Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAT on gift from a parent

• 16-12-2020 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Just wondering, what is the limit a parent is allowed gift to a child, in a calendar year after which any sort of tax needs to be paid on that by the child?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Just wondering, what is the limit a parent is allowed gift to a child, in a calendar year after which any sort of tax needs to be paid on that by the child?

If there have been no previous gifts since 5 December 1991, €335,000 plus small gift allowance of €3,000 - so €338,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chimneypot20

What is small gift allowance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

What is small gift allowance?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/documents/cat-treatment-receipts-by-children.pdf covers it pretty well, but in short any parent can gift €3,000 each year to a child without any liability arising for CAT/

The €335,000 referred to by the previous poster is the lifetime tax free threshold, so were a parent to gift €338,000 in a year, then the child could only receive €3,000 per annum (under the same gift allowance) from then on without a liability arising.

Cool got it. So €3,000 per year from each parent. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

Is that €338,000 a lifetime thing though? Once you gift it, when the parent passes on the CAT relief is already used up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Bobby1984

Is that €338,000 a lifetime thing though? Once you gift it, when the parent passes on the CAT relief is already used up?

€335k is a lifetime threshold. There is an additional €3k exemption per year from each parent

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Maximus47

both parents can gift 3000 being annual exemption of 6000.

this 3000 can be gifted even to a non relative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

FYI, it doesnt have to be from a parent to a child.

Full details here...

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/cat-exemptions/small-gift-exemption/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Maximus47

No - it can be given to a stranger.

Likewise when claiming medical expenses if you pay for a non relative or indeed for a relative you can claim the relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭wildwillow

The €3000 can be given to anyone and there is no limit on how many you can receive it from. Just be careful that you keep the payments a full calendar year apart. Pick a birthday or Christmas so you give on the same date each year.

It is a great way of giving to children and grandchildren, if you can afford it, and your estate is likely to exceed the limits. Especially useful if there is only one or two children.

• Advertisement

Just to be sure Im understanding when you say "keep payments a full calendar year apart". Does that mean you could receive a gift in December and then in January you could receive another gift, granted that the gift in January is the only gift you will receive that year? Both gifts in this case would be in different years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,641 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Correct.

The 3000 small gift exemption applies per year, per giver. So, you could receive 3000 from John in December 2020 and again in January 2021. Both are exempt.

Sorry, I misread the article in Irish Times Nov 24 last, where it was suggestd to pick a certain day each year. It is a very comprehensive article.
    One point to remember is that if both parents are gifting a child in the same year, each must have their own account. In other words they shouldn't use a joint account as then it can't be proved that each parent contributed just €3000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyKq

wildwillow wrote: »
    Sorry, I misread the article in Irish Times Nov 24 last, where it was suggestd to pick a certain day each year. It is a very comprehensive article.
    One point to remember is that if both parents are gifting a child in the same year, each must have their own account. In other words they shouldn't use a joint account as then it can't be proved that each parent contributed just €3000.

What if each parent wrote a cheque and signed it for 3000?

Don't know the answer to that.
    It seems the funds must come from the person gifting. How you prove that I'm not sure.

It is probably to prevent multiple transfers which are not genuinely funded by the person gifted, as in adult children gifting each other but the funds coming from the parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭monseiur

JohnnyKq wrote: »
    What if each parent wrote a cheque and signed it for 3000?
    Can be paid in cash too, preferably in brown envelope !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyKq

monseiur wrote: »
    Can be paid in cash too, preferably in brown envelope !

Sorry my folks are not TDs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Not sure how the joint account thing works in situations where one parent is the solitary earner. and they only have a joint bank account. I've never come across needing it to be paid from separate bank accounts - is this a common thing Revenue request?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 waterfordwendy

Sorry to dig this up again but my question seems relevant and it might also help others.

1. If my parents gift a site to me (Worth say €60,000) then I will not have to pay CAT as this is below the €335,000 threshold, is that correct? I will not be selling or building on the site, if I do, for at least 5 years.
    2. Will I have to pay stamp duty on the site that is gifted to me?
    3. And then should I receive an inheritance from my parents in the future (this will still be well below €335,000, including said value of the site) I will still not have to pay CAT?

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could answer that for me.

Thanks

As long as yu are under the threshold for the total amount you won't be liable for tax.

Once you reach a certain percentage you inform revenue you have received that amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 waterfordwendy

wildwillow wrote: »
    As long as yu are under the threshold for the total amount you won't be liable for tax.

Once you reach a certain percentage you inform revenue you have received that amount.

Thank you for your reply. Lastly, will I have to pay stamp duty on the site that is gifted to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thank you for your reply. Lastly, will I have to pay stamp duty on the site that is gifted to me?

Read this:

https://revenue.ie/en/property/stamp-duty/index.aspx

specifically, read this

https://revenue.ie/en/property/stamp-duty/gifts-and-inheritances/index.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Comer1

Finance hurts my head, so if I gave each of my children €30,000 for a deposit on a house in one lump sum, they do not have to pay any tax on that because it's below the €335,000 threshold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Correct, but to keep as much of the €335,000 threshold available for them in future, you and your spouse could give your children €3k each under the small gift exemption and this does not impact the €335k threshold. So that would be €6k tax free to each child. Then if the children have their own partners you could give those partners €3k from each of you and your spouse. So rather than €30k being taken off of their €335k threshold, only €18k would be deemed as the gift, as €12k falls under the small gift exemption.

Better again, if the deposit can wait til the end of the year, you could do €12k at the end of December and €12k in early January 2023, so now €24k of the €30k is under the small gift exemption, leaving €6k to come off of their €335k CAT threshold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Comer1

Great advice, thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭ThreeGreens

"1. If my parents gift a site to me (Worth say €60,000) then I will not have to pay CAT as this is below the €335,000 threshold, is that correct? I will not be selling or building on the site, if I do, for at least 5 years."

Also be mindful of Capital Gains Tax.

Normally your parents would be subject to capital gains tax on the gifting of land (based on its market value). However there is an exemption for the gift of a site to a child (assuming it's less than 1 acre and valued at less than €500K).

However if you don't build and occupy the house, then you could be liable for the CGT that they would have been liable for (if they weren't exempt) when you sell it.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/cgt-reliefs/transfer-of-a-site-from-a-parent-to-a-child.aspx

Advertisement