Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CRT repair Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

urbanledge wrote: »
    Rang these guys earlier.And they still do CRT repairs.
    25e no refundable deposit on drop off and then 65e + parts for repair.
    I'd like to drop in the monitor I got off oision but I'm not sure if I have the funds at the moment.:(

http://www.boards.ie/out?f=0&url=aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRm9icmllbmF1dG9tZWRpYS5jb20lMkZNYWluJTJG&h=bd5d9

(by they way thats not insects on your monitor:D)

So €90 + parts? Seems very expensive, I'd prefer send the chassis off to Grant for that money

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeh was going to say, think it works out cheaper sending to him, especially now since you can use parcel motel to send the chassis over.

aye,
    gotta be as cheap as grantspin after postage costs.
    + you can drop in the tube too

maybe not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm debating this myself. Just contacted Grant a few minutes ago to get a quote.

It would be great to just drop the monitors off with this crowd and let them look after the whole process. You know you'll get a working monitor back. But yeah, it's pricey.

Sending to Grant will mean shipping & work costs & parts & return shipping - and the risk that there's another issue apart from the chassis.

All depends on his costs really! :)

On a side point, great to see there's still a business supporting CRTs in Dublin, even if they are expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ha ha mine worked perfectly - suckers :)

Actually no, it blew up.. Power supply on mine is toast so I'm happy enough just to send the chassis off and refit myself.

Master of the Universe

Actually no, it blew up...

At least we had no fatalities :D

How much is grant charing bandit?

Master of the Universe

I told him I had three chassis to be repaired. Maybe he'll cut us a deal if we post all three over to him together.

we could use the other two to get mine working ;)

• Advertisement

Grant fixed 2 for me so far, it cost me about 130 both times including shipping. he replaced all the caps and the flyback on both i sent him. shipping with anpost was 30euro each time, it will be much cheaper with parcel motel

Grants's service & abilities are second to none, & his online reputation preceeds him. Can't see a physical store beating him especially when parcel motel are factored in. As Keith says, the board gets caps done & whatever repair needed for around €130 depending on the problem. It's €90 + whatever parts in the physical store

Sounds like a good deal,
    caps gotta be a tenner and flyback 35e

Master of the Universe

Sounds like a good deal,
    caps gotta be a tenner and flyback 35e

So if €90 + parts of the above with the walk in crowd and we'd be talking about €135. (say round it up to €140)

With Grant you're talking €100 for the work and fix and then additional postage via parcel motel. (say a tenner)

So €140 (walk in) versus €110 (Grant) at an approximation.

Is it worth paying €30 extra to a walk in place for the convenience and added advantage of having them check out the whole monitor?

Tricky one!

For me, id prefer sending to grant not only because he is slightly cheaper, but because i know he does a great job and has a lot of experience fixing these types of chasis too. The two i sent him came back brand new, the picture on them is perfect.

keithgeo wrote: »
    For me, id prefer sending to grant not only because he is slightly cheaper, but because i know he does a great job and has a lot of experience fixing these types of chasis too. The two i sent him came back brand new, the picture on them is perfect.

I'd be the same, the likes of doing the caps on a chassis repair as standard shows the level of work you're paying for.

maybe the 25deposit comes out of the the 65?

someone email them !

I'm turning mine into a fish tank.

Master of the Universe

maybe the 25deposit comes out of the the 65?

someone email them !

Usually that's how deposits work! :D - definitely worth confirming.

Just talking to Grant now and I'm thinking we may be a bit mad to send off three chassis when we haven't even confirmed that the tubes/yolks are working.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Usually that's how deposits work! :D - definitely worth confirming.

Just talking to Grant now and I'm thinking we may be a bit mad to send off three chassis when we haven't even confirmed that the tubes/yolks are working.

I mean is it 25 upfront then 40 + parts when the problem is diagnosed and confirmed to go ahead and fix

or 25 + 65 +parts!

• Advertisement

Must take a closer look at the tube, it should be compatible with a Polo 25 chassis ?

Master of the Universe

Might be worth our while even dropping them in at the €25 deposit just to see exactly what's wrong with them.

If they then quote a good price to fix & parts we could go ahead.

If they quote mental costs to fix then we'll at least know what's wrong with them (and can send the chassis off to Grant if that's the problem)

Advertisement