Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deceased wealthy people estate values published in the newspapers

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

True. Its why i hate this pull yourself up lark...if you have nothing to begin with tis not likely.

Not everyone is designed around making money.

But you should aim to prosper, ambition is healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

yaknowski wrote: »
    Shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in 3 generations. Haughey's grandkids won't appreciate the hard work he out in to rob and con his way to the wealth.

Ah come on!!

Haughey didn't put hard work into robbing people!!

The likes of Cahill and Hutch did!!

Haughey just bullied people, not dissimilar to Delaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Haughey Senior was a crook and his children benefited mightily with no issues. That's OK so isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I ‘ll leave ye all something ~ ~ ~ debt ! !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

when i die i am leaving 100 euro total for drinks
    and a fur coat for my mistress
    my children will get nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I have a safe deposit box. I have left a ‘brown surprise’ for whoever gets their hands on the contents when I die.

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    when i die i am leaving 100 euro total for drinks
    and a fur coat for my mistress
    my children will get nothing
    Thanks , thats grand for myself !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The millions that the family inherited were from dodgy dealings, we all know that now.

But thankfully they keep a low profile and none of them are heading for FF office in a General Election.

Sickening when you think about it, but have to let it go now as nothing will come of being angry or disgusted anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The millions that the family inherited were from dodgy dealings, we all know that now.

But thankfully they keep a low profile and none of them are heading for FF office in a General Election.

Sickening when you think about it, but have to let it go now as nothing will come of being angry or disgusted anymore.

Eh... Seán Haughey (son of Charles) has been a TD for years....previously a Senator and Lord Mayor of Dublin.

Eh... Seán Haughey (son of Charles) has been a TD for years....previously a Senator and Lord Mayor of Dublin.

only loans

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/conor-haughey-s-inauspicious-business-venture-1.275634?mode=amp

• Advertisement

Haughey Senior was a crook and his children benefited mightily with no issues. That's OK so isn't it?

Fine by me tbh.

He actually wasn't technically a " crook " either.

There is no crime in receiving money off someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Fine by me tbh.

He actually wasn't technically a " crook " either.

There is no crime in receiving money off someone.

Are there not tax “implications”, I?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Are there not tax “implications”, I?

It depends Spice.

I mean if you gave me million quid for nothing... well yes I would have been entitled to pay 20% CAT ( mid 80's I think, 33% in the morning ).

But if I took it as shares in a chain of off site petrol stations or a retail unit set up specifically with an IDA grant or a feeder loan for a start up for An Bord Coillte , etc etc etc. Things change then.

I think you get where this argument is going? But technically there is no law against receiving money off someone, as long as you can prove where it came from and you have a trail of where it goes ( if anywhere ).

The statute of limitations takes care of the rest. So if you lodged money, in say Antigua, during the cricket world cup in 2007.... the Irish Rev cannot really do jack shít about it now, unless they commenced an investigation specifically before 2014.

They can tax you however, if you declare it to them and also if you chose to introduce it back into the state.

There are other scenarios, but it is touching one in the morning, I have other things on, I watched Tarzan earlier and I simply cannot get Margot Robbie out of my dangerous mind.

But Charlie was not officially a crook. Check his criminal record. He paid the Rev 6.5 million, that's a lot of money by anyone standards. Even his.

Finally ( and it gets later by the minute ), I find it a bit nauseating that posters are still cribbing about the actions of Haughey, 14 years later. I mean , it cannot be solved now and furthermore if you look around it still goes on. The cloaks have gotten warmer and the daggers have gotten sharper, that is all.

Peter Sutherland was worth and estimated £35 mill way back in 1999.

And a sh1tload more by the time he died.

Probably closer to 200 mill than 2

Trusts etc definitely in use in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

more lies and orchestrated dissent. like having a finger ur arse do ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

It depends Spice.

I mean if you gave me million quid for nothing... well yes I would have been entitled to pay 20% CAT ( mid 80's I think, 33% in the morning ).

But if I took it as shares in a chain of off site petrol stations or a retail unit set up specifically with an IDA grant or a feeder loan for a start up for An Bord Coillte , etc etc etc. Things change then.

I think you get where this argument is going? But technically there is no law against receiving money off someone, as long as you can prove where it came from and you have a trail of where it goes ( if anywhere ).

The statute of limitations takes care of the rest. So if you lodged money, in say Antigua, during the cricket world cup in 2007.... the Irish Rev cannot really do jack shít about it now, unless they commenced an investigation specifically before 2014.

They can tax you however, if you declare it to them and also if you chose to introduce it back into the state.

There are other scenarios, but it is touching one in the morning, I have other things on, I watched Tarzan earlier and I simply cannot get Margot Robbie out of my dangerous mind.

But Charlie was not officially a crook. Check his criminal record. He paid the Rev 6.5 million, that's a lot of money by anyone standards. Even his.

Finally ( and it gets later by the minute ), I find it a bit nauseating that posters are still cribbing about the actions of Haughey, 14 years later. I mean , it cannot be solved now and furthermore if you look around it still goes on. The cloaks have gotten warmer and the daggers have gotten sharper, that is all.

He was a crook who used the office he held to enrich himself. Anyone who can't see that is thick stupid. Simple as.

glasso wrote: »
    Peter Sutherland was worth and estimated £35 mill way back in 1999.

And a sh1tload more by the time he died.

Probably closer to 200 mill than 2

Trusts etc definitely in use in this case
    Not bad for Selling Your Country ! ! I suppose that why he did it !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The thing about Charlie haughty, looking at his circumstance an accountant and politician who ended up as Taoiseach, he married a well off a woman from a well off family, he never has a business of his own or another way of making money other than politics.

The trajectory of his life should have been a large house on the north side with its own grounds basically wealthy middle class, not the horses, not the yacht, instead of the island it would have been a holiday home in West Cork or Galway, not the Charvet shirts.

So therefore he acquired his lifestyle by deceit and that makes him a crook.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Shouldn't really be leaving anything substantial. Retire, spend it, enjoy it. No point holding it to give 40% or whatever it is to the govt...

• Advertisement

When I look at Charlie I can only look back in pure admiration.

The man was a visionary. He had all the great traits of leadership. He was brave. He was cunning. He put Ireland first. He created a future out of a bleak past. He was a goer and fighter, for both himself, his position and his country. How many senior politicians of today can compare themselves on the same pedastal?

I like my heroes duplicitous and canny. Firm and deliberate, strong and unparalleld.

His only dissenters now, hissing like washed up serpents, hungry and wasted and languished to the mercy of their means.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Shouldn't really be leaving anything substantial. Retire, spend it, enjoy it. No point holding it to give 40% or whatever it is to the govt...

It would be difficult to plan spending like that, as you don't know when you will die.

You may need savings to pay for LT care.

If you die, the Govt will get nothing from you. Impossible to pay tax if you are dead.

Yes, the beneficiaries of your estate may face CAT, but as the exemptions are wide, few children inheriting pay CAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

33% CAT, but only on over 335k approx, for parents to children.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

When I look at Charlie I can only look back in pure admiration.

The man was a visionary. He had all the great traits of leadership. He was brave. He was cunning. He put Ireland first. He created a future out of a bleak past. He was a goer and fighter, for both himself, his position and his country. How many senior politicians of today can compare themselves on the same pedastal?

I like my heroes duplicitous and canny. Firm and deliberate, strong and unparalleld.

His only dissenters now, hissing like washed up serpents, hungry and wasted and languished to the mercy of their means.

He was definitely a cute hoor who put himself first.

Little else except other than perhaps an underhand sleazy gob****e.

And thats leaving out most of it.

gozunda wrote: »
    He was definitely a cute hoor who put himself first.

Little else except other than perhaps an underhand sleazy gob****e.

And thats leaving out most of it.

The begrudgery just never ends.

The IFSC
    The Foreign investment
    The Adoption Act
    The Succession Act
    The Extradition Act
    The Farmers Strike :pac:
    Family Planning bill , and in fairness he stood up to the church.
    The Troubles - open to contentious debate, but he never gets beatings over his handling of the Brits either?
    The list goes on and on.

But haters are too quick to throw mud at a man who essentially stayed in power and its' corridors for half a century. The man is a legend, time will prove that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The begrudgery just never ends....

The man is a legend, time will prove that.

Lol. Look I get it you're a big fan. The rest remains exactly as how he'll go down in history - a cute hoor. Nothing more.

What about engendering a culture of cute-hoorism, government collusion with developers, bankers, bribes, facilitating complete lack of oversight etc which effectively played a fair part in a €120 billion national debt bill which we still have after the Ireland buying-and-selling-land-and-houses-to-each-other ponzi scheme collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I dont suppose I will have very much when I die as I fully intend to spend my money on enjoying our life while we can. I do not get the fascination at looking at well know peoples wills either.

I think i’ll rob a bank in my last days just to confuse everybody ~ ~ ~ what the hell was he doing that for ! ?

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    What about engendering a culture of cute-hoorism, government collusion with developers, bankers, bribes, facilitating complete lack of oversight etc which effectively played a fair part in a €120 billion national debt bill which we still have after the Ireland buying-and-selling-land-and-houses-to-each-other ponzi scheme collapsed.

Simply no.

The credit crunch was created by greedy New York bankers.

Nothing to do with CJ, get your facts right.

Everyone was chasing the bubble back then, he died in 2006 having fought cancer since 1996. Very unfair ( and shallow and narrow sighted) to throw stones at CJ over the credit crunch, shame on you. For the record, the credit crunch initiated and was realised after he died.

Also, it is extremely fickle ( and patronising )of you to blame the entire raison d'etre of both a political movement and a nations' financial policy, on one man....? I mean, are you complimenting him or chastising him?

Advertisement