Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The €3,000 per month luxury welfare apartments

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

The Margaret Cash thing opened a lot of people's eyes to the absolute pee take that is the welfare system.

It's a national scandal against workers in the country.

If you are renting or paying your mortgage in this area you have every right to be furious.

It's not the social housing in itself - it's the luxury nature of it combined with the location and the cost.

It's another belt in the face to hard pressed workers and gravy for welfare recipients.

It is immoral and it is wrong.

Immoral is right , sense this equality and social integration working man is caught again
    U should only be given a basic standard cheap as u can house , otherwise why work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Why on earth would FG pass up an opportunity like this? It sets up some of the cheapest and most effective PR/propaganda that they can buy.

Put a few social housing people into overpriced rentals (preferably with financial connections to people who can land you a well paid board/director position when you're done in office) - and then you've perfeectly set the stage (with the help of some social media shills to encourage it) to pit working people against the least well off - completely diverting attention from any of the real issues (like the fact that government is capable of and should be directly building enormous numbers of housing units themselves, for this purpose, instead).

Divide and Conquer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

KyussB wrote: »
    Why on earth would FG pass up an opportunity like this? It sets up some of the cheapest and most effective PR/propaganda that they can buy.

Put a few social housing people into overpriced rentals (preferably with financial connections to people who can land you a well paid board/director position when you're done in office) - and then you've perfeectly set the stage (with the help of some social media shills to encourage it) to pit working people against the least well off - completely diverting attention from any of the real issues (like the fact that government is capable of and should be directly building enormous numbers of housing units themselves, for this purpose, instead).

Divide and Conquer
    The less well off ? U mean the workers and not the welfare recipients right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

For many working taxpayers in their 20s and 30s, buying a house, getting married, and having a family are a pipe dream. Their futures are being strangled by high taxes, high rents, and unaffordable home prices.

And yet state dependents can have as many children as they want and live in luxury €3,000/month apartments?

Someone who does not work or contribute should not have a higher standard of living than someone who does. That's a basic moral tenet that our government seems to have forgotten.

KyussB wrote: »

Divide and Conquer
    It is more likely that the relatives of some of the councillors will end up in those dwellings than that there is a connection between the Developers and anyone in the Council who purchased them.
    I can do conspiracy theories too but mine are more plausible than yours.

• Advertisement

Maybe the Celtic tiger pups are back , but the ordinary people just don’t see it !

First thread I see everyone is getting on and agree ! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

I don't understand this?? Why the **** are the government making life so hard for working people and handing apartments like this on plates to people who don't even try.

I'm working the past 20 yrs, pretty average income so could never dream of owning in this area. I suppose i should just shut up and enjoy my 3 hr commute because of terrible public transport that the government should be investing in for the " people who get up early in the morning ".

What are the government gaining though, I'm sure a lot of the people that get these apartments won't bother voting anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

For many working taxpayers in their 20s and 30s, buying a house, getting married, and having a family are a pipe dream. Their futures are being strangled by high taxes, high rents, and unaffordable home prices.

These are the very people who should have state owned affordable long term social housing available to them. It's not only the permanently unemployed that need housing.

Plenty of people of my generation grew up in social housing and almost everybody's parents worked and paid rent to the local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There should be actual protests by workers at this stage.

They'd be shot down as either racists or bourgeois.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

Not one of these lotto windfall recipients will ever vote fg! They’ll bend over backwards for the cradle to grave welfare recipients here though. Disgusting

What do the councilors do except try block any development in their area. Oh but nothing but the best for the council tenants!

These are the very people who should have state owned affordable long term social housing available to them.

Well, the government today doesn't give two hoots about people in their 30s paying astronomical rent in house shares, getting taxed to the hilt, and unable to save for their futures.

Just before last night's Toy Show, the news featured beautiful apartments in Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim, that will be given to asylum seekers before Christmas.

They're much nicer than the crowded, substandard accommodation many educated, hardworking Irish people are currently living in.

I believe a serious right-wing backlash is coming in Ireland. It's inevitable when every day working people are treated to the spectacle of others being handed things for free that they can't afford themselves.

If you are not someone who has already chosen to receive benefits then being given one of those dwellings will be a life sentence. You will not travel abroad to seek work and broaden your horizons. you will not seek to improve your situation as you will lose your rights or be forced to pay more than a pittance for the rental on the property.
    every life decision made will have the thought of what happens to "my" apartment shadowing over it. It'll be a poverty trap in not just monetary terms, a highly desirable poverty trap but a poverty trap none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

Not a bad trap to be in though is it ?

If you are not someone who has already chosen to receive benefits then being given one of those dwellings will be a life sentence.

I actually can't believe you're comparing being given a free €3,000/month luxury apartment to spending life in prison.

I actually can't believe you're comparing being given a free €3,000/month luxury apartment to spending life in prison.
    If you don't see not making an attempt at some sort of self-actualization in life as deprivation of opportunity then I can't help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

They'd be shot down as either racists or bourgeois.

There is an election on the way. That's the place to express your feelings. Unaffordable rents, crippling insurance rates, 90 year old stuck on trolly for days, no school places for kids, etc, etc, etc.

ABFG would be my recommendation. None of the above problems are the fault of the unemployed or social welfare recipients, they don't spend our taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

This has just crystallised my decision to gtfo of this s**thole.

I'm a fool for staying as long as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

There is an election on the way. That's the place to express your feelings. Unaffordable rents, crippling insurance rates, 90 year old stuck on trolly for days, no school places for kids, etc, etc, etc.

ABFG would be my recommendation. None of the above problems are the fault of the unemployed or social welfare recipients, they don't spend our taxes.

Unfortunately ABFG is not a party.

And every other party is the same or worse.

The only way to get a government that is any different to to move to a different country.

Unfortunately ABFG is not a party.

And every other party is the same or worse.

The only way to get a government that is any different to to move to a different country.

only 13 FG councillors out of 40 in DLR. I don't see one party having driven this through without the cooperation of many other parties in so much as any Councillor has power to direct unelected officials in a county council from doing as they please.

http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie:9071/mgMemberIndex.aspx?FN=PARTY&VW=TABLE&PIC=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

oh FG need to go, no doubt. trouble is the rest of the field...i dont believe for a moment any of them are any more capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

If you are not someone who has already chosen to receive benefits then being given one of those dwellings will be a life sentence. You will not travel abroad to seek work and broaden your horizons. you will not seek to improve your situation as you will lose your rights or be forced to pay more than a pittance for the rental on the property.
    every life decision made will have the thought of what happens to "my" apartment shadowing over it. It'll be a poverty trap in not just monetary terms, a highly desirable poverty trap but a poverty trap none the less.

What's the average length of time to be waiting on the housing list. It's years isn't it? Years in which they haven't managed to improve their situation. It's not going to be the hugely subsidised accommodation in an area with loads of jobs that holds them back, it's going to be their own nature and upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Not one of these lotto windfall recipients will ever vote fg! They’ll bend over backwards for the cradle to grave welfare recipients here though. Disgusting

What do the councilors do except try block any development in their area. Oh but nothing but the best for the council tenants!

Not only that, they’ll actually complain about the government and how they’re being robbed, not doing enough for the people, etc. Yeah, there’s one class of people getting robbed alright, and it’s certainly not the welfare class.

Right. We can vote from the left here , fg to the far left. Not much of a choice Is it ? The workers here don’t matter , there is the biggest open goal here for a new party to form. The only thing I think relegating fg to junior party would do , is make them think twice about lying , deceiving and screwing over workers again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Anyone know if there are public records that show which way councillors voted on this. I live in the area and have worked hard like so many to do so. I accept the governments role in social housing but this can't be the solution. It's divisive and will change the tone of politics to the right more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

There's two angles to this. Government providing luxury accommodation when only adequate basic accomodation is required. Then you essentially have government paying 3.1 million in rent to a German investor fund for the next 25 years. So 78 million paid to a private fund enriching foreign investors at the expense of Irish tax payers. Why were these units not built by the council? They could be build cheaper than that 78 million and it would be an asset owned outright by the state that would last alot longer than 25 years. There has to be someone in the council or government with links to that fund or else money changed hands.

Not only that, they’ll actually complain about the government and how they’re being robbed, not doing enough for the people, etc. Yeah, there’s one class of people being getting robbed alright, and it’s certainly not the welfare class.
    Oh yeah. I’ve saud it relentlessly on boards over the years. They have the most obscene welfare state in the world and still feel screwed over. Of course they believe it , because the entire media here is left wing. Rte in particular. Then the councilors, politicians want their votes. Of course they’ll tell them what they want to hear. It’s great keeping welfare rates so high here , make sure all the wasters don’t leave Ireland. Pity they don’t think the same about workers

MAJJ wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are public records that show which way councillors voted on this. I live in the area and have worked hard like so many to do so. I accept the governments role in social housing but this can't be the solution. It's divisive and will change the tone of politics to the right more.

Yeah. I want this plastered up everywhere for people to see

Lpt should be scrapped. The council are giving properties away, let them in there start paying a fair share. Even if it is with the free money they get !

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is everyone that owns property that isnt just a single landlord operating on their own, some sort of animal named fund now?

Or more precisely, bird named.

• Advertisement

If you don't see not making an attempt at some sort of self-actualization in life as deprivation of opportunity then I can't help you.

If they can't manage to find a job and make something of their lives while unemployment rates are at their lowest in 14 years, I don't think being given an apartment is the root of the problem.

Advertisement