Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Canada?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I have work available in Toronto if anyone is looking at the moment.

Please PM me if interested. The job pretty much entails sourcing work for a construction company and money is very good if you're motivated to make a lot of money.

Please PM me if interested and give local cell number too and I can call you and go through it all with you.

Thanks,

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mazzersmhanno

hi,imnot sure how to post here,so here goes,i have accepted a canadian visa and at the mo am doing the paperwork and sweating on a police cert. am a fully qualified hairdresser wit over 13 years experience,i didnt train through fas so hav no paperwork to speak of apart from a few diplomas from courses. do i need a cert of anykind to work?? am planning on staying in toronto,as hav irish and canadian friends there. rekon i have a good chance of getting a job but would rather see a few places b4 i apply(is it in a busy area etc..) also,is hairdressing purely based on a rent a chair basis,or is there salons where i could earn a set wage and bump it up with tips?? would appreciate feedback from anyone whos researched better than me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Molumpy

Just coming up to the end of our year in Vancouver under the U35 USIT program.
    We've had a great year and like Collinho says, it was the best decision we ever made, especially with the way things are in Ireland at the moment.
    Vancouver is a vibrant, youthful city. It's definitely a place for the outdoors types.
    I was lucky to get a job last September with the Olympics here so that really worked out well for us. Getting work here shouldn't be too bad. People talk about a recession here but really it's nothing compared to the way things are back home.
    I think it was already mentioned in another post but anyway, the cost of living here is high so make sure you hold onto all your receipts ;) Definitely look into filing your tax return before you leave as you should get a lot of it back!
    We're already looking to come back here permanently!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Coming up to my 5th day now living in Canada. Just a short hop outside of Van in Squamish. Gorgeous town but perhaps a bit too sleepy for my likings. Will have to see how it is when I get some wheels to get around.

Hoping to live off my savings for as long as possible and not work. Want to hop around towns and live in them for a while, when I find one that I like I'll look for work there.

Only got a few month lease on my place in Squamish, will probably move closer to the city next, maybe around Richmond.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jb82

i have a question about the medical. i am planning to be substitute teaching and therefore looks like i will need a medical. from the usit website it states that it costs 400 and i need to get it from them. however, is there anything to stop me from not getting it with them and getting one in canada when needed? i know usit say this cant be done but im thinking could be just saying this so theyll pocket a good chunk of that 400 euro.

it states on their site

'Unfortunately it is not possible for you to complete your medical in Canada, you must do in your country of residence before your Work Authorisation will be issued'.

could i not mention the medical and get my work authorisation issued and then get all the medical stuff sorted in canada if i needed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 bridie27

is there much bar work over on toronto??i have no experience but would like to get some and get working relatively soon when i get there....

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Yup, it's a legal requirement.

But if you are employed by a bar, you don't need to have it for the first 2 weeks (iirc), so you can do the exam online. It helps to have it already though, as the bar don't want the hassle of seeing if you pass or not, and will be more likely to hire if it's done already...

Costs about 20 bucks online...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Coming up to my 5th day now living in Canada. Just a short hop outside of Van in Squamish. Gorgeous town but perhaps a bit too sleepy for my likings. Will have to see how it is when I get some wheels to get around.

Hoping to live off my savings for as long as possible and not work. Want to hop around towns and live in them for a while, when I find one that I like I'll look for work there.

Only got a few month lease on my place in Squamish, will probably move closer to the city next, maybe around Richmond.
    get yourself out to Kits or Point Grey, right beside the beaches!!! - Richmond is a bit out, I know lads that moved there on year leases only to give them up to get closer to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

Hi All,

Im just wondering if anyone has any idea about manufacturing engineering work in Canada. Ive been doing a lot of searching and im not having much luck. Any help would eb appreciated.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

bridie27 wrote: »
    is there much bar work over on toronto??i have no experience but would like to get some and get working relatively soon when i get there....
    Loads!! and best bar places to work in is Queen Street West.. Tips are very high. and if you get a job is a handy irish pub over the summer you can easely come out with 200 dollars tips on 1 week-end night. no joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lillieme

Hi, Can anyone help me? I am a qualified Primary School Teacher here in Ireland I also have a degree in Social Care. I am awaiting my visa application to come through and anticipate being in Vancouver for May. I dont mind what work I do but I have particular interest working with young children, I know it is very difficult to get teaching work over there. However I would be interested in Summer camps, SNA work anything. Has anyone with similar qualifications to me being lucky with work? Could you advise me of agencies to contact. I have been looking into teaching English as a second language but have been told that the CELTA course is the one the is recognised in Vancouver/ Canada. It is over 2000 dollars and to be honest I dont have that money to spend on a course when I am already a qualified teacher..!! I would appreciate any help. Thanks in Advance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 JD2012

hi

does anyone have any recent info on working situaion in canada? plan to go mid to late march, other half is a carpenter, i can do any sort of office work. are there carpenters needed? is it hard for them to find jobs? any tips on where is a good place to start? we ar thinking toronto initially....

appreciate any advice at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

carpenters should have no difficulty wherever they go in Canada, loads of
    cities to choose from. no point in going into it much further really. Money
    will be better in Alberta that Toronto (I also work in the construction sector)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blueberry101

Hi guys. Any updates on the job scene in Vancouver? Especially for the accounts Payable/ Receivable accounting type work?

Am almost in dire straits back home and seriously considering making a move. Almost 33years old. Was a mature student so this is a massive decision for me!!
    Have a masters in International Management and undergrad in Economics. It would be a career choice for me, for two years. Just dont know if it would be worth it. Was looking at London but its seems with out work experience its a very though nut to crack!! Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 africando

My wife and me are trying to find jobs in Canada but its been difficult. We spend a few weeks applying to different companies but have not heard anything back. Any suggestions for how to make this easier and quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

africando wrote: »
    My wife and me are trying to find jobs in Canada but its been difficult. We spend a few weeks applying to different companies but have not heard anything back. Any suggestions for how to make this easier and quicker?

Go to a recruitment firm. Seems how things work over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 myrabelgretch

africando wrote: »

First you need to make sure that the companies you are applying to all have a positive labour market impact assessement (LMIA). Only companies with LMIAs can hire international workers. It takes some time to find LMIA companies but it is possible to find job postings from companies that have an LMIA. Just do some searches on sites such as workopolis.com, jobclassifed.com, jobsaloon.com, and monster.com. You may also find the following article with tips useful: uniivaa.com/108-grab-that-job-in-canada-with-a-cool-head..

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Have you 'Canadian-ized' your resumes? Depending on the job/industry and where you are there could be a slow down in certain areas at the moment - mainly oil and gas in northern Alberta/Calgary. If you are applying from outside Canada unless you're in a job in demand it will be had until you get here. I agree with the above poster that agencies are the way to start finding work - without Canadian experience you are at a disadvantage.
    If you already have a work permit you do not need to look for jobs with a LMIA attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lulu2017

Hi I am 27 years old living in Ireland with my soon to be husband(october2017)who is 33 and our daughter who is 3 years old! We really want to move to canada to live and work for 2 years! My partner is a qualified electrian and I'm a qualified healthcare assistant! We have been looking at everything online and different websites and still can't figure out what visa to go for and what we need to do! If anyone else was in out situation we would really appreciate the advice!😊

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JahRama

JenL wrote: »
    Have you 'Canadian-ized' your resumes? Depending on the job/industry and where you are there could be a slow down in certain areas at the moment - mainly oil and gas in northern Alberta/Calgary. If you are applying from outside Canada unless you're in a job in demand it will be had until you get here. I agree with the above poster that agencies are the way to start finding work - without Canadian experience you are at a disadvantage.
    If you already have a work permit you do not need to look for jobs with a LMIA attached.

That was very useful advice thank you.

would you have any advice for people with hotel management qualifications and experience but no Canadian work experience?

Advertisement