Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It jobs Toronto

Options
  • 16-07-2017 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im making the move to Toronto in Jan 2018 on IEC Visa.Flights booked so getting a bit nervous about job hunting!

I know its unlikely ill get something looking from here but when is the best time to start looking and does anyone know what the market is like for DBA\App support roles?

I will also be in Toronto for a few days in early December so would it be worth going to recruitment agencies then, I wont have activated my iec visa in the dec trip.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheAbstracter

I'm also making the move to Toronto early next year, so interested in this thread as well. I have ~5 years experience in Software Development, using a variety of languages but primarily Java. Like jd83 I've also seen plenty of jobs posted online but any input on the state of the sector in reality is welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I'm also making the move to Toronto early next year, so interested in this thread as well. I have ~5 years experience in Software Development, using a variety of languages but primarily Java. Like jd83 I've also seen plenty of jobs posted online but any input on the state of the sector in reality is welcome.

I don't know what the market is like for the positions the OP would be looking for. But for developer roles the demand is very high. A lot of companies are comfortable doing interviews online using Skype or Hangouts so there is no harm starting to apply a couple of months in advance. Depending on your specific skills and your ability at interviews you could easily have something lined up before you arrive.

I've noticed interviews over here are quite a bit more involved than back home. Maybe things have changed, but it used to be back home you do one interview and then get a yes or a no a few days later. Over here they want to do 2 to 4 rounds with various tests and many companies put a lot of emphasis on whiteboard coding.

Salaries are also much higher than back home, which might explain why they are more cautious at the interview stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm still in the process of getting the IEC but am thinking I'll probably move to Toronto also.

I work in Quality Assurance with a mix of manual and automation work. Are there any recruiters or sites in particular that are best to check out regarding jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

From what I can tell, the IT sector is very healthy in Toronto.

My issue is am almost completely self-taught engineer and dont have a degree or diploma. 
    Spoke to a recruitment officer there and he said that no one asks for your certificates so just make one up.

Also apparently the accent helps a lot. 

He told me there was really no problem getting a job which was one of my main reasons for biting the bullet. We will see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheAbstracter

But for developer roles the demand is very high. A lot of companies are comfortable doing interviews online using Skype or Hangouts so there is no harm starting to apply a couple of months in advance.
    Salaries are also much higher than back home, which might explain why they are more cautious at the interview stage.

Great to hear!

I've noticed interviews over here are quite a bit more involved than back home. Maybe things have changed, but it used to be back home you do one interview and then get a yes or a no a few days later. Over here they want to do 2 to 4 rounds with various tests and many companies put a lot of emphasis on whiteboard coding.

I think some companies here are becoming more like that, certainly the ones I've been more interested in working for have a longer process with coding tasks, meeting the team, etc. And they're more aware that an interview is a two way street, I'm interviewing them as much as they're interviewing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

That's new. When I was in Toronto in 2007 they envied the salaries I could get back in Dublin doing .NET development.

Is there a good site to list the salaries for a senior dev?

I wouldn't mind going back.. I miss the excellent music scene (@ Horseshoe Tavern etc) and exceedingly hot women ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

mrcheez wrote: »
    That's new. When I was in Toronto in 2007 they envied the salaries I could get back in Dublin doing .NET development.

Is there a good site to list the salaries for a senior dev?

I wouldn't mind going back.. I miss the excellent music scene (@ Horseshoe Tavern etc) and exceedingly hot women ;)

The average salaries on Indeed.ca were reasonably accurate to what I've seen when I was interviewing. No idea if that holds true for .NET positions tho, as I've no idea what the demand is like in that area. The averages they list for more junior roles tend to be a bit higher than whats accurate because companies tend not to list what they pay when they are paying pennies but on the more senior end it seems pretty accurate.

Advertisement