Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leonids Meteor Shower November 17th

Options
  • 16-11-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

November 17, late night until dawn the following morning Leonids
    Radiating from the constellation Leo the Lion, the Leonid meteor shower is famous. Historically, this shower has produced some of the greatest meteor storms in history – at least one in living memory, 1966 – with rates as high as many thousands of meteors per hour. Leonid meteor storms often recur in cycles of 33 to 34 years, although the display around the turn of the 21st century was not as rich as the 1966 display. And, in most years, the Lion whimpers rather than roars, producing a maximum of perhaps 10-15 meteors per hour. Like most meteor showers, the Leonids ordinarily pick up steam after midnight and display the greatest meteor numbers just before dawn. In 2011, however, the last quarter moon will be shining near the radiant point of the shower in the constellation Leo. The unwelcome presence of the moon is sure to dampen the 2011 Leonid display. Try watching from late night November 17 till dawn November 18, though the moonlit glare will subdue the 2011 Leonid meteor shower.
    09nov16_300.jpg

from Earthsky.com

What's the possibility of clear skies tomorrow night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

muckish wrote: »

What's the possibility of clear skies tomorrow night?

0% might be better on Saturday night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Its tradition i think at this stage for it to be either cloudy or raining on the night of the 17th November,at least where i live anyway:(.I have an affinity for the Leonoids as it was when i first watched a display of them back in the mid 90's that i began to love Astronomy.It wasnt a really big display that night and i know there's bigger ones like the Perseids(sp) but it left an impression on me:).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Leonids, like any meteor shower, are visible for many days either side of the peak. So even well into next week, you'll have a good chance of seeing some if we get clear skies. In effect, meteor showers are not one night shows, as often portrayed in the media. So if you have clear skies over the next week, and even a few days after that, have a look. "Shower" is also a bit misleading as it is not like a fireworks display. You'll need time and patience and a bit of luck, so persevere. Give yourself at least 10 or 15 minutes and don't just look at the radiant, but scan the skies too. Even if you don't see any meteors, there are lots of wonders in the night sky to be seen. Check the astronomy forum.

Advertisement