Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish license in Canada

Options
  • 27-05-2017 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I'm travelling to Canada on an IEC Visa tomorrow, just wondering if the Irish license is recognised in British Columbia? Hadn't planned on renting a car but would conconsider a job in the automotive industry if possible, Most require a drivers license.

Do I need to apply for any kind of international permit or is the standard Irish license recognised by law enforcement in BC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

jordanfaf wrote: »
    I'm travelling to Canada on an IEC Visa tomorrow, just wondering if the Irish license is recognised in British Columbia? Hadn't planned on renting a car but would conconsider a job in the automotive industry if possible, Most require a drivers license.

Do I need to apply for any kind of international permit or is the standard Irish license recognised by law enforcement in BC?

If you plan to live in BC then you have to get your license exchanged within 90 days of taking up residence. I believe this is obligatory. ICBC will do a straight swap the Irish license, but as it stands NDLS won't swap a BC License for an Irish License.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

You should also get a copy of you driver's record from NDLS

https://www.ndls.ie/driving-abroad.html#letter-of-entitlement-driver-statement

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jordanfaf

If you plan to live in BC then you have to get your license exchanged within 90 days of taking up residence. I believe this is obligatory. ICBC will do a straight swap the Irish license, but as it stands NDLS won't swap a BC License for an Irish License.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

You should also get a copy of you driver's record from NDLS

https://www.ndls.ie/driving-abroad.html#letter-of-entitlement-driver-statement

I'll only be in Canada for 3 months before returning to a Ireland so don't want to exchange my License. Was wondering. Will the Irish license suffice for the 3 months

I'll only be in Canada for 3 months before returning to a Ireland so don't want to exchange my License. Was wondering. Will the Irish license suffice for the 3 months

Sorry I had assumed that you were going for the full 2 years. 3 months should be ok on the Irish license. No need for IDP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If you swap an Irish licence for a Canadian licence and then some time later return to Ireland and look for an Irish licence and be told you need to resit the test???

Its nerve wracking and bad enough to have to sit the Irish test once in a lifetime but to be subject to that ordeal twice in one life time is too much.

doolox wrote: »
    If you swap an Irish licence for a Canadian licence and then some time later return to Ireland and look for an Irish licence and be told you need to resit the test???

Its nerve wracking and bad enough to have to sit the Irish test once in a lifetime but to be subject to that ordeal twice in one life time is too much.

It depends where you go.

If you have a license from Ontario, Newfoundland or Manitoba, they will do a straight swap. For others, it's been advised that you can fill out the lost license form and you will get your license back. I doubt there will be a need to sit the Irish test again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 gendrol75

If you have a license from Ontario, Newfoundland or Manitoba, they will do a straight swap. For others, it's been advised that you can fill out the lost license form and you will get your license back. I doubt there will be a need to sit the Irish test again.

This is true; I swapped my Ontario license for an Irish license shortly after the reciprocal agreement was signed.

HOWEVER, the Irish license given to me was restricted to automatic transmissions. Presumably this is because the Canadian provinces don't differentiate between transmission types on their licenses, and because 99% of cars in Canada are automatics.

I had to take the full test in-car in order to "upgrade" my Irish license. I did not have to take the written test or pay for 12 mandatory lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gendrol75

(I should add that I am Canadian by birth; the Irish license I swapped for was my first. YMMV if you have previously held a full Irish license.)

Advertisement