Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vets overprescribing?

Options
  • 22-09-2020 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Took a limping cat to the vet - leg was a little swollen and she seemed out of sorts.

T​he vet​ couldn't see anything obvious, but gave her an anti-inflammatory and a painkiller. The vet also advised coming back for x-rays and printed out a laundry list of drugs the cat would need: a general anesthetic, Calmivet (tranquilizer); Comfortan (methadone); Synulox (antibiotic); Loxicom (anti-inflammatory). Blood tests, (post-surgery) nutritional food, and a vaccine booster were kindly added as optional extras!

Is this just about ratcheting up the cost or is there a reasonable explanation for prescribing ​a general anesthetic, a tranquilizer, and methadone to get an x-ray? I also don't understand the antibiotics without first establishing whether there is a bacterial infection: aren't GPs supposed to be scaling back the use of antibiotics to avoid antibiotic resistance? Doesn't seem like much point if we're needlessly pumping them into our pets.

The good news is the cat was fine the next day so no drugs or x-rays were paid for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

RubyRoss wrote: »
    Took a limping cat to the vet - leg was a little swollen and she seemed out of sorts.

T​he vet​ couldn't see anything obvious, but gave her an anti-inflammatory and a painkiller. The vet also advised coming back for x-rays and printed out a laundry list of drugs the cat would need: a general anesthetic, Calmivet (tranquilizer); Comfortan (methadone); Synulox (antibiotic); Loxicom (anti-inflammatory). Blood tests, (post-surgery) nutritional food, and a vaccine booster were kindly added as optional extras!

​Is this just about ratcheting up the cost or is there a reasonable explanation for prescribing ​a general anesthetic, a tranquilizer, and methadone to get an x-ray? I also don't understand the antibiotics without first establishing whether there is a bacterial infection: aren't GPs supposed to be scaling back the use of antibiotics to avoid antibiotic resistance? Doesn't seem like much point if we're needlessly pumping them into our pets.

The good news is the cat was fine the next day so no drugs or x-rays were paid for.

In my experience many of them simply operate with a "hit it with steroids and antibiotics first and see what happens" approach. Strikes me as lazy medical care to be honest. I think there is also a cost element. I worked as a volunteer years back for a veterinary clinic for people on low incomes - the cost price of most of the drugs is negligible yet my own vet would charge an extortionate markup. We've recently changed vets (primarily because of a misdiagnosis which thankfully I had the good sense to seek a second opinion on) but also because I was getting tired of being treated like a cash cow. Our new vet is far superior medically and also less about the trimmings. I'm always wary of any clinic that peddles flashy pet accessories, treats and toys in their reception area to be honest. Be like going to the GP and having to pass the sweeties/ wine aisle to get to the consultation room.

In particular, while paying for a procedure and associated costs is reasonable, I think it's unfair to heap on multiple consultation costs for (what would appear to me to be) unnecessary "follow up" - yes the head we stitched back on is still there. Let's check it again in a month, and again in another month etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

So vets and pet insurance are the new mechanics. There should be some regulation around prescriptions though - dishing out unnecessary drugs is bad for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’d say it’s normal enough to be given pain killers for an injury and if they don’t work in x days you go back for xrays - for which you were given an itemised bill in advance so no surprises. The same way when I pulled my neck a few weeks ago I was given a prescription for pain relief and form to come back for an MRI if I didn’t improve in a few days.
    With experience you know when your pet has a minor injury that will clear up or when it’s time for a vet visit. I’d also rather give my dog pain relief that was ‘unneeded’ than leave him him pain.

Vets tend to add up the items these days, but I would definitely have that X-ray. My own cat developed osteosarcoma one the rear left leg early this year. To diagnose and plan either surgery or euthanasia (was in a fair bit of pain) it required whole body xrays to determine disease extent, & biopsies to determine tumour type. It was determined to have a favourable longer term prognosis with radical surgery in spite of large size of tumour because of the biopsy grading. Fortunately I have insurance, so all the diagnostics, surgery and several medications afterwards were almost entirely covered, and I have a very lively, happy cat here beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭chooey

Is this just about ratcheting up the cost or is there a reasonable explanation for prescribing ​a general anesthetic, a tranquilizer, and methadone to get an x-ray? I also don't understand the antibiotics without first establishing whether there is a bacterial infection: aren't GPs supposed to be scaling back the use of antibiotics to avoid antibiotic resistance? Doesn't seem like much point if we're needlessly pumping them into our pets.

Calmivet and methadone are given together prior to an anaesthetic as a premedication- basically makes them a little sleepier and in turn you have to give less injectable medication to induce anaesthesia. Not giving those makes the patients anaesthetic far less smooth.
    They might have just quoted for an antibiotic in the estimate in case it needed to be given. It’s worse coming back to people afterwards advising them it’s going to be more expensive than the quote given
    Glad to hear your cat is feeling better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭omicron

Calmivet and comfortan - pre medication before anaesthetic to calm the cat down and reduce the amount of anaesthetic required.
    General anaesthesic - required to take images of a cats leg, you can't just ask them to sit still!
    Antibiotics - if they don't find anything else wrong and can examine closer under anaesthetic there's a strong likelihood of an abscess somewhere in the leg, very common in cats that go outside due to fighting with feral cats.
    Anti inflammatory - for pain and inflammation, you mentioned the cat was limping and swollen.

Bloods - depending on the age and history of the cat may be recommended to check vital organs.

Alternatively you could go to a vet who will give the pain relief and antibiotics first, which may well work, and avoid all of the above, but youll get people complaining about the vet not doing a proper investigation then.

You can't please everyone.

chooey wrote: »
    Calmivet and methadone are given together prior to an anaesthetic as a premedication- basically makes them a little sleepier and in turn you have to give less injectable medication to induce anaesthesia. Not giving those makes the patients anaesthetic far less smooth.
    They might have just quoted for an antibiotic in the estimate in case it needed to be given. It’s worse coming back to people afterwards advising them it’s going to be more expensive than the quote given
    Glad to hear your cat is feeling better!

Thank you for this explanation. Now I understand it.

Thanks for this. Great to have it explained.

Advertisement