Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genealogy distance learning

Options
  • 08-07-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for a good distance learning course in Genealogy, does anyone know of one?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Not sure if you want specifically Irish or general but here is a list that has some distance learning/online courses (mostly US).

http://genealogy.about.com/od/education/tp/opportunities.htm

Some of them are detailed enough and having done your own family tree is advisable.

Some of the posters on here have done courses in Ireland, if that is what you are interested in, and will be better able to advise about their distance learning aspects, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

Thanks coolnabacky1873, yes it is irish family history I'm from/living in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Irish Times Training have an online and a classroom course - the online one consists mostly of a Powerpoint type presentation with a lecture/commentary by John Grenham.

see : https://www.irishtimestraining.com/tracing-your-irish-ancestors

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

shanew wrote: »
    Irish Times Training have an online and a classroom course - the online one consists mostly of a Powerpoint type presentation with a lecture/commentary by John Grenham.

see : https://www.irishtimestraining.com/tracing-your-irish-ancestors

Shane

Good grief, I never knew this existed! Where have I been not to know about it? Thanks for posting it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's also the online cert done through the University of Limerick.

http://irisharc.org/education/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I know there is going to be a degree course in Limerick but wasn't aware there was an online one as well. Thanks.

Thanks Shane, I've looked at the Irish times course and there seems to be a lot of not so great reviews about it for some reason! Wouldn't mind hearing from someone who did it or knows someone who did. Pinkypinky I saw the online course with Limerick but its an MA and credits in family history are required to qualify. Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I did the Irish Times course a while ago - it was fine as an online course. The only other online courses I've done that I have to compare it to been IT related, and the presentation and quality was similar standard.

Nothing particularly ground-breaking in the course for me, as I'd figured most of the details of researching myself from books or the hard way!

As far as I remember each module took about an hour, and I completed the course over a couple of weekends. As part of each section there's a couple of tests where you get to try examples of the records that were discussed. E.g. details from Griffith's, a PRONI will entry, etc. There was also a section of using the Index on RootsIreland - which may now be out of date.

You also get credits for the Irish Times Ancestors site (dont remember how many..), a year's subscription to FMP.ie, and credit for access to the Irish Times archive - I think that's for a day..

You can get to preview one section of the course on that link, the one on Wills..

Shane

Thanks Shane, I've come quite far on my own family history "The hard way" as you put it, I think I will buy a few books and slog away at it for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Elizabetha wrote: »
    Pinkypinky I saw the online course with Limerick but its an MA and credits in family history are required to qualify.

You viewed the wrong course.

She was refering to their "[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Autumn 2012 - Certificate in History of Family and Genealogical Methods". [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Online Certificate €784 – subject to review. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]See previous post for more details. [/FONT]

• Advertisement

Thanks Brennans Row, I could see that now through the link you sent and am goining to look into it, thanks for your help, thanks too pinkypinky!

Advertisement