Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice regasrding a death record

Options
  • 05-07-2012 10:20am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've come across a death record on Family Search for a Francis Monks who died in Karachi and it's possible that he is relevant to me as I know of a Francis Monks who was a soldier stationed in India about that time. The record only includes a page number but not a volume number. Would this just be a transcription error or is there something else because it's a death in parts foreign?
    Name: Francis Monks
    Registration District: Karachi
    Event Type: DEATHS
    Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1889
    Estimated Birth Year: 1849
    Age (at Death): 40
    Mother's Maiden Name:
    Film Number: 101595
    Volume Number:
    Page Number: 30
    Digital Folder Number: 4200677
    Image Number: 00260

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I know someone that was able to pick up a cert for one of these overseas records in the GRO research room. Not sure if there were further references involved - will ask and get back to you.

Shane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hermy,

It's possible it was included in the late registration section that goes at the back of each year book, i.e. registered after the year ended. Especially since it's a last quarter death.

I suggest going into the GRO in Abbey St, if you can, to look at it in person. Alternatively, you could ask the Roscommon HQ to conduct a search giving them the details you have below.

However, remember that a death cert is not likely to have a vast amount on it to definitely connect to your family, even more so because he died abroad.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for the quick replies. I hope to visit the GRO tomorrow. I don't have much info on Monks branch of the tree so even the limited info on a death cert could be useful.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The other record I mentioned (a death from 1900 in Dinapore) had similar references - i.e. no volume number.

The register the record was located in was "Army Register Book - pursuant to the provisions of The Registration of deaths births and marriages (army) act 1879 42 Vic,. Cap. 8."

hope that helps...

Shane

That doesn't help Shane, sorry for me ignorance but where and what is that Army Register Book you refer to.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I believe it's one of the register sets they have available through the GRO

see item 6 on the GRO's research page : link

I thought the person involved collected the cert in the Research Room - but the website suggest that only head office have a copy ?

S.

Okay, I've just found records of the births of Mary Margaret Ellen and Elizabeth Mary on Family Search, both born in Bombay to Francis and Margaret Monks. However, I've only previously used Family Search for Irish records so I have no idea what the next step would be to verify these records. Again any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'd say the best thing to do is to talk to the GRO - I'm not certain if the research room has these or just Roscommon...

S.

That makes sense. So regarding my post above the GRO may have records available for births outside of their jurisdiction.

Genealogy Forum Mod

those other records (e.g. Mary Margaret Ellen) are from a different collection - so not GRO Ireland :

India, Births and Baptisms, 1786-1947

S.

• Advertisement

I've been to Joyce House and the Irish Life Mall office but never the Roscommon office. Is it run in a similar fashion to the Dublin office?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Roscommon does not operate a public drop in service.

Hilariously, the best response is by writing to them (and it will usually come by email if you include one!) The GRO does maintain a register of Irish people born overseas - historically this was mostly army related.

Genealogy Forum Mod

no visitors to Roscommon - it's by post/fax/phone

GRO Research room, Irish Life Building, Abbey St., Dublin is the best place for research of historic records.

Just to clarify that first death record you posted is from 'Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958', so is probably in Irish records as part of that army act.

The other two births are not from Irish records.

Shane

shanew wrote: »
    those other records (e.g. Mary Margaret Ellen) are from a different collection - so not GRO Ireland :

India, Births and Baptisms, 1786-1947

S.

So how do I get to the source of those records?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    So how do I get to the source of those records?

Think FindMyPast UK has some of the Armed forces births, marriage and deaths that might include India .

Shane

Okay, so I need to subscribe to access them.

Thanks for the help so far. I've only started this branch of my mothers family so I'll do a bit more digging and see what's what.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

re FMP UK - that might be an index ...you may have to order the actual cert from somewhere in the UK.

For information on (European) BMDs for India Check out : http://www.new.fibis.org/

Shane

just found further details re the person who previously located a records for an Army Death in India :
    ... received that death cert. for ...... .......that died in India. One can only get those certs from Roscommon. They do not provide them in Dublin or anywhere else. They are not available in the cheaper photocopy form, you have to get the genuine article for 10 euros....

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

shanew wrote: »
    re FMP UK - that might be an index ...you may have to order the actual cert from somewhere in the UK.

For information on (European) BMDs for India Check out : http://www.new.fibis.org/

Shane

Shane, regarding deaths of family members (sadly, newborn babies) of a British soldier stationed in India - would it be army records or fibis for my search? Am unsure of the surname as present but will find that out at some stage. Its a branch I'm not working on at present but I will have to climb that one at some point.

I haven't researched any India connections myself, but suspect that many (most?) of the records in included in those collections are Military, Administration or East India Co.

I seem to remember that certain certs. have to be ordered from, or viewed in TNA - aka The National Archives, Kew

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you Shane. I'll keep that on the back burner for when I need it. Too many branches being juggled right now and am getting dizzy. :)

Advertisement