Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

week 1 basis and tax refund

Options
  • 05-09-2020 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi
    I recently started a job for a month and a half at the start of august. I will end in 2 weeks. unfortunately I have been getting more than half my pay check taxed because I have been on emergency tax.
    I have recently just updated my job details on revenue.
    I have been put on week 1 tax basis and my tax credits have been updated cause I will earn below 13000 in a annumn and my tax credits have been updated.
    I was just wondering if on my next paycheck what my tax will fall to
    and if I will receive a tax refund for the insane tax I paid?
    I'm on minimum wage.
    also if I dont receive a tax refund in my next paycheck is their any way for me to get a tax refund?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/periods-of-unemployment/how-to-claim-a-tax-and-usc-refund-if-you-are-unemployed.aspx

If you’re on w1 then you won’t get back what’s already been deducted at this point from the employer.
    If the job finishes then the procedures in link above may apply. If you’re on minimum say around €440 ish for 40hr then assuming you’re single normal credits then tax would be around €23, PRSI €17 plus usc may be nil if they applied the below 13k exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oreo47

Stratvs wrote: »
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/periods-of-unemployment/how-to-claim-a-tax-and-usc-refund-if-you-are-unemployed.aspx

If you’re on w1 then you won’t get back what’s already been deducted at this point from the employer.
    If the job finishes then the procedures in link above may apply. If you’re on minimum say around €440 ish for 40hr then assuming you’re single normal credits then tax would be around €23, PRSI €17 plus usc may be nil if they applied the below 13k exemption.

thanks for your reply. Ye my employer told me that the work is going to end on the 17th of september and I will be unemployed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oreo47

Stratvs wrote: »

hey again.
    So my work has finished up now. I was hoping to make that claim for the emergency tax I paid during my employment but because I was on the Pandemic payment they said in a message that refunds can't be made until the end of the year. have they gotten this right do you know. I can't find more information about this online.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

oreo47 wrote: »
    hey again.
    So my work has finished up now. I was hoping to make that claim for the emergency tax I paid during my employment but because I was on the Pandemic payment they said in a message that refunds can't be made until the end of the year. have they gotten this right do you know. I can't find more information about this online.

Normally its 4 weeks if no other income or 8 weeks if in receipt of DEASP. The PUP is something we've not had before so I can't say. If they consider it's same as JSB then you're still very close to December before a claim anyway so realistically you may have to wait until after 31/12/20 and then do a total year review.

Remember this is an unprecedented situation so everyone, including Revenue are doing their best.

Advertisement