Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for a car previously imported

Options
  • 16-09-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Potentially buying a 2015 car that was imported to Ireland 3 years ago. Its now registered in ireland and has had 1 owner in last 3 years.

Just wondering whether the fact that car has been imported in 2017 would this have a huge effect on my car insurance price?

Have full no claims bonus etc, currently have my 04 Nissan insured for €600.

Thanks a million in advance for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Where is it imported from? it really shouldn't. Back in the day they were more concerned with imports from the Jap imports side and Civic types coming in with mods on them etc. And higher spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

peteb2 wrote: »
    Where is it imported from? it really shouldn't. Back in the day they were more concerned with imports from the Jap imports side and Civic types coming in with mods on them etc. And higher spec.

Its a UK import. I know the insurer will ask the question "Is it an import"

Just like to know the difference in quote as to whether it is or isn't imported and if there is a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don’t think it makes a difference for a UK import now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Agreed with what Colm_Mcm says. Most second hand vehicles are coming from the UK anyway. Insurers dont have issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

My last car was an import from the UK and I did a few online insurance quotes comparing it with the same Irish cars for sale on donedeal (handy if you need a reg to compare) before i bought it. It didn't make a difference to the quotes I received.

Just make sure to do a history check before you buy as some companies wont touch UK cars with a history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

pawrick wrote: »
    My last car was an import from the UK and I did a few online insurance quotes comparing it with the same Irish cars for sale on donedeal (handy if you need a reg to compare) before i bought it. It didn't make a difference to the quotes I received.

Just make sure to do a history check before you buy as some companies wont touch UK cars with a history.

Can I ask the best resource to use for a proper history check?

The ad mentions a full history check anyway so just wondering if i'll need another? Buying from a dealer

Advertisement