Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling -

Options
  • 30-05-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

New to Triathlon this year and am really loving being back on the bike.

What would the experienced guys on here recommend the best way to improve bike performance would be? I've spoken to some guys/researched and the consistent advice is to 'get mileage under your belt'.

Also should I be looking at spending cash on clipless pedal/shoes or something like a garmin 520 to help monitor my stats?

Thanks
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Domo1982 wrote: »
    New to Triathlon this year and am really loving being back on the bike.

What would the experienced guys on here recommend the best way to improve bike performance would be? I've spoken to some guys/researched and the consistent advice is to 'get mileage under your belt'.

Also should I be looking at spending cash on clipless pedal/shoes or something like a garmin 520 to help monitor my stats?

Thanks
    D

Like the other type of riding - more is better.
    Also like the other type of riding - vary it up a bit, short and fast sometimes, long and slow others. Variety is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Time is also key. Building cycling fitness takes relatively much more time than running or swimming. But then it's usually 50%+ of your race time

Definitely variety as Tunney said. If you have loads of time then no worries. If time crunched make sure you have quality work in your sessions. Some hill repeats or big gear intervals.

Definitely go clipless. You will never look back. You can get a cheap cat eye computer to clock distance and time. That's about all the metrics you need to start.

Lastly benchmark. Pick a decent hill and time your best effort up it (noting conditions and how you felt). Have another go 2 weeks later etc and as long as you are consistant with training the time should fall. Same goes for picking a 20km out and back for benchmarking progress.

The equipment won't make you faster. Work will.
    Set a certain training goal and only get your watch when you hit it... you will find ways to improve then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The other thing I would add is enjoy it. It's a hobby after all.

Try to get out with mates on a group spin. Ideally some that are stronger than you. This will bring you on also.

Depending on your circumstances bike time can be hard to get in. It is the biggest time soak when training for tri. Try to find a balance that works for you across all 3 disciplines.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Depends how stuck you are for time, but the turbo will give you more bang for your time buck. Doesn't beat getting out on the road fun wise, but can be an option if you're tight for time, the weather is really crap etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

If you're just beginning I wouldn't worry about intervals or hills or turbos, get out on ur bike with mates and enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Green&Red wrote: »
    If you're just beginning I wouldn't worry about intervals or hills or turbos, get out on ur bike with mates and enjoy it

The question asked was "how to improve bike performance?". Just getting out with a group having the craic is fine but ultimately a near waste of time for triathlon if you ask me for a sport where you ride on your own and hold best threshold power.

I don't discount "just" enjoying cycling with your mates. If that is the approach, then cycle with mates who are faster than you :-)
    Some of the best training I did actually was with a mate. We warmed up together than rode 15-20 m apart, taking work segments in turns, included at least one climb and then warmed down together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I wouldn't agree with you there, I would think for the first 2/3 years going out and cycling (and yes with people better than you) will always bring you on and basically put miles in ur legs

I also say vary up the routes, make sure you have hills in it and faster flat sections with the wind at your back

• Registered Users Posts: 7 darthlogan

keep putting in the miles, by yourself, with others. Its time in the saddle that will count at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

your input is welcome darthlogan, but lets not resurrect 3 year old threads okay?

Advertisement