Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Question

Options
  • 25-08-2020 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I have a garmin 735xt and it is an excellent watch for tri training. However, I find the accuracy with swimming is very poor. Sometimes it does not record distance on OW swims or the distance is inaccurate.
    Just wondering if someone here could advise re settings on the watch please?
    I see under GPS there are settings such as Glonass and UltrTrac. Would switching to these settings improve the watche's accuracy?
    Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

go to settings
    system
    data recording
    change it from smart to every second

see does that make a difference , watch wont pick up gps if your arm is under water , getting it to try to record every second increases the number of points it will get ,

ultra trac is supposedly very hard on battery , and i dont know how it applies to swimming anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Glonass won't make a huge difference, and Ultra tac would make it worse as that moves it to once a minute recording of GPS.

+/- 10 % for open water seems normal

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

woody1 wrote: »
    go to settings
    system
    data recording
    change it from smart to every second

see does that make a difference

Many thanks, have switched it to every second and will let you know how it goes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

I've seen it recommended to wear the watch between two swimming caps on your head, should get a constant signal that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

Been using a 735xt and I find it very accurate in open water. Have it set to GPS +glonass. Only issue i have with it now is buttons are sticking, it starts an activity randomly sometimes.

• Advertisement

unrelated to swimming but i have noticed that my old 310, the big lump of grey and orange plastic, is far more accurate running in the woods than either the 920 or the 735

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I've seen it recommended to wear the watch between two swimming caps on your head, should get a constant signal that way.

The old school way of doing it :)

Used to do that with Polar GPS when it was a pod before integration in the watches.

any luck ? how did you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

woody1 wrote: »
    any luck ? how did you get on

Thanks so much woody1, it is working perfectly. :D

Advertisement