Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello to all!!

Options
  • 16-11-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi...! been a gaming fan for years from the old Atari to my fav Dragons Lair and Space Ace which i must have spent a fortune on in the 80's playing downstairs in an arcade on Eden Quay. Just recently started using Mame with Mala frontend on an old PC,i did google others like Hyperspin although it looks fantastic being a noob it just boggled me!Anyway great to see there's a community here in Dublin which i only found reading through comments on Adverts whilst looking through Arcade stuff.Really looking forward to delving in further and am very interested in eventually building my own working cab maybe one day?

Chris...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hey man, welcome to the forum :)

You seriously cannot beat having your own cab. Definitely look into it. Just to say, if you want to build a wood cab, you'd actually be better off just getting a real one. Wooden cabs aren't that expensive at all, can get a nice one for €200 and under.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 christyjude

Thanks for the welcome and as i said only dipping into it at the moment,got an old version of Mame coupled with 3,000 Roms and am currently getting an update of Ver 149 with 6,000!!It reminds me when i started using XBMC after building a PC and it took me quite a while to get it tweaked reading forums and watching YT videos helped but this looks a lot harder especially Hyperspin as everything has to match file wise etc...Hopefully i'll get my head around it and the icing on the cake would be Daphne running all the CHD's Frame Files etc,fingers crossed and again thanks for the welcome.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Welcome along, quickest way to get started is to buy a woodie chassis and drop a PC in. Or if your more adventurous get out the jigsaw and start building.
    Plenty of advice around here on building and setting them up anyway :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Welcome
    Trust no one!
    (I may be lying)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 christyjude

Thanks all and as i said just getting into it.Started with an old Dell Dimension 3100C running Mala174 along with Mame0.83.Just about got some of the artwork going and found it a pain at the start having to go through the full list every time and edited it down to working Roms eventually.At the moment it's all Arcade stuff but the 149 version which i'm still in the process of getting has many more.I'll see what stuff is on it and really just want Arcade,Sega and N64 to start with,hopefully i'll get it working?Might go with Maximus for this stuff as it seems the simplest of all to start with,i'm not sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Good man,As O1s1n said I think the best route is to buy a cab straight up.
    It's quick,easy and less expensive than building your own in the long run.
    Plus you know you have a real cab that has lived in arcade with people pumping money into it.
    Nothing beats that authentic feeling in my opinion.
    Hit up mitchomagic on this forum...he will have a cab to cater for your needs a great price

welcome!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

welcome aboard!

My first cab i built myself from scratch when i hadn't a clue about arcade cabs and how they work, thread on it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70165619

It took me over a year to finish it and id NEVER do it again haha, much easier to buy a standard cab and fix it up yourself, ive since bought 4 or 5 more.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

keithgeo wrote: »
    welcome aboard!

My first cab i built myself from scratch when i hadn't a clue about arcade cabs and how they work, thread on it here:

Good Luck!

Ah, I remember that cab. Really came out looking great. Does it still take pride of place among your bought ones? :)

haha yeh its still there, the kids play that one more than the others because they can just scroll through and pick games. My wife uses the jukebox on it constantly, its great when people are over having a few drinks ive over 100gbs of albums on it using SK Jukebox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,853 ✭✭✭Steve X2

We might not have many arcades left in Ireland but at least we have keithgeo's house :)

Although there's one thing that really takes away from keiths cab collection and that's the Donkey Kong cab. You should really sell it on or something Keith as it just doesnt blend in well at all. I've a bit of space so i suppose I could take it off ya and you can owe me a favour or something.

What ya think? :)

haha if im ever selling it you will be the first one to know haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,853 ✭✭✭Steve X2

keithgeo wrote: »
    haha if im ever selling it you will be the first one to know haha

So if I'm getting what you're saying, and reading inbetween the lines correctly, you are saying you want to sell the cab to me today?

If I read between the lines it says, "sorry but im never selling that cab" :D

I think its the best looking one i have, love the Donkey Kong artwork, in fact the original Nintendo cabs all look great. Id love to have original ones.

Advertisement