Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending a tenancy when a new lease is not agreed?

Options
  • 25-09-2020 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Theres a condition in my lease under the 'both the landlord and the tenant mutually agree' section that states that if the tenancy continues beyond the end date of the lease and another lease agreement isn't agreed then the landlord or the tenant can end the tenancy with just 4 weeks notice without giving a reason. Is this legal/common practice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No it's not legal. After six months in you have Part 4 rights. LL can only end the tenancy on certain grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Orlak2410

No it's not legal. After six months in you have Part 4 rights. LL can only end the tenancy on certain grounds.

Is it not called a break clause? I'm renting through a very reputable estate agents and I'd say they know what they can do and what they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Orlak2410 wrote: »
    Is it not called a break clause? I'm renting through a very reputable estate agents and I'd say they know what they can do and what they can't.

It’s not illegal until they use it. I’d say they’re counting in tenants not knowing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Break clauses are used during fixed term leases to allow the tenant to leave without being liable for rent during the whole of the term.

Example: tenant signs 1 year lease with break clause after 6 mths, that means tenant can leave after six months, having given the necessary notice, and is not liable for the rent during the remaining 6 mths of the fixed term.

Your statutory rights can not be over ridden by a lease agreement, so as the other poster said, once you have gained part 4 tenancy rights, the next time the LL can terminate the lease is at the end of the 6 yr cycle, unless he terminates on one of the allowed grounds like needing it for a family member or selling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I doubt there are very few if any EA that I would refer to as very reputable if I am being honest

• Advertisement
Advertisement