Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-10-2014, 23:22   #1
Digy123

Buying a Compound bow

Hey guys,I have really been thinking of getting into Archery with Compound bows recently. I'm based in Dublin,My main problem is im not too sure of any shops where I can buy a Compound bow,Where does everyone buy from? what should I look for? My family has a good bit of land where I could practice but I would also like to join a club sometime too
Any information would be great,thanks!
Advertisement
09-10-2014, 00:39   #2
greysides

I think your first step should be to find a local club and do a beginners course. Then they'll be able to help you on your way. It's one of those things that's not as easy as it looks and there's a huge safety element to absorb.
12-10-2014, 20:23   #3
andy_g
Thrown out of the realms of lunacy

TBH Digy learn on recurve to start out with work on your stance as this is a key point and from there, learn a style olympic, field or traditional archery.

Then decide after trying out a few bows what you have a feel for. Compound bows are either a love or hate kind of thing, personally im not a fan of the compound bow as im a traditional and instinctive archer.

Any help you know where to find me.
Thanks from:
13-10-2014, 13:00   #4
Midnight64

Join a club. Learn how to shoot safely. Compound bows can be lethal if not treated with the greatest of respect earned by experience. Most compound bow injuries are bourne by the archer and not by anything accidentally shot. I shoot traditional, recurve and compound. They all have their idiosyncrasies but compounds have an attitude.

If you don't believe me then just google!

In the meantime:http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forum...aphic-pix.html
14-10-2014, 07:28   #5
whitelightrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight64 View Post
Join a club. Learn how to shoot safely. Compound bows can be lethal if not treated with the greatest of respect earned by experience. Most compound bow injuries are bourne by the archer and not by anything accidentally shot. I shoot traditional, recurve and compound. They all have their idiosyncrasies but compounds have an attitude.

If you don't believe me then just google!

In the meantime:http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forum...aphic-pix.html
Holy crap. May just put me off compound bows seeing that
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-10-2014, 08:49   #6
Midnight64

That is why it is vital that you learn how to hold, maintain and shoot one correctly and safely. The same goes for other kinds of bows too even though they are much less aggressive. Essentially they are a ballistic weapon and deserve a great deal of respect.

Get on a beginners course, check out the AI website for your nearest club (or PM your location and I can send you the details). It is the most fun you can have with a couple of sticks and a piece of tight string!!
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion