Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Neco had shown some good signs but looks a bit raw at moment.

Gotta love Origi. Quite unorthodox player but keeps scoring goals and just shrugs it all off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Interesting to see what kind of team is put out next week. No doubt they’ll go strong with it being one of their two chances at silverware, plus they’ll also want revenge for the kids beating them last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why aren't premier League clubs banging down the door for divock? When he plays he scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Crazy to think we played a midfeild 3 and none of the below started in it

Fab
    Hendo
    Gini
    Milner
    Keita
    Ox
    Thiago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    A decade ago on here when Yossi was having a poor game, he'd get a bit of abuse, and then score out of nowhere. So people started saying "Yossi Smells" to inspire him to score.

Fado fado...

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I wouldn't panic even if Williams doesn't develop to Trent levels. Like if we got someone who could play at the level Wes Brown delivered circuit 08/09 filling in when called upon i'd be delighted.

The beauty of our team is the individual isn't as important as the effort. We work hard and that's why we work. And the magic comes from many areas on the pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Crazy to think we played a midfeild 3 and none of the below started in it

Fab
    Hendo
    Gini
    Milner
    Keita
    Ox
    Thiago

Gini to Barca has died the death hasn't it. So the pressure to sell Grujic and Wilson must be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

How did Fabinho and Jota perform when they came on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I didn't dismiss him, I stated the obvious.

Does any FTA channel have League Cup highlights?

Quest have highlights but they had them on last night, not showing any tonight it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rob316 wrote: »
    Why aren't premier League clubs banging down the door for divock? When he plays he scores

Not a great time to sell him.

It's the sort of one in normal times where you could see a club giving him a go, but I doubt we'd accept any less than about £40m for him, and I can't see many being willing to pay that at the moment.

I wonder will he end up going on loan.

• Advertisement

Quest have highlights but they had them on last night, not showing any tonight it seems

Ta, something to remember for the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭garra

Gbear wrote: »

It's the sort of one in normal times where you could see a club giving him a go, but I doubt we'd accept any less than about £40m for him, and I can't see many being willing to pay that at the moment.

That doesn't make sense. If we were offered 30m it would suit the club more to sell him rather than loan him out and let his value depreciate (in terms of his age increasing by a year and his length of contract decreasing by a year).

Gbear wrote: »

I don't think we'd ask for that much but £30m would do it. Villa paid 28m for Watkins who had one decent season in the championship, mind boggles.

What are his goals to starts ratio? Nevermind the 5 mins he gets at the end of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

rob316 wrote: »
    What are his goals to starts ratio? Nevermind the 5 mins he gets at the end of games.

6 goals & 3 assists in 13 starts all comps.

Overall, he played around 1350 minutes which is about 17 full games.

Fitz* wrote: »
    6 goals & 3 assists in 13 starts all comps.

Overall, he played around 1350 minutes which is about 17 full games.

Not bad at all.

He's a good player and finisher but he just don't suit us. Can't do what FIRMINO does or the Salah or mane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    How did Fabinho and Jota perform when they came on?

Fab wasn't as impactful as VVD. But both had a inexperienced centre back beside them.
    Difficult to judge Jota. Wasn't a great debut . Not so much wrong but not much spark. Had a decent shot from outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Taki man of the match
    Currently looking like a sharper version of Bobby, Beautiful first finish tonight

Looking that way. Defensively very good too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

He has definitely settled in now,seen him giving instructions to others during the game,and generally ,taking on a bit of responsibility,no hiding. Bargain I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Really enjoyed the Minamino performance last night. You can tell he has put on a lot of muscle since he first came. His debut against Wolves saw him bouncing off opposition players if they went near him, but last night was the opposite and the 5th goal epitomized that. He was harrying opposition players, using his strength to put them under pressure and win the ball back and still having the energy to sprint into the box to follow up the saved shot and score.

Curtis Jones was also very good, I like his desire to shoot. Sometimes young players can just play the simple pass as they are scared of losing it and often the shot can be the better option. He showed some great feet for his second goal too. There could be a real talent here. Something I didn't think was possible after his debut away at Wolves in the cup 2 seasons ago. (there's a bit of a trend here!)

Shaqiri impressed too, and playing in CM which is quite random. Maybe a shop window performance but a good performance never did anyone any harm. His set pieces are such a use addition. I liked Tsimikas too. Hopefully this is his bar now, and not just a flash in the pan against lower league team. But if this is his level, then we know that Klopp can rest Robertson and be confident now that there will be a very capable replacement in the team, and no offence to Milner but having a player who can go on the outside and still provide width is such an important trait. Unfortunately on the other side, Neco had another poor performance. I won't slate the kid too much as he is young and learning but that is a couple of poor performances in a row. Maybe he is feeling the pressure or the step up. I'll give him time anyways yet. After all, his long term ceiling does not have to be TAA level, it just has to able deputy level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think I would keep Shaq & Origi for the season unless amazing offers come in.

Bobby, Mane, Salah, Minamino, Origi, Jota, Shaq and Elliott gives real depth to the front line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think I would keep Shaq & Origi for the season unless amazing offers come in.

Bobby, Mane, Salah, Minamino, Origi, Jota, Shaq and Elliott gives real depth to the front line.

Origi is only 25 and signed a new deal last year. He knows his place in the squad, doesn't have a big ego and does what's needed when he plays.

If he's happy to stay as a back up we should be keeping him without discussion.

Origi, Minamino and Jota are great covers for the front three and Shaq and Elliott as further back up definitely strengthens us.

If we don't need to sell anyone for financial reasons then keep the squad.

Last night the midfield could easily have had Ox and Milner starting too. We finally have a good squad size who are all familiar with the way we play.

It's the really fringe players like Wilson, Grujic, Brewster who we should look at selling.

Brewster would need Origi sold to have a chance of playing this season but I don't see Brewster being better than Origi for us right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Jesus lads, a 7-2 win away to canon fodder is a result we'd have been delighted with our 1st team getting only a few years ago, and now our 2nd team are doing it....

The Future is bright, the future is RED.

Also, I think Klopp is going to turn Jota (and Minamino) into a Superstar, World Class talent, thus allowing us to sell assets down the line for £100m+, keeping the club on an extremely even keel.

Klopp, and the structure he's put in place, genuinely is the greatest thing that's ever happened to Liverpool Football Club.

Fcuking Drink It In

Messi's farewell message to Suarez.

• Advertisement

I'd keep Shaqiri, hes proven over his time here he can make an impact. Fitness is a big problem though.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Messi's farewell message to Suarez.

Well if you needed any further proof Messi will definitely leave this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus lads, a 7-2 win away to canon fodder is a result we'd have been delighted with our 1st team getting only a few years ago, and now our 2nd team are doing it....

The Future is bright, the future is RED.

Also, I think Klopp is going to turn Jota (and Minamino) into a Superstar, World Class talent, thus allowing us to sell assets down the line for £100m+, keeping the club on an extremely even keel.

Klopp, and the structure he's put in place, genuinely is the greatest thing that's ever happened to Liverpool Football Club.

Fcuking Drink It In

I always think back to that match in the league cup i think it was where we had to win on penalties and it took like 20 penos to do it. I think that was one of our lowest points. Now look where we are.

Middlesbrough game? Rossiter and Suso scored. Youth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Middlesbrough game? Rossiter and Suso scored. Youth!

felt like one of the coldest anfield nights ever... shorts were a bad decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Barcelona is going to be some shi*show this year. I can see them tearing themselves apart. That's some message from Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gotta say I wasn't sure about Taki but he seems a real player ,

Was buzzing around the pitch last night and even thought he is light weight he has a bit of bite to him ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Gotta say I wasn't sure about Taki but he seems a real player ,

Was buzzing around the pitch last night and even thought he is light weight he has a bit of bite to him ,

I'd recon he will start to strengthen up a bit and not get pushed off the ball so easily this season. Really looking forward to seeing how he will develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭klose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Whats that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

****ing cretins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

young lad in Tralee up in the district court last week for sending online abuse to Ian Wright
    probably killed several career opportunities for him
    social media is one of those things you need to add to the ever expanding list of things not to do when drunk. Driving, parachute jumping, twitter.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

the #LFCFamily twitter merchants strike again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭JimboJones99

Very impressed by the attitude of the second string last night. I thought their urgency and desire to win the ball back when they lost it was brilliant to see. They could have just strolled round the place and won the ball back without with too much exertion but they hassled and harried brilliantly as if it was Premier League standard they were playing.

As everyone has said Taki seems much more confident and that is showing with every performance. Definitely will be more of an option going forward and no harm for Bobby to have a bit more competition.

Jones definitely has some future ahead of him. I just hope he has patience with LFC and will be happy to bide his time as we have so many options there at the moment. I remember one of his interviews from last season where you could see a little bit of frustration at lack of game time. He spoke well last night but I could see him starting to get more annoyed if he doesn't get game time as the season goes on. He rightly has great confidence in himself and I'm not sure he will want to stick around for long if he isn't playing. We have great options now but with Milner 34, Henderson 30, Wijnaldum & Thiago hitting 30 we will need younger legs in the next 3 years or so and hopefully Jones will be around to become a regular.

Frustrating night for Elliott who tried and tried to get involved but this experience will be good for him. Really think he will become excellant.

There is some player in Shaq, he never be more than a bit part player for us but he could do some job for 16 or so other PL clubs. I would gladly keep him around if finances and his own willingness allowed it.

Same with Grujic but as per Jones there is so many options its hard to see him sticking around. Fine player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

That’s depressing. The World really needs to examine our education systems and improve massively the teaching of basic manners from the age of 5 through to 19.

I'd keep Grujic on the books (albeit maybe on loan again) and look at him as a rotation option for when Milner goes, Jones obviously will get Lallana's time (such as it was!) this season with Wijnaldum leaving next summer at the latest you'd have to think he'll then move up a further. Plus if Shaqiri stays he'll leave in 2021 most likely - spaces will appear in the first team squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

I'd keep Grujic on the books (albeit maybe on loan again) and look at him as a rotation option for when Milner goes, Jones obviously will get Lallana's time (such as it was!) this season with Wijnaldum leaving next summer at the latest you'd have to think he'll then move up a further. Plus if Shaqiri stays he'll leave in 2021 most likely - spaces will appear in the first team squad.

I thought there was a limit on the number of times a player can be loaned out - I could be wrong though as Grujic must’ve exceeded any such rule at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

eigrod wrote: »
    That’s depressing. The World really needs to examine our education systems and improve massively the teaching of basic manners from the age of 5 through to 19.

Ya the problem is that the technology is far too fast for our education system to catch up with. Even the law if often behind in this respect. Teachers are talking about the dangers of FB and WhatsApp and sharing nudes without having a clue about Tik Tok, SC and IG, for example. There definitely needs to be more workshops to highlight this but often it happens too late. Kids in elementary school already have more of an understanding of technology than most of their parents to tbh.

Another issue too is that parents have to agree to allow their kids to use these apps (if the kids are not 16 they need their parents consent) but often don't police or check their kid's activity. There's YouTube Kids, for example, but many kids don't use it if their parents haven't even figured out the parental lock on their device. Kids mimic what they see online.

It's not just about the teachers teaching the kids (they are not qualified to teach social media or any etiquette after all), but the parents need to keep more of an eye of what their kids are doing online. Kids use their devices more at home than at school after all. We all do.

Not having a go but after teaching for years, I've very strong opinions on this :-) Sorry for going off topic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Those tenets are thought at home.
    Our children reflect their home and mentors, not their teachers.

The education system shouldn't be tarred as derelict here.
    There is plenty wrong with it as is, but the 1st and most important "teacher" of norms and mores is the family.

Unfortunately, far too many parents raise their kids via social media these days and "noteriety" has some sort of cache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,898 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I thought there was a limit on the number of times a player can be loaned out - I could be wrong though as Grujic must’ve exceeded any such rule at this stage.

Chelsea's Lucas Piazon would beg to differ

gmeR9JN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭JimboJones99

All of sudden we seem to have a very strong squad, something that I didnt think we had last season. Our first 11 were exceptional and we had plenty of cover for midfield but other areas seemed weak. There will still be a drop from our front 3 to the backup but hopefully not as obvious as it was.

In the midfield and attacking areas we now have a lovely mix of experience, players at or coming into their peak and very talented youngsters.

Midfield
    Milner 34
    Henderson 30
    Wijnaldum 29
    Thiago 29
    Oxlade 27
    Fabinho 26
    Keita 25
    Grujic 24
    Jones 19

Attackers
    Firmino 29
    Mane 28
    Salah 28
    Shaqiri 28
    Origi 25
    Minamino 25
    Wilson 23
    Bewster 20
    Elliott 17

I know some of these players will move on before the end of the transfer windows. If reports are correct then surely, Wilson, Brewster, Grujic and maybe Shaq but looking at the above I would expect us to challenge on all front this season and be a bit stronger in the cups than we have been in previous years. We are probably still a bit light in defence with the lack of a young prospect apart from Neco at RB and maybe Koumetio.

Exciting times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I’ve been wondering do Thiago and Jota’s contracts have pandemic clauses in them regarding reduction in wages etc.

I can that becoming more common now with all new contracts in professional sports.

• Advertisement

People say the midfield over overloaded yet in a year it could quite easily be down to a core of

Henderson
    Thiago
    Fabinho
    Keita
    Jones

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement