Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hap / local authority house -

Options
  • 24-02-2021 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

My friend lives in west meath- has an apartment bought with money settlement from divorce- owned outright - no mortgage -
    Not overly happy there -
    If it was sold off - there would be funds of around 120 k in the bank account - which wouldn’t buy a house or apartment in the area liked - Meath -

Thinking about seeking a council / local authority house - or perhaps rent in the area required where interests and friends are - prior divorced-

While not homeless - on about 27 k a year work wise - is there any possibly of moving to the area required with the assistance of HAP / local authority housing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Immaculata

HAP and being eligible for the social housing list is for people who have a housing need. Your friend doesn't have a need for housing, as he owns a residential property. So, the short answer is: no.

I suppose he could check with the housing department in the council in the area he wants to live in and see if he would be eligible if he sold his existing property, hypothetically. Personally I don't think it's a runner, but I'm no expert.

Possibly the quickest route to what he wants is to see if he can rent out his existing property and move to rented accommodation in the area he wishes to dwell, using the rental income he receives to pay for his own rent. He'd want to do a fair bit of research into the rental market in both locations first, and run the numbers to see if it's feasible.

Alternatively he could contact a credit union, building society, or bank and see if he sells the existing property, with that money in hand, what would his position be in terms of getting a mortgage to buy a property in the desired location. At least as he would be selling his primary residence to buy a replacement primary residence, he shouldn't be liable for capital gains.

Advertisement