for a minor.
    • Recently the amount of book profit has increased to where it would be a good idea to take the profits (about 33%).
    • The profits, except the taxes, would be reinvested into another investment.
    • The profits would be subject to CGT, and there would be a 4 figure tax bill.
    • The way that the investment was originally structured is that she would not have access to the prinicple or profits for another 2 years (at a particular age).

My questions are:
    1. Can I pay the CGT on her behalf using her PPSN?
    2. If I can, can I transfer the money to my account, before paying the CG?
    3. Are there any tax liabilities for me doing this?

Few different questions here. As a result i will talk at a high level but you should speak to a tax professional.

You can gift her the money to pay the tax bill. This would be a separate transaction to the investments above and i would treat them as this. Be careful that any trasnfers could not be seen as a gift from her to you.

Advertisement