Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find an ancestor in the Tithe Applotment books?

Options
  • 27-08-2017 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

My ancestor is Martin Kelly. From 1818 to 1922 Martin had children born in the parish of Loughglynn with an address at Eden in County Roscommon. From 1933 to 1938 he had more children but in the parish of Tibohine instead with no address given. I remember reading that Eden went from the parish of Loughglynn to Tibohine in those school folklore collections so that may not be significant. There's a gap in the baptism registers of Loughglynn from 1826 to 1835. This happens to coincide with when the Tithe was being carried out in the parish. Tibohine only started recording baptisms in 1833. By the time of Griffith's Valuation in 1857, Martin was living in Cloonsheever which is a nearby townland in the parish of Loughglynn. However, this could have been his son Martin who had his first child in 1852.

Any thoughts on why I might not be able to find him or any suggestions? Since the Tithe records came out online I haven't been able to find him but brushed it off since I didn't think that I'd learn much from it anyway. Lately though I've been in touch with a Kelly relative and we're trying to find the connection without much luck and this might be able to provide a clue if I could find him. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What was his job? It's possible whatever type of land he lived on was exempt from tithes.
    Also, have you checked the Tithe Defaulters list on FMP?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

pinkypinky wrote: »
    What was his job? It's possible whatever type of land he lived on was exempt from tithes.
    Also, have you checked the Tithe Defaulters list on FMP?

Thanks for the reply. He was a farmer according to his death record. He died in Cloonsheever. I know that the Martin in the Griffith's Valuation had 8 acres of land and 5 acres of bog in 1857. His son was farmer as well.

Nothing came up for Martin Kelly in the Tithe defaulters when I searched.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If he was a landless labourer at the time of the Tithes, then he wouldn't be in it either. He may have only gotten the land after the tithe period.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

There are a lot of townlands in Tibohine parish, did you browse them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

pinkypinky wrote: »
    If he was a landless labourer at the time of the Tithes, then he wouldn't be in it either. He may have only gotten the land after the tithe period.

That's a possibility all right. Thanks for the suggestion. It could be something like that. He could have lost whatever lands that he had and had to move too with no land in his name because I think his family could have originally been from Galway so it is possible that he hadn't gotten any lands at that stage. Thank you for that. It's a simple answer to the question but I had always assumed that the land had been passed down but obviously not anyway if they had been living in Eden. I suppose I assumed that he must have land when he has a family.
    tabbey wrote: »
    There are a lot of townlands in Tibohine parish, did you browse them all?

No I haven't browsed. I only searched for his name in the search boxes but I have heard that it's not meant to be reliable due to errors in transcriptions. I wouldn't have thought Martin Kelly would be a name that would transcribed incorrectly but you're right, it wouldn't be any harm to double check.

• Advertisement
Advertisement