Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SmartWatch for Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Lads, i'm having bother with my Garmin Approach x40.

Multiple times in a round, the front middle back of green numbers are off.

One example was last night, back of green showing 109, flag is in centre and laser shows 115 to flag. Around 25 yards out which is obviously more than what Garmin should be.

Any ideas on how to resolve?
    I'd first check that the units are the same (although the discrepancy seems to big for that). I'd next try and get somebody else with another Garmin watch to check against. If you're getting the same readings, it could be a fault with the course database. It should certainly eliminate the possibility that your unit is faulty. Also check to see if your software is up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

bamayang wrote: »
    Have shot scope. Cost about 110 for watch and club tags. Plug little plastic tag into the end of the grip of the club. The watch then picks up the distance youve hit it and the club used. So when you go online afterwards you can see distance of each club, average, which side you miss on etc. Its very accurate.
    During actual play you have front middle and back of green yardage showing at all times. As soon as you start walking away from a green it knows to move onto the distance to the next hole. The putting tracking isnt great, but otherwise very good piece of kit for small money.

Interested to know where you got it for that price if you don't mind? Their US site?

Hate seeing currency discrepancies online. Their US store has it for $119 and the EUR €169 ($190)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Have a look at something like a Vivoactive. The current model is 4 - i have the 3 - Its a sports watch rather than a spcific golf watch so it tracks runs, walks, cycles, seimming as well as golf. Its very accurate for golf, you can move pin around the green on it for more accuracy if you want. It gives you distances to hazards, doglegs and layups as well. Tracks scores and shots as well.

You get a map after each round of all your shots amd distances. It will be 90% correct and you can edit the round after if you want and include what clubs etc. I dont bother editing anything after but it's interesting to look at none the less.

I bought it for golf only and very happy with it. However since the pandemic started ive taken up running and cycling as well out of boredom so I've been tracking everything on it now. Makes you very competitive with yourself trying to beat distances and times every time I go out!!

The 4 is the latest model but the 3 is now fantastic value for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bamayang

PARlance wrote: »
    Interested to know where you got it for that price if you don't mind? Their US site?

Hate seeing currency discrepancies online. Their US store has it for $119 and the EUR €169 ($190)

Bought it on adverts...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The more I look into these I really want the Garmin Approach S62 it looks absolutely quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 stableford

I got a new Shot Scope V2 over the weekend and adding courses through an iphone. When I go to Sync then there are no courses to Sync even though says they have been added. Anyone experience this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

redzerdrog wrote: »
    The more I look into these I really want the Garmin Approach S62 it looks absolutely quality.

It is class and a complete all rounder - looks nice on too..

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

The S62 is savage, had it a couple of weeks now and it's awesome, yes it's expensive but you'll get your money's worth with all the features, had a golf Buddy WTX watch before which was the biggest pile of ****e ever but this thing is on another level

Been looking around for the best price and hoping Garmin or one of the golf shops have a discount code or something.

Garmin Ireland have the watch and ct10 starter pack for €615
    Garmin US have the same bundle for $499 and I have a relative over there who could get it and post it only problem is the delivery their side is 6 - 8 weeks

Have either of you got the sensors for your putter/wedges? Are they needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Have either of you got the sensors for your putter/wedges? Are they needed?

I have the S60 and invested in the 3 pack sensors so that i could track short game performance (as if i didn't already know that i was rubbish!)....basically the watch will know when you've pulled out the club the sensor is fixed to and record the shot. I assume the sensor is significantly more sensitive than the watch so picks up the delicate shots. It'll give you feedback on your up and downs etc....it will also record your putting stats in terms of short, medium and long putts....i.e. % 1,2 and 3 putts.....i find this interesting enough as its showing that i'm more likely to 3 putt from the medium range (10 to 20 ft) than longer which suggests i'm too aggressive when i think i have a chance....it doesnt seem to log the distances of putts more the range so i assume it does this by tracking how hard you hit the putt....

I think the sensors are good to have but not essential...you'll think you're missing out without them as you won't get any performance stats on chipping and putting in the app without them but really, the stats they give will probably be nothing you didn't already know....

They're probably a good idea if you can get them at a good price as part of a bundle......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Hoboo wrote: »
    Don't buy yet, V3 is being released in a few weeks and it's much smaller. I have one ordered in the members presale, being delivered from June 10th. I'll post some pics and review when I get it.

Any update on this? I cant find details on the V3 and what it looks like anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭finglashoop

etxp wrote: »
    Any update on this? I cant find details on the V3 and what it looks like anywhere.

Its smaller and neater looking than the v2. Not sure when it is on general sale but when it is i will be picking one up. Ive only bought the v2 but will be upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    I have the S60 and invested in the 3 pack sensors so that i could track short game performance (as if i didn't already know that i was rubbish!)....basically the watch will know when you've pulled out the club the sensor is fixed to and record the shot. I assume the sensor is significantly more sensitive than the watch so picks up the delicate shots. It'll give you feedback on your up and downs etc....it will also record your putting stats in terms of short, medium and long putts....i.e. % 1,2 and 3 putts.....i find this interesting enough as its showing that i'm more likely to 3 putt from the medium range (10 to 20 ft) than longer which suggests i'm too aggressive when i think i have a chance....it doesnt seem to log the distances of putts more the range so i assume it does this by tracking how hard you hit the putt....

I think the sensors are good to have but not essential...you'll think you're missing out without them as you won't get any performance stats on chipping and putting in the app without them but really, the stats they give will probably be nothing you didn't already know....

They're probably a good idea if you can get them at a good price as part of a bundle......

I have the S60 as well and been thinking of getting the 3 pack. Do you use 1 on your putter and then other 2 on wedges that you'd use around the green?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I'd recommend the shotscope if you want the added benefits of all the data it gives.

I had considered the shotscope but the V2 watch was just far too big. The v3 did appeal but overall with the Garmin Approach S62 doubling up as an every day smart watch has sold it for me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Shot Scope v3 is due on to the public on July 6th anyway, but if you bought v2 you can get it now from their site for €179.99.
    I had considered the shotscope but the V2 watch was just far too big. The v3 did appeal but overall with the Garmin Approach S62 doubling up as an every day smart watch has sold it for me
    That would be a big plus for me as well, as it's a nice looking watch but damn...it's not cheap. Not sure i'd get away with spending that much on a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭willabur

I've used the vivoactive 4s for the last month or so. I wanted an all rounder that tracked health with some running and was curious about the golf features.

On the course it does a decent job at the basics. It's fine, not amazing. I know my course very well so 95 % of the time all I need is a number.

Post round I find the Garmin golf app very basic. I've used game golf in the past and it is much better from a stat analysis point of view.

Arccos looks like a good alternative. Does anyone use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,844 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

willabur wrote: »
    I've used the vivoactive 4s for the last month or so. I wanted an all rounder that tracked health with some running and was curious about the golf features.

On the course it does a decent job at the basics. It's fine, not amazing. I know my course very well so 95 % of the time all I need is a number.

Post round I find the Garmin golf app very basic. I've used game golf in the past and it is much better from a stat analysis point of view.

Arccos looks like a good alternative. Does anyone use it?

agree with all that.

i must dig out my game golf again

I liked Game Golf, but got rid of it for Shot Scope simply so i didn't have to tag my clubs each shot. I was constantly forgetting to do it. You'd build up the habit once you stick with it, but i have enough things i need to try and remember with my swing without adding another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Kiith wrote: »
    I liked Game Golf, but got rid of it for Shot Scope simply so i didn't have to tag my clubs each shot. I was constantly forgetting to do it. You'd build up the habit once you stick with it, but i have enough things i need to try and remember with my swing without adding another.

Definitely becomes a habit alright once you get into the routine. It's almost part of my pre shot address at this point. At this point I even do it over the winter when I'm not using GG at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I have the S60 as well and been thinking of getting the 3 pack. Do you use 1 on your putter and then other 2 on wedges that you'd use around the green?

Exactly, one for the putter and then the other 2 for the wedges you are most likely to hit a delicate shot around the green with.....problem i find is that you need a putter grip that will allow you to screw the sensor in....i have a superstroke pistol 1.0 i think which has some kind of fixture that needs a bloody allen key to remove at the top of the grip so not sure what i'd do there if i was to stick it in the bag....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Last email was last Monday apologising for the delay, all watches would be posted by the 18th. Shouldn't be long, not sure where they're posted from though.

Website says official launch July 6th. Google shotscope v3 and click images, few pics and comparisons there.

Hope this is ok...v2 compared to v3.

V2toV3Compare_d.webp

V2andV3Front.webp

gallery3L.webp

that looks nice! Wonder will it retail at 180 if you don't have the V2?

I need a GPS watch, and want to start tracking my distances for clubs. I've given up on the running so not too bothered about fitness aspect anymore. I use GolfShot to track my scores but this would be better than that.

that looks nice! Wonder will it retail at 180 if you don't have the V2?

I need a GPS watch, and want to start tracking my distances for clubs. I've given up on the running so not too bothered about fitness aspect anymore. I use GolfShot to track my scores but this would be better than that. Cant justify the cost of the Garmin.

the discount was only users of v2 i think

Think its about 250

the discount was only users of v2 i think

Think its about 250

Suppose it would be worth it if it improves the game in the long run.

Yeah, €249 is the RRP for general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

V3 arrived. First impression was the size, it's tiny. And very neat. Strap has a double clasp so it's not budging, easy scrolling and sleek operation, very simple to set up on the app and plug the sensors in.

Inputting all your clubs was a bit of a pain, could be made easier by asking if your full set is the same brand etc, rather than enter each clubs details in full. Took maybe 7/8 minutes, nothing, just monotonous.

Played today, not looking forward to seeing some of the shots but I'll look for the good one first. Stats will be atrocious but a few that I hit perfectly can now give me my max distance.

Kept forgetting to stand by the pin to press the numbers of putts, just needs to become part of the routine........click watch/collect ball. There's an auto option but haven't read up on it yet. Was just following friends instructions on the course, and they have the v2.

Few of the yardages were out by a few yards sometimes vs the markers, and once I noticed it out by I reckon 30 yards. Going to send them an email anyhow, friends saying their customer support and updating courses is second to none.

Also there's no desktop app (yet I'd imagine) like V2 has lol, but once you upload your round to the app on your phone via Bluetooth, you get a url which brings you to your round (or something like that, haven't done it yet, and was reading last night)

It's only day one so still getting to grips with it but so far very happy. Maybe not so much when I see the stats.

Hoboo wrote: »
    V3 arrived. First impression was the size, it's tiny. And very neat. Strap has a double clasp so it's not budging, easy scrolling and sleek operation, very simple to set up on the app and plug the sensors in.

Inputting all your clubs was a bit of a pain, could be made easier by asking if your full set is the same brand etc, rather than enter each clubs details in full. Took maybe 7/8 minutes, nothing, just monotonous.

Played today, not looking forward to seeing some of the shots but I'll look for the good one first. Stats will be atrocious but a few that I hit perfectly can now give me my max distance.

Kept forgetting to stand by the pin to press the numbers of putts, just needs to become part of the routine........click watch/collect ball. There's an auto option but haven't read up on it yet. Was just following friends instructions on the course, and they have the v2.

Few of the yardages were out by a few yards sometimes vs the markers, and once I noticed it out by I reckon 30 yards. Going to send them an email anyhow, friends saying their customer support and updating courses is second to none.

Also there's no desktop app (yet I'd imagine) like V2 has lol, but once you upload your round to the app on your phone via Bluetooth, you get a url which brings you to your round (or something like that, haven't done it yet, and was reading last night)

It's only day one so still getting to grips with it but so far very happy. Maybe not so much when I see the stats.

Auto putting is handy and you only have to click to tell the watch pin location.

Manual putting is for putters you cant screw the sensor in

• Advertisement

Arrived home this evening to a Birthday present from my GF on an Approach S62 with 3 sensors. Absolutely delighted with it so I am. Can’t wait to play in the morning now to test it out ☺️ Think she’s a keeper!!!

Advertisement