Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A different scan of this record is available at irishgenealogy.ie - it's not much clearer but might help for comparison.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

The format in other entries is of the firstname and surname of the child, with first name of the father, and mother's first name and maiden name, then the sponsors.

I'm seeing something like:
    Christopher Ryan son (fil) of Christopherus? and Judith Quan. Looks like one of the sponsors was called Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Thank you for your help, the record on irish genealogy proofs this is not the person i am looking for as the mother is different. Thanks all.

I wonder can anyone make out the parents in this record, the marriage of Francis Caulfield and Eliza Kenny in Elphin on Feb 11th 1874.
    It's entry number seven.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Patrick and Bridget for the groom, Michael and ? for the bride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Hermy wrote: »
    I wonder can anyone make out the parents in this record, the marriage of Francis Caulfield and Eliza Kenny in Elphin on Feb 11th 1874.
    It's entry number seven.

Hard to get it clear, I've inverted, brightened and darkened and all I can get is Patrick & ? and Michael & ?.

Yeah, I couldn't do much better than the first names myself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The civil record, which of course only gives the fathers names, confirms ; Patt Cawfield, deceased and Michael Kenny.

The "l" is missing in the church record also : Caufield. Presumably a "clerical" error.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

rootsireland transcribes it as Patrick Caufield and Brigid Naughten, Michael Kenny and Dorothy McKeon. Witnesses Joan Beirne and Catherine Kenny.

Great stuff Spurious - thanks for that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think often times when someone has been up close with an actual register, it's far easier read than the scans, especially some scans which are of very poor quality (the shaky ones).

On a related note could you possibly check Roots on the off-chance there's a transcript of the parish record of the marriage of John Caulfield and Lizzie Tiernan in 1905.

John is supposed to be the son of the above mentioned Francis Caulfield but the civil record of John's marriage names his father as John.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    On a related note could you possibly check Roots on the off-chance there's a transcript of the parish record of the marriage of John Caulfield and Lizzie Tiernan in 1905.

John is supposed to be the son of the above mentioned Francis Caulfield but the civil record of John's marriage names his father as John.

rootsireland only has the civil record too.

Not to worry - thanks for checking.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Can i add a photo hear from my desktop?

I don't see why not.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sorry, mayby i wasnt clear, HOW can i? Sorry, technology isnt my cup of tea

Beg your pardon - I completely misread the situation. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1934/08973/5247746.pdf

Ok i found the link to post instead.

I cant read the Rank/Profession of the bride on Marriage no. 142

(no worries hermy!!)

How to...

Press Post Reply

Then scroll down to where it says Manage Attachments.

Click Manage Attachments and in the window that opens click Browse to find the image on your pc.

When you find the right image double click it and then click Upload which is on the far right of that new window.

When the image has uploaded you can close that window and post as usual with the image attached.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Domestic as in domestic servant?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

This from the 1901 census - the transcription has a question mark for Maryanne's relation to the head of the family. The info is there but smudged.
    It's not lodger. Maryanne is unmarried and age 60. I think there are two options:
    1) the sister of the head of family.
    2) the sister of the wife of the head of family, if the wife's maiden name was also same as married name.
    I'm thinking (1) but I'm not sure that's what I'm seeing?

link to census record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

This from the 1901 census - the transcription has a question mark for Maryanne's relation to the head of the family. The info is there but smudged.
    It's not lodger. Maryanne is unmarried and age 60. I think there are two options:
    2) the sister of the wife of the head of family, if the wife's maiden name was also same as married name.

Looks like sister (crossed out) and then lodger.
    As in sister to the head of the family.

This is also from the 1901 census, where I suspect there is a transcription error under "Where Born".
    The census is for Belturbet, County Cavan. The transcriber has written "Belmullet, Co Cavan." under "Where Born". I think the image actually says Belturbet?
    If there was a townland in Cavan named Belmullet I'd be more accepting, but I can't find one. I'd appreciate a second pair of eyes before I report a transcription error.

link to census

Thats really difficult to make out.

Is there a corresponding 1911 census that may show the relation to head more clearley?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Guys, I'm always asking you this: please post the url to the full page you want help with?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thats really difficult to make out.

Is there a corresponding 1911 census that may show the relation to head more clearley?

She is no longer listed anywhere on the street, so I think she was deceased, thanks for taking a look!

Definitely Belturbet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think sister of head of family for the other one.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03541/2303425.pdf

4th Birth down of Robert Phillips. Informant is Robert phillips his mark, something? Highstreet. Can anyone make out what the word is? There's a few other births that have this in them also. Any help appreciated!
    Thank you :)

Advertisement