Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming Tax Relief for E-Working

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    I read somewhere the bills had to be in your name to claim? surely that's not right? what if you're sharing an apt or for a couple sharing the bills would only be in one persons name? anyone have clarity on this?

I presume linked to your address. All the bills are in my partner's name as they needed a bill for something back when we signed up. I can't see that being an issue unless your audited, and if you are, a simple note saying that you and Mr. David Anonymous are flatmates should be all you need. Only issue it might raise is if both of you try and claim the whole 10%, so as long as your not breaking any rules you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If someone else's name is on the bill the most you can realisticly claim is 50% of the bill.

The amount you can claim has to be the amount you personally paid. You must have given the named person on the bill the money to pay specifically for this and you can be asked to prove that you have given them the amount you are claiming.

Revenue aren't going to believe someone else's name is on the bill but you paid more than half.

Personally I can't see them giving a sh1t unless it's suspicious. Our house bills are in my partner's name but paid out of my account because they needed the bills in their name for some stupid prove where you live thing. If Revenue dispute it, I can send them my bank statement to show them it came out of my account.

In fact, and someone can clarify, I think example 2 clarifies this with an example of a house share, this would be no different to a couple living together and one is a stay at home parent and the working parent happens to pay the bill in its entirety, even if it isn't in their name.

Long story short, if you pay the entire bill, then you can claim the entire bill. Once you can access the bills, provide them and make a statement explaining the portion you pay, then I think you are absolutely fine.

It also just occurred to me the broadband is in my daughter's name, she has moved out but we haven't changed the name, just the linked payment account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

CramCycle wrote: »
    Personally I can't see them giving a sh1t unless it's suspicious. Our house bills are in my partner's name but paid out of my account because they needed the bills in their name for some stupid prove where you live thing. If Revenue dispute it, I can send them my bank statement to show them it came out of my account.

In fact, and someone can clarify, I think example 2 clarifies this with an example of a house share, this would be no different to a couple living together and one is a stay at home parent and the working parent happens to pay the bill in its entirety, even if it isn't in their name.

Long story short, if you pay the entire bill, then you can claim the entire bill. Once you can access the bills, provide them and make a statement explaining the portion you pay, then I think you are absolutely fine.

It also just occurred to me the broadband is in my daughter's name, she has moved out but we haven't changed the name, just the linked payment account.

Yeah if the money is coming out of your account directly you probably could make a case for it.

Revenue do random checks and there are fines for getting it wrong. And getting it wrong guarantees it will be checked on you every year in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

GarIT wrote: »
    It actually doesn't work like that luckily I guess. If the heating is off the house still cools during the day. So when she returns it has to heat longer to reach the acceptable temperature than it would if it was already warm and just keeping it warm.

Nope, you need to check your physics again. Houses leak heat so it doesnt work the way you have explained.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Is this article accurate in thst you have to submit copies of bills for such a ****ty amount?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0115/1189904-explainer-how-to-claim-work-from-home-tax-relief/

Seemingly only 5% of employers are paying the daily amount......not my multi national employer anyway:(

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0115/1189904-explainer-how-to-claim-work-from-home-tax-relief/

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Is this article accurate in thst you have to submit copies of bills for such a ****ty amount?

Seemingly only 5% of employers are paying the daily amount......not my multi national employer anyway:(

You don't have to but you'll need them if they select your application for review.

I spent roughly €1400 on allowable bills during the time I was working from home and ended up getting €22 back. It was a lot of work for little return. Not sure I would have bothered if I had known it was going to be so little.

Got mine today without submitting anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

If you upload your bills, then you no longer have to retain copies of them yourself. If you don't, you'll have to keep copies of all of the relevant bills for six years yourself, and if you get audited and can't produce them, you're going to be in some hot water.

Note that most providers only give access to bills for the last year or two, so if you're signed up for paperless billing, make sure you download copies of your bills (and make backups of said copies); don't expect to be able to just log in and obtain copies of them from your provider (at least not without a lot of hassle and likely some expense in admin fees) if Revenue come knocking in 2024...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

A (possibly stupid) question on this tax relief - can you claim the amount for heating/electricity for all of 2020 even if the direct debit for Nov-Dec is due this month? Or is it only on amounts paid in 2020?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

A (possibly stupid) question on this tax relief - can you claim the amount for heating/electricity for all of 2020 even if the direct debit for Nov-Dec is due this month? Or is it only on amounts paid in 2020?

I just counted the 6 bills including the latest one that ran into January.
    I suppose you could apportion last Christmas's bill,and also do the same with this Christmas's bill,but the result will probably be near enough the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Got mine today without submitting anything

So the article is wrong, like most tax stuff you only need receipts if you get audited.

Sounds like peanuts too :( Shane my employer isbf giving us the €3.20 per day directly...oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

WFH since the start of all this

So got my Gas, Electricity and Broadband bills from the suppliers as company not paying the daily rate

So totalled these up and logged into Revenue and inserted the figures and got a tax deduction of a massive €100 then got my P 21 Balancing statement PAYE/USC statement of liability for the tax year.

I did not upload the utility bill statements

So net amount is €40 just the price of half of my BB bill:confused:

So wonder if Leaky Leo & Paschal will bring something better in for those WFH to make it worthwhile:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Fireball81 wrote: »
    So the article is wrong, like most tax stuff you only need receipts if you get audited.

Sounds like peanuts too :( Shane my employer isbf giving us the €3.20 per day directly...oh well.

someone is telling me that if your employer is not giving you the 3.20 per day, that you can claim the % of your bills plus the 3.20 per day.

i've not looked at it at all yet, but it doesn't sound correct to me.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Seve OB wrote: »
    someone is telling me that if your employer is not giving you the 3.20 per day, that you can claim the % of your bills plus the 3.20 per day.

You're right, it isn't correct. If your employer isn't giving you the €3.20 you claim a percentage of your allowable bills.

Seve OB wrote: »

Alas wrong, from their website:
    If you are an eWorker, your employer may pay you up to €3.20 per day without deducting:

blah blah blah

Your additional costs might be higher than €3.20. Your employer may pay these higher costs. Any amount more than €3.20 per day paid by your employer will be taxed.

Tax relief claimed by you
    If your employer does not make this payment you can claim for allowable costs, these are:

Blah blah blah

So you can claim yourself if you are not paid it, and you can't if you are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've apportioned the elements of the bills that crossed the year boundary. I think my broadband is mid-month too but its a fixed price so just 12x works out the same anyway

Still works out as a pittance

For my half of the bills working a whole sixteen days at home (essential worker, so the 'work from home when you can work from home' was even lucky to amount to that!) its basically a rounding error; for my partner with 150 or so days its just about worth it

Alas wrong, from their website:

So you can claim yourself if you are not paid it, and you can't if you are.

do you have a link to that please

@Seve OB 3rd post has the link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Does anyone know if this is like other tax credits than can be claimed back 4 years if someone worked from home before the pandemic? Or is it a new relief in 2020 only?

Also, my tv and broadband come as a package, so one price in total for both. No idea how I should break those down? 50/50? Or any one else come up against that?

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »

Also, my tv and broadband come as a package, so one price in total for both. No idea how I should break those down? 50/50? Or any one else come up against that?

Your provider should be able to give you the breakdown, it should also be in your (probably online) bill.

Your provider should be able to give you the breakdown, it should also be in your (probably online) bill.

No, this is the line on the online bill, and it’s just one total charge for the full bill amount

“Your bundle includes World Unlimited Talk + Home Phone + Limitless 500Mb + UPC Digital“

No, this is the line on the online bill, and it’s just one total charge for the full bill amount

“Your bundle includes World Unlimited Talk + Home Phone + Limitless 500Mb + UPC Digital“

Odd - Our virgin one has a breakdown, give them a call.

Your BB is probably 60-70% of your bill (home phone is normally free or close to it).

Does anyone know if this is like other tax credits than can be claimed back 4 years if someone worked from home before the pandemic? Or is it a new relief in 2020 only?
    The tax relief is specifically for home workign due to the pandemic, so you can't claim for anytime before lockdown eg 2019, 18 etc. but you can claim in 2023, for 2020, if you forgot to claim it this year.

Just put it altogether, believe me the amount will be minimal regardless. Worse case scenario, they audit you and say that you owe them back a tenner. I can't see them disputing it for what will turn out in most cases to be no more than one hours work at minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

?

Remote working relief is the new name for the tax relief from the tax year 2020 onwards. The relief existed for years called the e working relief. For 2017, 2018 and 2019 it's claimed via the other expenses option on the tax returns for those years.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/how-to-claim.aspx

Remote working relief is the new name for the tax relief from the tax year 2020 onwards. The relief existed for years called the e working relief. For 2017, 2018 and 2019 it's claimed via the other expenses option on the tax returns for those years.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/how-to-claim.aspx

Great, thank you! A few years worth might make the claims a bit more worthwhile to make. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Great, thank you! A few years worth might make the claims a bit more worthwhile to make. Thanks.

Just to note a letter from your employer may be requested to confirm you were an E-Worker in those years.

Another question on this tax relief. I am jointly assessed with my husband. I work part time (every day from home 5 days a week), and he works full time but less days from home. I pay 20% on my income because it is low and he would be on 40%.

If we claim the relief will it go off the higher of our tax rates, or does that depend on who claims it? Just wondering if it’s worth working out who WFH more vs the 20/40% tax or if it’ll automatically be worked out by revenue and applied to whichever person it’s better for?

Another question on this tax relief. I am jointly assessed with my husband. I work part time (every day from home 5 days a week), and he works full time but less days from home. I pay 20% on my income because it is low and he would be on 40%.

If we claim the relief will it go off the higher of our tax rates, or does that depend on who claims it? Just wondering if it’s worth working out who WFH more vs the 20/40% tax or if it’ll automatically be worked out by revenue and applied to whichever person it’s better for?

You are jointly assessed so ultimately makes no difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Quick question my landline and broadband is 45 euro per month and currently pay 40 as I am on a discount. My bill doesn't split the bundle out it just Vodafone Home PTSN Bundle.

Now broadband is approx. 30 and landline 10 if I was to do the split as I vaguely remember it when we did the contract a few years ago.

I assume I shouldn't put the bill at 40 when claiming off Revenue?

Advertisement