Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from Pi Hut post Brexit

Options
  • 05-01-2021 12:14am

Before anyone starts I have read the posts here. I just want to check if I'm correct. I want to buy a Pi 400 from the pihut. Got through to checkout and the total is £98.90 and £17.17 of that is taxes.

So am I correct that since the amount is less than €150 (£99 stg is around €110) and they've already included taxes appropriate for my address (I checked with a UK postcode and the taxes were slightly less) that is all I will pay?

Do I understand things correctly or will I get a nasty surprise after paying my €110 and the delivery man comes later?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭corkie

Registered for VAT in Ireland.

https://thepihut.com/pages/company-info

So if they are charging Irish/EU Vat there shouldn't be any additional surprise duties on delivery here. But your best bet is to clarify with the site beforehand.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

21% VAT so sounds like you're safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

Before anyone starts I have read the posts here. I just want to check if I'm correct. I want to buy a Pi 400 from the pihut. Got through to checkout and the total is £98.90 and £17.17 of that is taxes.

So am I correct that since the amount is less than €150 (£99 stg is around €110) and they've already included taxes appropriate for my address (I checked with a UK postcode and the taxes were slightly less) that is all I will pay?

Do I understand things correctly or will I get a nasty surprise after paying my €110 and the delivery man comes later?

Did you order and how did it go regarding any surprise fees & delivery time?

I am about to make an order (~€100) but unsure since Iv heard about problems with other companies post Brexit (e.g. Currys).

I ordered it on the 11th and it's "out for delivery" as of this morning. Guess I'll find out in the next few hours.

Cheers! Please give us an update when it arrives.

I might as well hang on till I hear of 1 success story, especially since there is a ~2 week delivery time anyway.

• Advertisement

It just arrived and there was no extra charge thankfully.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

I ordered for Pi Hut on the 18th, dispatched on the 19th, delivered today by An Post, so a 9 day turnaround isn't too bad, all things considered

I've noticed things are picking up again. There was about a week there where none of my orders were showing any movement. Much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Legit_ie

Good to know there are no extra charges being applied. Have ordered from them in the past and delivery was always very quick .

My friend just got hit with custom duties this morning from them.

They done a ninja change & removed the Ireland VAT number from the company info page: https://thepihut.com/pages/company-info.

This is now on the delivery page: https://thepihut.com/pages/delivery
    DAP (Duties At Place) – International Orders
    All orders sent outside of the UK are shipped on a DAP (Duties At Place) basis and may be subject to local customs import duty which is charged on the value of the purchase. Payment of these fees is the sole responsibility of the customer.

I was lucky and got my order on Tuesday with no duties (the shipment went through Germany).

Hopefully they revert this but they are worth avoiding for now.

Edit: Here is an old cached page with the VAT numbers (Ireland is: IE3480485OH): https://web.archive.org/web/20200711173623/https://thepihut.com/pages/company-info

• Advertisement

Just a follow-up. They are refunding him the UK VAT. Anyone else in similar position should request the same.

They are in the process of updating their site to fix the issue so that UK VAT doesn't getting applied to orders shipping outside the UK.

Therefore, the real extra cost now is the €10 processing fee for customs by DHL.

In future, when you are comparing prices to other online shops you will need to factor in the shipping fee from them of around £5-10, then the customs processing fee €10 & also the extra hassle/delay of paying the customs.

Not worth it for small/medium orders in my opinion unless the total (including shipping) is under the duty free €22 limit (which is only valid until 1/7/21).

Does that mean I can claim back the VAT I paid at checkout on the four orders I made since Brexit? I ordered the Pi 400 (£104), assorted stuff (£93) and two separate orders that were less than €22 each. All of which I paid VAT at checkout.

Does that mean I can claim back the VAT I paid at checkout on the four orders I made since Brexit? I ordered the Pi 400 (£104), assorted stuff (£93) and two separate orders that were less than €22 each. All of which I paid VAT at checkout.

They were VAT registered in Ireland so I'm not sure if they processed previous orders with that until this week.

You could send them a message asking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Was going to order one and can't find any info about, will I have to pay an extra €10?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Dam really wished I had seen this thread before I ordered.

Wondering how long a simple POE+ hat would take to get to me and its been 6 working days. Im assuming stuck in customs, dam.

Advertisement