Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pup tax hit 2021

Options
  • 13-02-2021 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Am I right in thinking:

Person on pup for one year €350 gets employment after 1 year, pays back €70 per week tax for one year

Meaning even at the heavy tax hit you will still get more than typical job seekers payment which is 200 per week, you really only get €280 on pup considering you owe back €70 per week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Am I right in thinking:

Person on pup for one year €350 gets employment after 1 year, pays back €70 per week tax for one year

Meaning even at the heavy tax hit you will still get more than typical job seekers payment which is 200 per week, you really only get €280 on pup considering you owe back €70 per week

Everyone gets €3,300 in tax credits annually, so if a person is on the PUP throughout 2021 they'll owe €340 in tax (assuming that is their only income).

350 x 52 = 18,200

18,200 x 20% = 3,640

3,640 - 3,300 = 340

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Am I right in thinking:

No.

350 by 52 weeks is 18200 euro in total for the year. That's below the single persons standard rate band so all of it is taxable at 20% which is 3640 euro. You then deduct the standard credits a single person would have of 1650 Personal credit and 1650 PAYE credit to give a total of 340 euro due for the whole year of PUP. 340 over 52 weeks is €6.50 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭CandyButcher

No.

350 by 52 weeks is 18200 euro in total for the year. That's below the single persons standard rate band so all of it is taxable at 20% which is 3640 euro. You then deduct the standard credits a single person would have of 1650 Personal credit and 1650 PAYE credit to give a total of 340 euro due for the whole year of PUP. 340 over 52 weeks is €6.50 per week.

Thanks for the explanation. Thats not as bad as the newspaper’s are making out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yes a little hysteria created by the way it's being reported, those particular on lower rates, €300, €250 & €203 have little to worry about and liability will be miniscule.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No.

But how many will actually be on pup for the whole year.

The hit will come when people get jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

But how many will actually be on pup for the whole year.

The hit will come when people get jobs.

It's income which like any other welfare payment is taxable, no matter what PUP is a better option than 203 per week on standard social welfare which is also taxable.

The hysteria around this is idiotic

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

They do say that Weston in the Indo has been known to get something right years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Do you get the PAYE credit if you are on pup all year
    I thought you had to be paid once as a paye worker to get it and then there are still issues.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    I thought you had to be paid once as a paye worker to get it and then there are still issues.

The PUP is treated like employment income and attracts the PAYE credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

You beat me to it, I thought you only get the paye tax credit if you actually have a job and are been paid a salary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

duffman13 wrote: »
    It's income which like any other welfare payment is taxable, no matter what PUP is a better option than 203 per week on standard social welfare which is also taxable.

The hysteria around this is idiotic

The hysteria is that people in 2020 who lost decent jobs would be hit for the full whack in Jan 2021. At this stage, now in a new tax year, there's less impact.

Will Yam wrote: »
    The PUP is treated like employment income and attracts the PAYE credit.
    Well then the papers are sh1t stirring idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭CandyButcher

I also read the deadline for this payment is March 2021,

Does this mean if you like me and just got the bullet in work... I will only receive this now for one month???

Its a pandemic payment.. we are still going to be in the thick of pandemic lockdown nowhere open in march

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I also read the deadline for this payment is March 2021,

Does this mean if you like me and just got the bullet in work... I will only receive this now for one month???

Its a pandemic payment.. we are still going to be in the thick of pandemic lockdown nowhere open in march

Deadline 31 March currently, still open for new applications if let go.

If gov extend lockdown beyond 31 March I would expect PUP to be extended too but up to the gov.

Well then the papers are sh1t stirring idiots

I’m surprised it took this headline for you to figure that out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Driver1980

Hi I have a question there. I got my tax cert on the revenue.ie. And it's a bit wierd for me. I know they charge the PUP payment at source every week using your tax credit. But why on this picture my tax credit is already deducted as the whole year? and only 180 left.

Same goes for the tax rate bands. If I come back to work lets say in march-april, my tax credit and rate band will be re-calculated?

thanks

taxcert.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Driver1980 wrote: »
    Hi I have a question there. I got my tax cert on the revenue.ie. And it's a bit wierd for me. I know they charge the PUP payment at source every week using your tax credit. But why on this picture my tax credit is already deducted as the whole year? and only 180 left.

Same goes for the tax rate bands. If I come back to work lets say in march-april, my tax credit and rate band will be re-calculated?

thanks

taxcert.png

To tax they need to reduce both band and credit.

15600 income @ 20% = 3120 used in tax credits for year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

thanks

taxcert.png
    Yes,the way revenue is calculating your pup liability is by assuming you'll be on it for the whole tax year .You would then have used up all your tax credits on pup payments.(more or less depending on pup amount)
    When you get a job during the year,this will be recalculated so that the tax credits and tax bands remaining will be reallocated to your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Driver1980

Thank you for the answers.

I see, I won't owe any tax on PUP as my weekly tax credit covers it, but I see every payment reduces my tax credit weekly so the later we come back to work this year, the smaller the tax credit will be, therefore more tax to pay when working. Am I right?

So even people on reduced rate of PUP will still be hit by tax when they return to work. Not the PUP tax they owe but the very small amount of tax credit left.

Hopefully the country will be back to normal soon.

Will Yam wrote: »
    I’m surprised it took this headline for you to figure that out!!

Who reads papers its like two years after blade runner killed dolf lungren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Thank you for the answers.

I see, I won't owe any tax on PUP as my weekly tax credit covers it, but I see every payment reduces my tax credit weekly so the later we come back to work this year, the smaller the tax credit will be, therefore more tax to pay when working. Am I right?

So even people on reduced rate of PUP will still be hit by tax when they return to work. Not the PUP tax they owe but the very small amount of tax credit left.

Hopefully the country will be back to normal soon.

It's exactly the same as being paid 350 a week in one job,then later in the year moving on to another better paying job.If you're on pup for 20 weeks at 350 a week,then you'll still have 32 weeks of tax credit left for the new job.Theres no 'hit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

my partner was on pup since January 8th to march 31st

and is on 35k anually

but her first payslip she was €140 down than normal

any idea how much she will have to payback ? also €140 seems way to much for 1 week to take

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Check your tax credit certificate and see if the deduction for PUP matches what was received

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Check your tax credit certificate and see if the deduction for PUP matches what was received

she got her new tax cert dated april 7th , and everythings the same as 2020

so will she get paid normal this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

she got her new tax cert dated april 7th , and everythings the same as 2020

so will she get paid normal this week ?
    So there's no deduction from credits or rate band for the PUP?

Advertisement