Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Options
  • 01-11-2013 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭

So I've been reading logs on here for a long time now, taking great inspiration from the dedication, progress and of course the failures experienced by people along their way through various training programmes.
    I've taken enough from the fantastic logs and advice on these threads so have decided, if at all possible, to give a little something back and share my experiences over the next year or so

A little background information:
    35 year old male, reasonably sporty background (played football regularly up until 3 years ago, swam regularly etc). I crawled home in my first DCM in 2005, a blistering time of 4:55.
    I packed in the "running" for a few years afterwards and stuck to football up until the Winter of 2011 when I gradually got back into running and started to take training a little more seriously - a 10k time of 52 minutes and a half marathon time of 1:58 followed shortly afterwards.

2012 saw another step up in trainining and since then I have gradually started to take things more and more seriously ( which has resulted in greater enjoyment I should add) - the half marathon time came down to 1:45 and I finished DCM in 3:55 in Oct 2012

2013 - I had taken a month off from running during December 2012 and started up again in January, bringing more tempo\repeat runs into my programme and moving up to 6 nights per week, more long runs and generally being clever about recovery\diet etc....
    10k time came down to 42:27 and the half to 1:41 ( which I was a teeny bit disappointed with)
    I finished off the year with a 3:36 in DCM which I was very, very happy with, I felt strong most of the way around and knew that it was all down to the step up in training

So there is the background, what now..? Well, I am planning to spend the next 2 months keeping up the well earned stamina that I have built up ( or at least as much as possible), drop to 5 nights running and focus on my 10k time in the new year.
    I will then look to progress onto half marathon training and then full marathon

Targets for the next year:
    10k time of sub 40
    half time of 1:35
    Marathon time of 3:20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

3 mile recovery run following DCM, felt great for the first 200 metres...then my legs reminded me that they weren't in the best of form. Stopped to stretch a couple of times, pace was around 9:00 per mile

Felt good aftewards and was glad to have done it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Duanington wrote: »

3 mile recovery run following DCM, felt great for the first 200 metres...then my legs reminded me that they weren't in the best of form. Stopped to stretch a couple of times, pace was around 9:00 per mile

Felt good aftewards and was glad to have done it

Welcome to the logs!

Still havent been out for a run since DCM! Just been stretching and foam rolling.....hopefully get out for one myself this weekend!

Good luck with the training!

rob w wrote: »
    Welcome to the logs!

Still havent been out for a run since DCM! Just been stretching and foam rolling.....hopefully get out for one myself this weekend!

Good luck with the training!

Thanks Rob ! No rush in getting back out I guess !

4 miles easy along the nice flat seafront at Clontarf - stopped each mile to stretch the legs\back etc......felt much better than my first run back and can feel the miles starting to ease out of the legs.

Avg pace 8:45

Rest day today- 45 minutes of press-ups \core work followed by ET on the sofa with my 4 year old .......very enjoyable!

Another slow\short run tomorrow is on the cards, feels strange running these types of runs when I've been used to putting the big miles in for a while now!

• Advertisement

3 miles yesterday - started off easy and then put in some stretches of pace along the 2nd\3rd miles to see where the legs were at. They felt quite good and it was a beautiful fresh Autumn afternoon - the perfect conditions for running really. I had to work hard to stay strict and stick to the small run that I had planned.
    Avg pace 7.45 per mile

Noticed a lot more people out running yesterday than in previous days, looks like more and more folks are beginning to emerge from the euphoric haze of DCM !

Long(ish!) very slow run planned this afternoon ( 10 miles) - it may be a little soon for this but I am keen to keep up some sort of routine and will be stopping to stretch at 2\3 mile intervals...I don't plan on putting any real effort into running for another week or so

I had planned 10 miles this evening but cut it short to 9 after common sense prevailed ( shortly before I headed out).

Started as usual with 40 odd minutes of core work and press-ups.

Ran out along the coast at Clontarf to East Point - on through north\east wall and the O2...took in some of the North Quays before turning back for home.

I've never really ran this route before and am chuffed to have found it....the quays looked quite spectacular with the crisp evening that was in it. ( I'm still in love with Dublin after DCM) , lovely run...legs felt good most of the way, a little tired towards the end but nothing major

3rd run in the new GT 2000s, must say I'm warming to them ( or them to me?) nicely...they felt snug and lightweight the further I went in them.

I ran this one purely by effort and ignored the watch...wanted to keep it easy but note as slow as my "old" LSR pace

Beautiful evening for it, everyone I met along the way seemed quite cheerful too , lots of saluting going on:)

Warm up 1.5 miles
    Run 6 miles
    Cool down 1.5 miles
    Total miles : 9 @ avg 8.40 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Welcome to the asylum.

Nice set of goals you have set for yourself - with the help you'll get from Boardsies, theres no doubt they'll tumble.
    Have you got any race lined up? Park Runs are great for keeping sharp and dont take too much out of you.

Welcome to the asylum.

Nice set of goals you have set for yourself - with the help you'll get from Boardsies, theres no doubt they'll tumble.
    Have you got any race lined up? Park Runs are great for keeping sharp and dont take too much out of you.

Thanks a mill AuldManKing - I don't have any definite races in mind but am certainly looking at a 10k soon ( maybe the Movember run this month or the RNLI 10k a couple of weeks later). After that I want to try to race once a month. Parkruns are definitely on the agenda, are they a weekly event? I know there is one in St Anne's too, which is near where I live.

yep - weekly & free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Welcome to the logs Duanington - your training/times are very reminiscent of my background so I'll be keeping an eye out here for your progress!

Now, has anyone mentioned Ultras to you yet??:P

belcarra wrote: »
    Welcome to the logs Duanington - your training/times are very reminiscent of my background so I'll be keeping an eye out here for your progress!

Now, has anyone mentioned Ultras to you yet??:P

Thanks Belcarra - ha ha - ultras are those crazy right wing football fans right? No mention yet
    :D

Nothing too exciting to report

1 mile w/u

3 miles easy*

1 mile w/d

total = 5 miles @ avg 8.12 min/mile

* I ran by feel again today, this would have actually been close to my previous marathon pace and a bit quicker than previous easy runs so I guess I'll have to keep an eye on the pace

Rest day today - 2 rest days per week* for the next few weeks to allow for some sort of life for a while

*In all likelihood I'll be playing 5-a-side on one of these though :o

45 minutes core\press ups

1 mile w\u

5 miles easy

1 mile w\d

Total miles :7 @avg 8.17 min\mi

Nothing much to report here except for the fact that the wind cuts through you and I seriously regretted not getting one of those running jackets in Lidl\Aldi ( I always confuse them) a few weeks back AND I lost my gloves at DCM

Anyway, p*xy on the way out into the wind and handy enough on the way back :D

Today was the first speed-type run of my post DCM life. While I'm not targeting any specific race this side of Christmas, I am trying to lay the groundwork to start a very specific 10k plan in January with targets in mind.

As such, I am following a plan...just no target races ....yet ( although parkruns are definitely on the agenda before Christmas)

So by my calculations my tempo pace for the next few months should be something like 6:40 and I've decided that my easy pace needs to increase a tad - I am well aware that I need to train harder and faster but keep a good level of stamina (with an LSR each week) if I am serious about improving times in the new year.

( feel free to ridicule this theory by the way in typical Boards style!)

Anyhooo, today's target was a mere 1 mile tempo to test the waters...at my new tempo pace of around 6:40. The wind\rain was blowing hard into my face with for the first half of the tempo mile and it was damn hard to hold the pace, easy peasy as soon as I turned for home though with the wind at my back.

2 miles easy
    1 mile tempo ( 6:35 mile)
    2 miles easy

Total : 5 miles @ average 7:45 minutes per mile

Enjoyed this one, even though it was only 1 mile tempo, it was definitely the toughest run since DCM - it dawned on me during the first half of the tempo mile as I tried to suck the air into my lungs that I haven't done any speedwork in yonks so there was a nice sense of mini-achievement afterwards

I'll be upping the miles on tempo runs over the next few weeks but I get the distinct feeling the change in pace is going to be tough. Bring it !:)

Up at 07:30 for today's run - a 4 mile easy all on the flat stretch along the coast road at clontarf ( mostly on grass).

Tired getting up but I was keen to get this out of the way as I had a busy day ahead with the kids, took a quick drink of water, waited a minute or two for a signal on the watch and off I went.

Freezing again this morning and as with all week there was a stiff ( Baltic) breeze blowing in my face on the way out. The roads were very quiet this morning except for the few brave souls that took the plunge for an early run, it always strikes me how early morning runners ALWAYS say hello to each other :)
    Anyway, turned for home after mile 2 and had the breeze at my back. Finished up and had a warm bowl of porridge, orange juice and peanut butter ( on bread)

Total Miles: 4 @ 8.15 min\mile

40 minutes weights and core work in the afternoon

Just to be anal concerning the 8 Nov run :)

A 1 mile tempo run ain't worth diddly squat (q the applause for the 1st usage of that in my boards lexicon history).
    For a tempo to be effective the perceived wisdom is for 3 miles or 15/20 mins at a speed that is 15 secs faster than your 10k speed I.e. A pace you can hold for 1 hour.

I know you said you were just trying out the pace, but I really wanted to use the words 'Diddly Squat'.
    :)

Just to be anal concerning the 8 Nov run :)

A 1 mile tempo run ain't worth diddly squat (q the applause for the 1st usage of that in my boards lexicon history).
    For a tempo to be effective the perceived wisdom is for 3 miles or 15/20 mins at a speed that is 15 secs faster than your 10k speed I.e. A pace you can hold for 1 hour.

I know you said you were just trying out the pace, but I really wanted to use the words 'Diddly Squat'.
    :)

Ha ha - thanks for that, I suppose I meant my first mile at my new tempo pace? Although to be honest I didn't realise that it wouldn't have been worth a curse as a mile on its own so I'll park that one off in the lessons learned bank :)I really was just out to try the pace to see how the legs\lungs. I'll be given it a proper go late next week ( 3 miles) and I'll see how I get on then

Also - it should be 15 secs FASTER than my 10k speed? Hmmm, I may have to rethink this one - I was going on the assumption that it should be just off shy of my 10k speed?

Rest day today just a stroll through the PP to the starting line of the remembrance run - Duanington jnr was taking place today, still waiting on the times but she was chuffed with herself, and rightly so - she hardly broke a blooming sweat which made me feel ill\sick\jealous\proud

• Advertisement

You're right.......slower than 10k pace. '

You're right.......slower than 10k pace. '

Great - makes sense now ! Thanks AMK

Long easy run today. Great evening for it too, nice and mild but still a little breeze to keep things cool.

Spent 30 minutes or so doing a few weights before heading out.

Started off on the coast as usual, ran to east point BP, turned and came back up the coast, turning off at watermill road and heading up into Raheny to get some sort of hill\drag into the run - I looped this road twice to make the miles up and to keep it from being too flat.
    ( its not much of a hill but it does put a bit of strain on the legs for a decent stretch)
    Felt good but definitely tired towards the end.

It feels odd to have 12 miles as the longest run of the week but I won't complain

Total Miles 12.2
    Avg pace: 8:35 min/mile
    1hour:44 minutes

40 minutes or so of core\pressup work then out into the fresh, crisp Dublin evening;

Usual route along the coast road at Clontarf, I try to keep as much of my running as possible on the grass.
    Legs felt great this evening even after yesterday's long run so I was pleasantly surprised - I suspect the starry sky and the moon reflecting off the sea had a bit to do with waking the senses up though.
    I had to slow myself down a few times on this one, I'm hoping to do Parkrun this Saturday so I can give the legs a good rattle then

1 mile warm up
    4 miles easy
    1 mile warm down

Total Miles: 6 @ avg 8.15 min\mile

Rest day yesterday to get me ready for the track today :D

Plan was to do 1x mile warm up, 6x400 repeats and 1x mile warm down

This was my first time trying this stuff on a track and actually with a GPS watch. I'd only previously guessed the distance and used a nike+ so I was a bit unsure how to pace the distance etc...

I found the session tough , especially towards the end - my lungs were screaming on the last rep but I was quite happy that I'd done the bit of work and I'm not fazed by the work that I know I'll have to put in.

Splits looked like this

1 mile warm up then:

1:38 ( first one, no idea how to pace it !)
    1:23
    1:19
    1:20
    1:20
    1:18 ( lungs were screaming at me for this one)

I walked about 100 metres between reps for recovery, might adjust this as I go along, maybe jog 200 ??

1 mile warm down

Finished off the evening with some pull-ups , weights and a bit of core work. Good day today, tough but good

Recovery run today - nice and easy on the grass.

3.4 miles @ 8.35 miles per minute

Hamstrings felt tight for the first time in quite a few months - obviously from the 400s yesterday.
    Few press-ups before I started

Hopefully get a Parkrun in tomorrow morning

St Anne's parkrun ( 5k)

Up at 8 o'clock for a slice of toast and some peanut butter and a cup of tea.
    Got my gear on and watched in envy as my youngest and her grandad started to tuck into their rashers\sausages....
    I left the house at around 09:00 and made my way towards St Anne's Park

2x miles warmup at an easy pace ( 8.15) then headed down the the start line. The plan was to run today's race in Tempo style ( but obviously quicker) - a couple of miles warm up then a decent warm down - and not treat it as a race as such. I really just wanted to see where I am at this distance

I was surprised at the large number of people lined up for the start, although it was a lovely clear morning for a run through the park.
    Everything seemed to be organised very well, there was a nice atmosphere amongst the crowd and we were off before too long.

I had no real idea of how to pace this as I've never raced the distance before, except that I knew I could stay under 7 minute miles....how much below, I had no real idea.

There was a little congestion at the start which was no big deal , it soon cleared , I kept an eye on the watch as we moved through the course, just making sure I wasn't creeping over the 7 minute mile mark.

I became very conscious of the effort I was having to put in around the 2 mile mark, I was breathing heavily and my form was suffering a tad - I'm just not used to the pace I guess. I have to admit that I was hanging on to the pace as much as anything for the last mile or so....it was a real effort to keep running as hard as I felt I was.
    Having said that, I did finish strongly, handed the barcode\token to the dude with the scanner - time of 20:07 which I suppose I should be happy enough with
    I watched a few finishers come home before heading off for a warm down....and making my way back home to the rashers !

A HUGE thanks to the folks that give up their time to make Parkruns happen, I'm delighted to have taken part today and would really advise people to check them out - I hope to run one every few weeks to see where I'm at in the speed department.
    I found today tough and had to dig deep at times but I'm certainly glad I did - I have wanted to get stuck into these kind workouts for a while and I'm starting to do just that
    All in all this week feels like a good week, two speed sessions down...a few dozen to go :o

Summary

2 miles w\u @8.15 pm
    5k (3.1 miles?)Parkrun @6.31 pm
    2 miles w\d @8.20 pm

Sunday
    2nd of my two weekly rest days I have planned for the month of November. I only took 2 days off running after DCM so I figure I'd spread the rest days out over the course of the month instead - my legs and mind are starting to feel quite fresh so I think its doing the trick.

Just 40 minutes of light core work\weights

Today
    4 miles nice and easy. Cracking but freezing evening for it out there peeps, get out and run !

My mind wanders on these crisp evenings, I get carried away with notions of how much I can take off this time or that time and end up speeding up without realising. Copped myself on a few times and slowed it back down.

Total miles: 4 @ 8.05 min miles

20 minutes of press-ups to start off

LSR day today - the plan was to do 14 miles in total and take in some hills - maybe hills is too strong a word, stretches of ascent.

I started off with the usual weights\core work ( 40 mins) then headed off into the f-f-freezing evening ..all gloved up of course. Running into the wind was nasty enough along the coast but as soon as I turned and moved in away from the coast I hardly noticed the breeze.

took in a couple of roads that lead from the coast up into Raheny again to get some form of a climb into the route and felt comfortable most of the way, I tired a little towards the end but I still had enough in the tank to put the boot down for the last mile which was nice to see.

I've been reading a lot about putting "quality miles" into training and I am starting to feel that I am getting more and more quality miles into my days....time will tell !
    I don't actually plan on targeting any 10ks until after Christmas but I am keen to keep up the LSRs and creep back up into 15\16 miles on these runs.

1 mile w\u
    12 miles easy
    1 mile w\d
    Total: 14 miles @ 8.45 min per mile

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    1 of two rest days planned each week for this month

Thursday
    I had planned to go to the track to do some more 400 repeats but I was late getting out of work, had to be back home at a certain time for a thing so time was against me, I opted for a tempo run instead. I'll only have 1 speed session this week but I'll be back to two next week.

2 miles easy w/u

Then
    3 miles tempo, the splits looked like this
    6:50, 6:45, 6:41

I'm basing my tempo pace off my recent 5k ParkRun result ( 20:08) and it actually felt a lot more like tempo ( as in hard but do-able) than the first time I tried my "new" tempo pace last week - in that instance I'm pretty sure I was going too fast.
    All of the calculators indicate that my tempo pace should be somewhere between 6:40-6:55 so that's what I'm going with from here on.
    I had previously run tempo runs of 7.10 for DCM training and going into this winter I had notions of running a new quicker tempo pace of 6:30 - to get faster but it turns out that it doesn't work that way!

The ParkRun has given me an idea of where I am at pace wise and using that race time I will be using the correct ( I hope) tempo pace for the next few months - I'll build the distances and adjust if\when race times come down.

Anyway - 2 mile w/d to finish with !

recovery run later today

Advertisement