Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting

Options
  • 15-05-2020 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hello, I’m just wondering what an acceptable reason for getting a semi automatic rifle would be? I was looking at an ar-15 style rifle chambered in 17 HMR for target shooting, but what would a superintendent be satisfied with that as a reason? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Hello, I’m just wondering what an acceptable reason for getting a semi automatic rifle would be? I was looking at an ar-15 style rifle chambered in 17 HMR for target shooting, but what would a superintendent be satisfied with that as a reason? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Your acceptable reason is the reason you actually want it for, if that is target shooting then bang it down. If its accepted happy days, they may look for more info or may refuse it.
    No point in putting down a reason just to get a particular type of firearm if that reason is not what you will be actually doing with it, it is then a fraudulent application and could land you in bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

solarwinds wrote: »
    Your acceptable reason is the reason you actually want it for, if that is target shooting then bang it down. If its accepted happy days, they may look for more info or may refuse it.
    No point in putting down a reason just to get a particular type of firearm if that reason is not what you will be actually doing with it, it is then a fraudulent application and could land you in bother.

Thanks for the reply, is it normal that the superintendent would grand a license for a semi auto or do you have to be very experienced in the world of firearms? I’m just thinking about getting into target shooting so I’m not sure whether to try get a semi auto or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Thanks for the reply, is it normal that the superintendent would grand a license for a semi auto or do you have to be very experienced in the world of firearms? I’m just thinking about getting into target shooting so I’m not sure whether to try get a semi auto or not.

There is no Gallery rifle target comps for .17hmr calibers, if you were considering entering gallery rifle comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Get a semi auto .22lr save yourself headaches and ammo prices ;)
    If its the rifle im thinking of itd be up on 2,500 by the time you get it in from the US :pac: which is mad money for a .17hmr

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭RS98

Hi, I'd highly recommend (when it's possible again of course) that you visit a range and see what it's all about and if any discipline takes your fancy. Most ranges would be happy to show you around if you give them a ring.

At that stage your choice of firearm becomes much narrower and your choice much easier.

This is the advice I was given starting out and it served me well.

Best of luck.

RS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭GooseB

If your reason for getting the gun is target shooting then you tick the box in section 4.2 of the FCA1 Firearm Certificate Application form where it says "Target shooting at Authorised range". If you choose this option then there are follow up details you will need about the club or range you are shooting at - Range Garda PULSE I.D number, membership number, contact details, etc.

The best thing you could do is follow the advice already given and go to a club and talk to the people there - most likely they'll be only too happy to talk to you and provide you with advice. Also, I'm shooting about 18 months and have never come across .17HMR target shooting, it's all .22LR. You can shoot .22LR semi-auto in certain disciplines although you may find it's not recommended if it's your first gun (unless for gallery shooting). Look up the NASRPC disciplines, Benchrest and Silhouette shooting. After that I believe you're into centrefire target shooting although I'm fully open to correction from more experienced people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

I put up some info on another not too dissimilar enquiry today.
    If you want an AR15 then get one, there are contrary to popular belief a small number of people in Ireland who shoot them for competition, and the number is growing.

A 35 round match in 223 isn't that expensive, with magtech 55g at about 30 euro for 50 cheaper than .17 HMR and for the price you would pay for a competition 10/22 well you can get an AR15 and shoot out to 200/300/600 yards, at a similar price.

PM me and I can send you some details if your interested and guide you through the process

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Get a semi auto .22lr save yourself headaches and ammo prices ;)
    If its the rifle im thinking of itd be up on 2,500 by the time you get it in from the US :pac: which is mad money for a .17hmr

The reason I was looking at that particular rifle is because they only make 10 round magazines for it. In the legislation it mentions a maximum capacity of 10 rounds for non restricted rifles, but is this enforced or are there some regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The reason I was looking at that particular rifle is because they only make 10 round magazines for it. In the legislation it mentions a maximum capacity of 10 rounds for non restricted rifles, but is this enforced or are there some regulations?

They make 10 round magazines for most semi-auto rifles nowadays. Even if the type of rifle you want is capable of taking a magazine that contains more than 10 rounds, as long as you don't have any of them, then you are fine.

An example is a Ruger 10/22. They have loads of different magazines, from 10 rounds up to drum magazines that can contain 100 rounds but that doens't mean that you can't licence the Ruger on a non-restricted licence. It just means that if you want to keep within the terms of your non-restricted licence, only buy the 10 round magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FWIW,those 17hmr ARs are still kinda freaky even in the US! Where if it becomes problematic,you can just pop off the upper and get your local gun plumber to work to sort it out,while you drop on another upper to go shooting.Bit difficult here as we dont relaay have many AR experts about either should things go wrong. It's an expensive round too for paper punching,if you were foxing or bunny basjhing it might be a more versatile round.
    If you were just doing paper punching,then go a .22 in whatever configuration you want.Heck,the UK is developing a .22 magnum AR style rifle for those who want some more oomph in a semi auto configuration.

As said,go to a few ranges,shoot a bunch of different rifles in different configs and then decide.If you go the full monty for a .223 AR, be prepared to join the big boys club,and you move into the realms of dealing with Cheif Supers,execeptional good reasons for owning one, and the possibility of having your liscense revoked at some point,in the future ,maybe,as they can be under a nasty bit of law signed ,but sofar not on the statue books in 2017,that declared all such liscenses issued post May[?]2017 as revoked.So you could lose out there...Or not..depending. So maybe have a lok at the UK design if you really have your heart set on an AR platform too?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement