Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH router

Options
  • 17-04-2020 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

I signed up online for Eir's 1Gb FTTH at the start of April. The phone sales/service weren't working so figured the online was worth a shot,
    but I had no expectations of getting it installed within the month, maybe somewhere within the next three.

Surprisingly, the install date was for a week later, the lads from KN came out but when they tried pushing a cable through it seemed that the duct under
    the driveway was blocked. So much for getting away from my existing efibre 12/1. Not happy with the prospect of digging up, and re-tarmacking
    the driveway, I decided I'd have a go at seeing what the blockage in the duct was. I put a camera on the end of some chimney rods and pushed it
    up the duct. Thankfully the duct wasn't actually blocked, it had just been slightly crushed and that was causing a small lip that the fibre installer rod must have got stuck on.

So called up Eir again, they scheduled for a week later, a different lad from KN came out and he was able to install the fibre line, modem and
    router all within an hour and a half. I think ordinarily that's a fairly impressive install time frame, never-mind the current Corona virus difficulties.

Whilst looking online there doesn't seem to be much info about Eir's new router, or whether you use/reuse the F2000. I had the f2000 previously and
    it's not great (tends to lock up regularly) so didn't fancy that option. For my install they supplied the

Router = F3000 - Sagemcom CS 50001 Eir fibre box 1A
    Modem = Huawei HN8250ts

The Sagemcom website doesn't seem to show much regarding their routers, and there's only a quick start guide included in the box.
    It has a 4 port gigabit switch, dual band WiFi, guest network setup on both, it has 3x3 2.4GHz, 4x4 5GHz Rx/TX
    but the only phones / laptops that I have only support max of 2x2 80Mhz, running iperf locally they perform as expected with no issues.

The F3000 is a bit bulkier and heftier that the F2000, but it still feels like the usual ISP price point. I have an older Asus ac66u which
    is about half the size but twice the weight with much thicker ground planes, shielding and heat sinking. Also whilst the F2000 didn't
    include any means of wall hanging it was at least somewhat possible by securing its flat surface with screws. The F3000 seems to curve in each
    of x, y, z directions so mounting is a bit more difficult, the stand is also no longer removable.

Attached photos of pcb front and back, size comparison with F2000, current FTTH fibre cable install to modem, F3000 web interface.

509887.jpg

509888.jpg

509889.jpg

509890.jpg

509891.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

I also had FTTH installed with Eir this month and was given the same sagemcom router. I couldn't find any documentation for it at all online.

I've been having a very annoying problem with it where my Sony android phone can't get internet on the wifi. Connects to the network but no internet connection. Same result on 2.4 and 5. Tried manually joining with a static IP but it won't connect to the network at all then. I had the same problem with another Samsung Android phone initially but that one magically fixed itself.

In any case our house is challenging for WiFi coverage so I'm going to bridge the sagemcom and put in a mesh system.

The actual fibre product itself unsurprisingly is pretty awesome. I've observed an average latency increase of 1ms in the evening vs daytime over a wired connection but 5ms instead of 4ms to 8.8.8.8 is still a fairly amazing result.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Credit where it's due - I removed the Sagemcom and replaced it with a Synology RT2600ac. In comparison to the Sagemcom the Synology seems to add approx 3ms latency overhead.

Given that I'll never notice 3ms and the Synology is so much better in every other way, I'll be putting the sagemcom in a box and forgetting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IrishJoe

I have got this same modem and trying to put a VPN on but not sure if it supports OpenVPN ? Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Have a Samsung s6, a8, s10e all connected with no issues to 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Only problem with wifi that I had was changing the wifi password again. It doesn't support a number of characters # ; etc. although it does allow blank spaces in the ssid which the previous one didn't.

1 thing that annoys me though is it has the eirWIFI feature that can't be turned off locally or on the eir website and I don't fancy spending an hour or two on the phone to support.

Latency seems to be around 7ms minimum for me, speedtests only ever get about 400Mb/s, 100Mb/s but actual throughput (cyberlockers / iso from heanet etc.) is the full 800 - 1000Mb/s. Which is really nice.

I remember setting up an old tplink router as a ddwrt vpn access point so that the tv could stream the BBC player etc. Just flicking through the router menus it doesn't seem to have any vpn options.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How do you set up a new wps connection (wireless printer) on one of these routers? I'm a bit of a dinosaur on these things so go gently please :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

After waiting nearly a year we can finally sign up for Eurs fibre service.

Has anyone had any issues using the supplied router with Google/Nest wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ribiaco

Hi,

I bought Nest Wifi and face slow speeds when connecting the second access point. According to google this is due to Double NAT. When I enable bridge mode the modem loses access to internet and also disables the Ethernet out to the google router. So I need help with this as eir customer services are not willing to support this (or staff not trained to do so). Can anyone help with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Google Wifi doesnt support VLAN tags on the wan interface, if you have FTTH removing the ISP gear entirely makes sense. Return the GWifi and buy a competing system instead.

ED E wrote: »
    Google Wifi doesnt support VLAN tags on the wan interface, if you have FTTH removing the ISP gear entirely makes sense. Return the GWifi and buy a competing system instead.

Am i reading it right in that google wifi (we have 3 devices) won't work with Eir FTTH?

Am i reading it right in that google wifi (we have 3 devices) won't work with Eir FTTH?

You'll have to string it through another device. It can work, just not as elegantly as many/all other mesh systems.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    You'll have to string it through another device. It can work, just not as elegantly as many/all other mesh systems.

Sorry if this a dumb question, do you mean plug the eir FTTH router through the google wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

i'm not familiar with google wifi, but going on the comments above it doesn't support VLAN tagging on WAN port,
    this means it won't be able to get a internet connection

you have two options then,
    1) put the main Router in Bridge Mode and your google wifi behind it
    2) get a router that will let you do VLAN tagging on WAN port, (I use a Unifi USG for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

brianbruff wrote: »
    i'm not familiar with google wifi, but going on the comments above it doesn't support VLAN tagging on WAN port,
    this means it won't be able to get a internet connection

you have two options then,
    1) put the main Router in Bridge Mode and your google wifi behind it
    2) get a router that will let you do VLAN tagging on WAN port, (I use a Unifi USG for example)

Also option with a managed switch to vlan tag the port the Google wifi unit is connected to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'm looking at getting FTTH installed, but I use TP-Link Deco M4s around the house for better coverage.
    Currently using my Sky router with the wifi turned off, and the M4 handling all the wifi.

Does that setup go out the window with the FTTH ie. turn off the wifi on the modem and let the M4 handle it?

Soarer wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting FTTH installed, but I use TP-Link Deco M4s around the house for better coverage.
    Currently using my Sky router with the wifi turned off, and the M4 handling all the wifi.

Does that setup go out the window with the FTTH ie. turn off the wifi on the modem and let the M4 handle it?

Just connect the M4 to the ONT. AFAIK its fully compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 otterboy

I just got this router and am trying to change DNS settings to use opendns for parental control filtering - called eircom support and after waiting 45 minutes was informed that they couldnt/wouldnt help me - any one get this to work?

I cant get the Primary and secondary DNS servers to change (tryng to install open DNS)
    In basic internet connectivity settings (IPV4) I can set it to manually specify DNS
    and I put in the appropriate DNS server info
    and that stays after reboot

however....
    when I go to modem config
    DNS servers are still in the default
    Primary DNS Server 159.134.0.1
    Secondary DNS Server 159.134.0.2

how can I change these on the new router (and get them to stick - it looks like they are locked??
    (I was able to do it fine on the last one that I have just had replaced)
    any advice?

also - Hate the new parental control interface compared to my last router!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭TestLink

Are these two separate devices?

Modem = Huawei HN8250ts

1. Is modem / bridge mode possible with this device? I would like to use my existing AX wireless router for connecting devices in my home rather than the eir router.

2. I was told by the eir rep that 1Gbps speed is guaranteed at all times. Is that realistic or theoretical?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

They are 2 separate devices
    1 modem ie ONT ( small white box with terminated fibre and Ethernet connector, pinned to the wall for good) property of OpenEir
    2 router, different for every provider ie Eir, Vodafone, DIGIWEB etc, when you change provider, you only change router, modem stays the same .

ps . for instance ,
    my modem ( ONT) is Huawei hg8010h
    providers router is F2000

alec76 wrote: »
    They are 2 separate devices
    1 modem ie ONT ( small white box with terminated fibre and Ethernet connector, pinned to the wall for good) property of OpenEir
    2 router, different for every provider ie Eir, Vodafone, DIGIWEB etc, when you change provider, you only change router, modem stays the same .

I

Ok, Here is what I am looking for.

Can I just use the modem alone and connect the modem to my existing WiFi router via LAN port?

TestLink wrote: »
    Ok, Here is what I am looking for.

Can I just use the modem alone and connect the modem to my existing WiFi router via LAN port?

Yes , absolutely , but it has to be WAN port, not LAN
    and your existing router must support VLAN 10 tagging.
    You have to Google if your router support VLAN

• Advertisement

Yes , absolutely , but it has to be WAN port, not LAN
    and your existing router must support VLAN 10 tagging.
    You have to Google if your router support VLAN

Thanks for the info.

You won't be able to use the Phone thought, as it is plugged into the Provider's router, not the modem.

You won't be able to use the Phone thought, as it is plugged into the Provider's router, not the modem.

Oh, that is bad news.

Not much into networking side. What should I do to get DHCP leases from my WiFi router for devices in my house. I have an OpenVPN client installed on to my AX router. So all devices in my house are VPN protected. I dont know whether installing a VPN client on the Eir router is possible.

Any advice?

Easiest way is t
    1 Disable WIFI on Eir's router
    2 then plug your current router WAN port into LAN port of ER's,
    3 then switch your current router into AP mode ( Wi Fi Access Point)
    So, all routing will be done by Eir router , your current router only behave as WI Fi access point.

Second option would be more complex but propper
    1 Connect your router into modem
    2 plug LAN port of Eir router to LAN port of existing
    3 do virtual server port forwarding for VOIP settings

I presume you are working from home and VPN is a requirement.
    Just ask your IT department to do second option for you.

There are actually two RJ11 ports at the back of the modem. Please see the attached pic.

Would that be enough for the land telephone to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Def_IRL

BTW: Any joy getting SIP credentials from EIr to allow you setup SIP on this router?
    I signed up online for Eir's 1Gb FTTH at the start of April. The phone sales/service weren't working so figured the online was worth a shot,
    but I had no expectations of getting it installed within the month, maybe somewhere within the next three.

Surprisingly, the install date was for a week later, the lads from KN came out but when they tried pushing a cable through it seemed that the duct under
    the driveway was blocked. So much for getting away from my existing efibre 12/1. Not happy with the prospect of digging up, and re-tarmacking
    the driveway, I decided I'd have a go at seeing what the blockage in the duct was. I put a camera on the end of some chimney rods and pushed it
    up the duct. Thankfully the duct wasn't actually blocked, it had just been slightly crushed and that was causing a small lip that the fibre installer rod must have got stuck on.

So called up Eir again, they scheduled for a week later, a different lad from KN came out and he was able to install the fibre line, modem and
    router all within an hour and a half. I think ordinarily that's a fairly impressive install time frame, never-mind the current Corona virus difficulties.

Whilst looking online there doesn't seem to be much info about Eir's new router, or whether you use/reuse the F2000. I had the f2000 previously and
    it's not great (tends to lock up regularly) so didn't fancy that option. For my install they supplied the

Modem = Huawei HN8250ts

The Sagemcom website doesn't seem to show much regarding their routers, and there's only a quick start guide included in the box.
    It has a 4 port gigabit switch, dual band WiFi, guest network setup on both, it has 3x3 2.4GHz, 4x4 5GHz Rx/TX
    but the only phones / laptops that I have only support max of 2x2 80Mhz, running iperf locally they perform as expected with no issues.

The F3000 is a bit bulkier and heftier that the F2000, but it still feels like the usual ISP price point. I have an older Asus ac66u which
    is about half the size but twice the weight with much thicker ground planes, shielding and heat sinking. Also whilst the F2000 didn't
    include any means of wall hanging it was at least somewhat possible by securing its flat surface with screws. The F3000 seems to curve in each
    of x, y, z directions so mounting is a bit more difficult, the stand is also no longer removable.

Attached photos of pcb front and back, size comparison with F2000, current FTTH fibre cable install to modem, F3000 web interface.

509887.jpg

509888.jpg

509889.jpg

509890.jpg

509891.jpg

TestLink wrote: »
    There are actually two RJ11 ports at the back of the modem. Please see the attached pic.

Would that be enough for the land telephone to work?

They should/will be inactive. The ISP provisions the tel but has no access to the ONT (traffic passes through it).

The VirginMedia phone line is connected to the HUB eventhough the hub is in modem mode. So I thought the same might be the case with eir also.

VM doesn’t resell their lines to different ISP
    OpenEir resells to Eir, Vodafone,Digiweb, Sky , Airwire etc.
    That’s the reason they have 2 separated devices( modem and router ) Modem belongs to OpenEir, router to ISP
    ps. OpenEir and Eir are two different companies ( at least for the Revenue )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ceon

Credit where it's due - I removed the Sagemcom and replaced it with a Synology RT2600ac. In comparison to the Sagemcom the Synology seems to add approx 3ms latency overhead.

Given that I'll never notice 3ms and the Synology is so much better in every other way, I'll be putting the sagemcom in a box and forgetting about it.

Hi PaddyTheNth
    Any advice on setting up the RT2600ac with eir. I have FTTH and the F3000 just wasn't great. But I'm having issues with trying to setup the Synology router.

Thanks

Advertisement