Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a "people person"?

• 20-10-2012 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

How good are you dealing with people? Could you convince those lads in the Middle East to stop killing themselves or do you shout "mam, where's my fucking meatloaf?!" and drink proudly from a mug that says "do I look like a fcuking people person?"

Public poll cause if you're a social butterfly you should be able to own up with confidence. Trying to keep the bluffers at bay..

How are your 'people skills'? 193 votes

Dire
    0%
    Below average
    17%
    ZabbohsmanjohndanielmoorenyarlothothepSEPT 23 1989ukonline[Rasta]Leopardifandojimthementalmconigolareyawellrs8Onesimuspragmatic1knotknowbodyhousetypebanirishladAenaesoxysept 34 votes
    Average enough
    33%
    Sean7TristramtolosencSomnusTazzerNultyphaserszero19mallardsorchidsrprettymatthew8IrishIrishCian92herissonTaco CorpMalaribntTiGeR KiNgSnotahopeinhellRayM 65 votes
    Above average
    30%
    Victorsuper_furrygenieweemcdphilologosNailz4zn76tysfajdxpcon1982ciano1RemmyMagillshockwaveZer0anniehooBryan4presidentcallaway92Angelandiemark rentonHande hoche!Teyla Emmagan 58 votes
    Fecking brilliant
    18%
    ZascarTuskyPlayboyR0otWibbsDuiskeSinfoniaGumboM5Schismmsg11squodemilyjmcBassfishYugiohspark23SnowieFloatingVoterKnex*IsMiseLisa 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It really depends on the type of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Average enough
    I'm good at pretending to be a people person, but beneath the soft flabby crust there lies a bitter, hardened and uncaring wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Average enough
    Ew no. People are, for the most part, morons and I don't have the patience to deal with them.

I can turn it on when I need it though, like in an interview type situation I'm smooth as anything. Real life though I either get fed up of people's bullshyte and walk away or my anxiety takes over and I leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Average enough
    I like to think I am, but its when it suits me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Above average
    I can talk to people just fine. "Hello. How do you do." No fucking problem. Fuck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Would like to think I'm reasonable with people but my patience wears thin with arrogance and ignorance , ironically some people have both these "qualities" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Fecking brilliant
    How good lookin are these people?

Average enough
    I can talk to people just fine. "Hello. How do you do." No fucking problem. Fuck off.
    Hello. How do you do?

Above average
    phasers wrote: »
    Hello. How do you do?

Very well, thank you. How do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 OisinS94

Fecking brilliant
    I like to think I am, but its when it suits me :pac:

Yep I'm in the exact same boat here. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Average enough
    Supraman wrote: »
    Would like to think I'm reasonable with people but my patience wears thin with arrogance and ignorance , ironically some people have both these "qualities" .

Yes.. how very ironic that is. *bigsmile* *high-five* *punch in kidney*

Average enough
    Very well, thank you. How do you do?
    Also well. That event that happened was certainly noteworthy, wasn't it?

Above average
    Also well. That event that happened was certainly noteworthy, wasn't it?

It was. Good show by the opposition though. Positively sporting. Rather dreadful weather we've been having lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Average enough
    Im great at smoozing

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Supraman wrote: »

Now that you mention it, you appear to be ignorant as to the definition of irony.

Average enough
    It was. Good show by the opposition though. Positively sporting. Rather dreadful weather we've been having lately.
    Yes, the varying fronts are quite affronting. Good drying out though, I haven't had to get out the clothes horse in almost a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Thinly veiled "I watched Come Dine with Me" thread.

Above average
    Yes, the varying fronts are quite affronting. Good drying out though, I haven't had to get out the clothes horse in almost a week.

Indeed. My mac on the other hand has had quite the airing out lately. I must say, I get some rather funny looks in the tube with water dripping off my bowler hat. I must get my umbrella repaired.

Average enough
    Indeed. My mac on the other hand has had quite the airing out lately. I must say, I get some rather funny looks in the tube with water dripping off my bowler hat. I must get my umbrella repaired.
    I thoroughly recommend Jolly Brollies on Main St. He'll repair your bumbershoot and re-lacquer your brogues for a thruppence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Asking boardsies are they people persons is like asking priests do they like children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Fecking brilliant
    I'd say the people with the high post counts on Boards haven't got great people skills!

Look at the big brain on brad

Above average
    I thoroughly recommend Jolly Brollies on Main St. He'll repair your bumbershoot and re-lacquer your brogues for a thruppence

Egads! O', such bargains! I purchase my newspaper and tobacco from the same place for a farthing! Obviously, they have benefitted from the King's patronage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Brilliant, even though I hate people generally. I work in customer service so I've had to learn to fake sincerity and genuine seeming empathy. Really, if I wanted to train someone to be a remorseless killer I'd give them a couple years work experience in retail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

no.fcuk off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I'd say the people with the high post counts on Boards haven't got great people skills!

If only there was some kind of way to lower your post count and make everyone think you were a new poster.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm good at pretending to be a people person, but beneath the soft flabby crust there lies a bitter, hardened and uncaring wanker.

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Nah, most people are cúnts. I save my icing for the cakes.

Everyone gets one chance.

• Advertisement

Average enough
    Egads! O', such bargains! I purchase my newspaper and tobacco from the same place for a farthing! Obviously, they have benefitted from the King's patronage.

Oh yeah, we've got this banter thing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Oh yeah, we've got this banter thing down.

Get back into character!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Ew no. People are, for the most part, morons and I don't have the patience to deal with them.

This.

But after years of working in retail/customer service I've mastered faking an interest in others quite expertly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

are mods people?

Average enough
    kowloon wrote: »
    Get back into character!
    Good Heavens! I was overtaken briefly by a bout of ill humours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I hate people, but I don't show it to their faces. I'm good at pretending to care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

vard wrote: »

Now that you mention it, you appear to be ignorant as to the definition of irony.

Not at all , it is a recent experience with someone that led me to post that . Too long a story to go into on a message forum .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Tigger08

Average enough
    Well, I'm not a recluse but I just don't need to know everything about everybody. Some people nearly watch others through binoculars. Not my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 OisinS94

Fecking brilliant
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    are mods people?

They used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Above average
    Was 1000x times more a people person until I started working with customers, I now have very little patience for people in general and would go as far as say I have contempt for a lot of people too, lot of very negative traits in people that I have absolutely no time for.

Should I be with people I like, or am introduced to people who I would like to get to know this is completley different, but for passing myself with people or dealing with day to day shíte small talk I have little interest and make little effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Below average
    Valentina wrote: »
    This.

But after years of working in retail/customer service I've mastered faking an interest in others quite expertly.

Feck it well I just couldn't do that kind of codology. Far too honest to be letting on i'm interested and also if I'm selling something I would point out the flaws in what it is or say 'its only a pile of shoite tbh / only good for scrap but you might get use out of it'.

but then I knew one lad who had fairly dire social skills in general but he was great at selling stuff. as long as he was trying to flog something he was full of confidence but for any other situation he was fairly useless, even if he tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Below average
    eth0 wrote: »
    How good are you dealing with people? Could you convince those lads in the Middle East to stop killing themselves or do you shout "mam, where's my fucking meatloaf?!" and drink proudly from a mug that says "do I look like a fcuking people person?"

Public poll cause if you're a social butterfly you should be able to own up with confidence. Trying to keep the bluffers at bay..

I love people except when I hate people, then I kill them with an elevator shaft and scream, "See you at the party Rctor!"

Above average
    Good Heavens! I was overtaken briefly by a bout of ill humours.

Obviously a dramatic dose of hysterical wandering womb. Quickly, fetch the leeches!

Above average
    Feck it well I just couldn't do that kind of codology. Far too honest to be letting on i'm interested and also if I'm selling something I would point out the flaws in what it is or say 'its only a pile of shoite tbh / only good for scrap but you might get use out of it'.

but then I knew one lad who had fairly dire social skills in general but he was great at selling stuff. as long as he was trying to flog something he was full of confidence but for any other situation he was fairly useless, even if he tried.

I think you need to create a moral vacuum for both, more so in sales, really ignore the fact that you sound like a complete shill. I hate having to feign empathy - I'm not good at it, it doesn't come across as genuine, I will apologise, usually more than once but it's difficult to go much further than that without really hating myself for the way I sound.

As for sales, some people do not seem to have a soul and would say anything to get that sale. I would rather sell nothing and be genuine and content within myself than an emasculated company man lying through his fake smile.

^ All massive generalisations, but in my experience people in sales are also some of the biggest spoofers in life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Below average
    efb wrote: »
    Everyone gets one chance.
    But only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Below average
    No. I've become less empathetic and more cynical the older I get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Below average
    weemcd wrote: »
    I think you need to create a moral vacuum for both, more so in sales, really ignore the fact that you sound like a complete shill. I hate having to feign empathy - I'm not good at it, it doesn't come across as genuine, I will apologise, usually more than once but it's difficult to go much further than that without really hating myself for the way I sound.

As for sales, some people do not seem to have a soul and would say anything to get that sale. I would rather sell nothing and be genuine and content within myself than an emasculated company man lying through his fake smile.

^ All massive generalisations, but in my experience people in sales are also some of the biggest spoofers in life

I'd be the same, that level of fake goes above and beyond what i'm willing to do for the slight chance of making a few more bob. Not even sure if sounding like a shill is a good strategy - the yanks love the ould shoite talk but if I walked into a shop and got the impression that someone was on the shilly side I'd only treat them with suspicion and distrust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

No - fúck off you cúnt.

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

Above average
    It depends, my social anxiety is a pox though. Although I force myself to fake it to make it if that makes sense? So I'm ok, I guess?

Above average
    I'd be the same, that level of fake goes above and beyond what i'm willing to do for the slight chance of making a few more bob. Not even sure if sounding like a shill is a good strategy - the yanks love the ould shoite talk but if I walked into a shop and got the impression that someone was on the shilly side I'd only treat them with suspicion and distrust

Same as me my friend, common sense. Not in the sanitised pc gobshíte infested world we live in now though.

We are from a simpler time when people were able to say what they meant without having to dress it up, over sensitise everything in case you tell someone a genuine truth and they get offended.

I don't listen to yes men.

• No. I don't like most people. I think I do a fairly good job of hiding that, but I'm an introvert. I have a select group of people I actually enjoy being around, but generally I prefer to be on my own or with the OH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement